Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

HUD issue with Autoglass windscreen replacement

Before I handed my NX back I had this problem. Just remembered I'd not posted about it so as a warning/info to others...

I had a cracked windscreen and got it replaced by Autoglass. They used a non-Lexus windscreen which they assured matched a Lexus one in every way. After fitting the HUD was displaying at an angle. The sent someone to my house to check it and agreed they needed to use a genuine Lexus windscreen.

When I arrived at my next appointment the fitter explained that he'd been told to fit the same make as they tried before, from the same batch and that it would be fitted in the same precise way. We agreed that was unlikely to make any difference so he was going to ask for a different make to be sent and I left without it being fitted.

Then I had a call about another appointment and was told that they would not consider a different make until they had tried the same make, same batch again. So I went back and got it fitted. It made no difference.

They then agreed to order a genuine Lexus windscreen. Once that arrived I returned again, had it fitted and the HUD then displayed correctly. The fitter was going to write a report so that hopefully no one else suffers the same but just in case you can quote this incident and push for a genuine Lexus windscreen.

This all happened over the lockdown period so in all I think it took about 5 months to get sorted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

It's a good point. The windscreen is different on vehicles fitted with a HUD so you need to be explicit that you have one installed if you need a new screen and most of the 3rd party screens aren't made for a HUD so you need the correct OEM one.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Non OE windscreens are going to be an issue with all of the forward facing cameras and HUD systems now fitted to more and more cars. And insurance companies and windscreen nationals will continue to fit crappy pattern parts. It was so much better when it was only the mark 1 eyeball looking through a windscreen!

3 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

It was so much better when it was only the mark 1 eyeball looking through a windscreen!

I had to reject one replacement screen back in the '80s because it was so distorting. Car headlamps would ripple and flare terribly!

• 6 months later...

Thanks for you report on your windscreen problems Chris - I scrolled back to last year. My car does not have the HUD fitted however I am have stated a preference for a Lexus windscreen which the insure has agreed to pay for with the normal excess of £140 applied which I am hopeful will be met by the dealership from whom I bought the one year old car.

Best wishes 
Phil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Catterall said:

with the normal excess of £140

blimey ............  my normal excess ( Saga insce )  was £75 only a few weeks back

Malc

1 hour ago, DanD said:

As a matter of interest, what is different from one windscreen to another that should affect the HUD?

The image can be dull or you get a double image depending on the screen construction.

429425122_Screenshot2021-05-04at13_44_11.thumb.png.4a198c3b480a7612ed34d44d550bb240.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links