Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GSF or gs450h?

Looking for space to seat 5.

I was looking at a gs450h, however I thought a gsf might fit the bill, possibly a bit more in fuel, however it might hold its money a bit better etc.

Stupid question, I do 12k a year, sitting at 70-80 on the motorway, will a gsf do 30mpg?  Not bothered about fuel use at other times!

Anyone got one for sale or know of one?

My experience of owning a lighter (only slightly) RCF over the last 28,000 miles is about 23mpg. Long trips on the motorway, stubbornly sticking to limit and eco mode gets approx 30mpg...but that’s no way to live. Given the overall costs of running a car like this a few extra hundred on fuel every year is, as my dad would say: ‘a p!ss in the ocean...’ but then again I would never consider owning a non-plug in hybrid

Like you I considered a GS450h against a GSF. I opted for the GSF in the end as although the fuel consumption on short runs is higher, on a long motorway run it didn't look that much worse than the 450h. The GSF I had returned 17-22 mpg in urban driving but that went up to low thirties on a decent run involving motorways. Best I ever saw was 36mpg. For what it's worth I found the GSF to be very frustrating to drive in urban traffic. It is a very fast car and it needs to go fast. This and the local council's stupid 20mph blanket speed limit LED me to change to an RX which is much better suited to the type of driving I am allowed to do.

9 hours ago, jason61c said:

Stupid question, I do 12k a year, sitting at 70-80 on the motorway, will a gsf do 30mpg?  Not bothered about fuel use at other times!

Yes it will do 30 mpg at 70 to 80 mph.

What is your budget?

9 hours ago, jason61c said:

I was looking at a gs450h, however I thought a gsf might fit the bill, possibly a bit more in fuel, however it might hold its money a bit better etc.

Yes it will.

30-33 mpg is easily achievable at a constant at those speeds.

Just as a reference in my old gs450h I’ve managed to get from London to Cardiff at 51mpg but that include longish 50mph limit on M4.

Normally from London to German border it was around 40mpg to drop to average 32after 600km in Germany.

450h was doing 26mpg at 120mph with cruise on. Lowest I’ve seen was around 18 at full throttle at 155mph, obviously without cruise control as it doesn’t work then.

in my opinion GSF is a brilliant car but not as a daily driver one in which you will go to Tesco and do school runs. For those purpose 450h/300h is way better.

You should buy both 🙂

11 hours ago, jason61c said:

This is pretty much the only reason I have to get rid of my RCF. It’s looking likely I’ll be working from home for at least the next year or so and even when I go back to the office it will only be 1 or 2 days a week. So it’s me doing the school run. And with four kids, that means I’ve had to borrow an old golf off my dad and my car just sits fallow on the driveway. If only I could convert the cup holders in the back...

18 minutes ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

This is pretty much the only reason I have to get rid of my RCF. It’s looking likely I’ll be working from home for at least the next year or so and even when I go back to the office it will only be 1 or 2 days a week. So it’s me doing the school run. And with four kids, that means I’ve had to borrow an old golf off my dad and my car just sits fallow on the driveway. If only I could convert the cup holders in the back...

yep, having 3 kids does limit things!

Our does 30mpg plus at those speeds but it’s currently averaging 17.5mpg on the daily school run and back to work. Well worth it IMO as there will be plenty of time to run on electric in the future. 

1 hour ago, F.A. said:

Our does 30mpg plus at those speeds but it’s currently averaging 17.5mpg on the daily school run and back to work. Well worth it IMO as there will be plenty of time to run on electric in the future. 

thats good to know.  Its just about knowing where its ok and the rest doesn't really matter.

Foot stomp mode I get single figures in mpg - not that I care during said times.

Day to day I am averaging around 23 mpg, thats 32 mile round trip to work which is a combination of back roads and a dual carriageway stint.

Have driven to Scotland and Wales, cruise control 76mph, average about 34mpg which includes a few blips to redline when I was bored 😛

44 minutes ago, jason61c said:

3 have come out of the woodwork, i'm just working out finances and crunching what makes sense to myself.

Ironically, no 450H's have!

Mind sharing where these three are ? I wouldn't discount a GSF, at least I could get my elderly mum in the back :wink3:

I can still see one or two gs450h 's that are still for sale from when I was looking in January.

Minimum requirements should be recent Lexus hybrid health check. Best also check exhaust, leaking radiator and dampers.

Expect to spend a grand on first years maintenance. Anything less is a bonus. Buy a 10+ year old car and your depreciation should be less than this figure.

6 hours ago, doog442 said:

at least I could get my elderly mum in the back

My grandad loves getting taken out in mine, my dads RX is too high for him to get in and out of with ease. The GS is 'just right' 😌 - could also be that he's a petrol head and likes speed 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

I can still see one or two gs450h 's that are still for sale from when I was looking in January.

Minimum requirements should be recent Lexus hybrid health check. Best also check exhaust, leaking radiator and dampers.

Expect to spend a grand on first years maintenance. Anything less is a bonus. Buy a 10+ year old car and your depreciation should be less than this figure.

Wow. My GSF cost less than half of that to maintain in the first year I owned it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fair and square said:

It's probably so far the most expensive variation of the car listed based upon year and milage. 

But that blue is so damn sexy.