Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My GS430 bonnet struts are getting a little tired.........OEM or aftermarket, what are peoples experience?

I nearly always replace items with genuine Lexus parts but having been quoted £135 per side I'm undecided.

Lexus don't make 'genuine' ones anyway - they'll be KYB or some such. And they don't really affect the operation of the car. I'd get aftermarket - they'll be way cheaper and probably just as good. Doddle to fit.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

I too used SGS and were very good this firm even regasses your struts if you want and quick turn around I had my boot struts regassed a few years ago was virtually retunn of post

very impressed

15 hours ago, johnatg said:

Lexus don't make 'genuine' ones anyway - they'll be KYB or some such. And they don't really affect the operation of the car. I'd get aftermarket - they'll be way cheaper and probably just as good. Doddle to fit.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

Cheers John, good arguments for aftermarket👍

15 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Agree with John.

When RockAuto have replacement ones made by Sachs for £8.53 (plus shipping and duties), £135 just seems a bit too much.

This was my thinking, aside from mark-up I'm struggling to justify OEM on this occasion, will investigate RockAuto.

13 hours ago, Ompa said:

I bought these a couple of months ago:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-GS-2005-2012-Hood-Struts-Gas-Springs-Lifters-x2-SET-/141870196674?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

I am very satisfied with my purchase - easy to replace and works like a charm.

Thanks for the link, will look into these.......any drama's with fitment or fitting?

11 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Bought some for the LS from SGS Engineering. Very good.

Cheers Rich👍

2 hours ago, KayCee said:

I too used SGS and were very good this firm even regasses your struts if you want and quick turn around I had my boot struts regassed a few years ago was virtually retunn of post

very impressed

Again, will look into SGS, thanks for your input.

11 minutes ago, johnatg said:

Yes - I bought SGS boot struts for my IS250 - they certainly restored the spring!

Mine are more droop than spring, looking at their site now!

Took mine into SGS as they are local to me, dropped them off and collected later in the week.

First repair was no good they were more sloppy than when I took them in, 2nd attempt and super fixed. I can release the bonnet catch and lift the bonnet maybe 3 inches and the struts open it gently from there.

Must be 2 years since they were done now and still working fine.

Thanks Steve. I have emailed SGS who replied quickly which is a good sign, slightly concerned if they send repaired/re-gassed struts and they are faulty (as your 1st set) I will have a second lot of P+P but not ruled them out as they seem to have good feedback. Looked on RockAuto as well and a pair of Sachs Struts shipped will be around £30ish (could be more if it customs get involved). Both options far more affordable than OEM. Thanks everyone👍

1 hour ago, BarneyTT said:

Looked on RockAuto as well and a pair of Sachs Struts shipped will be around £30ish (could be more if it customs get involved).

If you select one of the courier options, all the taxes and duties are paid up front so no delays or hidden charges (it should be clear which ones include all the charges or not). If you select US postal then once Royal Mail get involved they will collect the taxes and charge you an admin fee for the privilege.

15 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

If you select one of the courier options, all the taxes and duties are paid up front so no delays or hidden charges (it should be clear which ones include all the charges or not). If you select US postal then once Royal Mail get involved they will collect the taxes and charge you an admin fee for the privilege.

Thanks Colin, useful information, I'll keep that in mind if I use RockAuto👍

On 10/5/2020 at 6:05 PM, BarneyTT said:

...with genuine Lexus parts but having been quoted £135 per side I'm undecided.

Think they were misunderstanding you and quoting for the shock struts, ie shock absorbers for suspension! That is bonkers 😲😬🤯

55 minutes ago, Upex said:

Think they were misunderstanding you and quoting for the shock struts, ie shock absorbers for suspension! That is bonkers 😲😬🤯

That's a 'good' price, a standard Lexus dealer would quote you £146.

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-gs/lexus-gs-phase-iii-2005-2012/lexus-gs-3-exterior-interior/lexus-gs-phase-3-o-s-bonnet-strut/

Crazy world!

By way of an update. In the end I took a punt on a used pair from eBay, the seller was breaking his GS450h. Including P+P they cost me £35, they are now fitted and the bonnet longer drops onto my head!

Appreciate everyone's input and help👍

On 10/9/2020 at 9:22 AM, johnatg said:

Ha-ha! Don't even ask how much a shock absorber would cost!

😥 I need 2 front shocks, just had mot and although she passed (no oil leakage so not a fail 😊) she was described as "as Bobby as a barge, how do you drive her" so I replied "fast, flies over the bumps then and no bobbing" 🤣

Not bad considering her age and miles, 06 on 170k, and considering I think I killed the shocks when changing the bearings on the transmission pump, as left her up on front axle stands for a few months 😬 got stuck with some other things that prevented me from finishing the pump. And as had to do rear shocks a couple years ago as leaked.

BarneyTT, glad you got some sorted for sensible money 👌🤞

• 1 year later...
On 10/5/2020 at 8:26 PM, Ompa said:

I bought these a couple of months ago:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-GS-2005-2012-Hood-Struts-Gas-Springs-Lifters-x2-SET-/141870196674?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

I am very satisfied with my purchase - easy to replace and works like a charm.

Hi Chris - Are you still happy with your bonnet struts you bought off eBay? I just clicked onto the link and they are still available, current price £27.64 per pair from Latvia. I did get a quote yesterday from SGS for regassing my existing ones but the price is £32.18 so might as well buy new ones.

Has anyone else bought new aftermarket ones who'd like to comment or makes suggestions? Thanks.

3 hours ago, JeffL said:

Hi Chris - Are you still happy with your bonnet struts you bought off eBay? I just clicked onto the link and they are still available, current price £27.64 per pair from Latvia. I did get a quote yesterday from SGS for regassing my existing ones but the price is £32.18 so might as well buy new ones.

Has anyone else bought new aftermarket ones who'd like to comment or makes suggestions? Thanks.

Hello Jeff!

I'm still very happy with my purchase. They do a great job of holding the bonnet vertical in the rare occasion that I need to do something in there (except checking fluids) =).  

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if the bonnet struts are identical for left and right fitting? The specification for these aftermarket struts quotes the original equipment part numbers 53450-0W071 and 53440-0W091 and my car has one of each number, one for the left side and for the right side. However the suppliers appear to be suggesting that two identical struts are in the packet.  Are the 2 struts different, 1 for Left and 1 for Right? or are they both the same? If they are the same just wondering why the original Lexus ones have two different numbers on them? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-GS-2005-2012-Hood-Struts-Gas-Springs-Lifters-x2-SET-/141870196674?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ridex/12758596

The eBay ones are £27.64/pack of 2 including Vat and delivery.

The Autodoc ones are £19.64/pack of 2 including VAT and delivery.

• 3 weeks later...

As per my post of 15th December, I subsequently ordered the Ridex struts from Autodoc which arrived today. The fitting tutorials I've seen on Youtube are straightforward but I have a question. Before I fit them I tried to compress them to see that they work but I'm unable to do that, won't budge at all, is that normal? Will they only compress with the weight of the bonnet once fitted? Thanks.