Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Goodbye CT200H

Poundy

Sadly, it appears when current UK stocks are sold no more CT200h will be made available over here.

I was thinking of upgrading ours but feel it may be an unwise investment now. Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, Poundy said:

Sadly, it appears when current UK stocks are sold no more CT200h will be made available over here.

I was thinking of upgrading ours but feel it may be an unwise investment now. Thoughts?

Norman,  What on Earth can be unwise about buying a new car which is demonstrably reliable, has a 5 year Warranty on its Hybrid system, a 3 year Warranty on the rest of the vehicle, a 15 year Warranty on the Hybrid Battery and the opportunity to purchase an Extended Warranty for the next 10 years or to 140,000 miles?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Poundy said:

It's a shame the Corolla interior is so cheap and nasty. Not a patch on the CT inside. But lovely on the outside and uses the 4th Gen Hybrid system.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stompe said:

Never understood why 5 year warranty with Toyota, 3 years Lexus, there premium brand, answers on a Postcard, 😷😂

It is a good question.

Also why do Lexus offer 10 year and 140,000 mile warranties and not Toyota ?

Who would want to work in  a Marketing Dept of a Motor Manufacturer ?

55 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Norman,  What on Earth can be unwise about buying a new car which is demonstrably reliable, has a 5 year Warranty on its Hybrid system, a 3 year Warranty on the rest of the vehicle, a 15 year Warranty on the Hybrid Battery and the opportunity to purchase an Extended Warranty for the next 10 years or to 140,000 miles?

Hi John,

Very valid points, ours is a 2014 bought with 34,600 on the clock and has just hit 40,000 after 2.5 years of ownership so our local town car averaging 2-3000 per year. It has the extended warranty for another 6 months which I intended to renew. Also because it is pre 2017 there is no tax payable which is another bonus, there are no issues with the car and full Lexus service history.

The only downside is, it is now 6.5 years old and with some Lexus saving offers I was tempted to do a deal. However I am now a bit cautious  in case when the model is discontinued the residual value will take a massive hit. Hence I am now contemplating hanging on and looking at a late run out model or 2nd hand option when the price has bottomed. Dunno

Norman ,you have opened a whole world of discussion.

It is important to identify your perspective on motoring, family life and politics! Remember matey, that you started this !

For example 1.

I bought my Merc  Diesel Estate when it was 6 months old, the last of the W210 series. It was a run out model with all of the items I desired as standard (REAL LEATHER, SAT NAV ETC). It has served me and the family well, trips to Uni, moving into student accommodation and flats, going to the Rubbish trip, family trips, Continental travel..you get the picture. It is now 18 years old on 3 Jan and has covered 247,006 miles. Overall it has been brilliant and still gives more than 50mpg on runs. Internally it is still brand new with nothing having worn or faded. Externally it has suffered a few knocks and scrapes consistent with the use and mileage. Were I to buy a new one, it would cost £40K. But do I want to spend such a sum at my time of life? Not a chance. Was I bothered that as the years rolled by that my model was superseded by W211, W212 and W213 ? Not by any stretch. I had bought the Mercedes for the long run. So I cared for it and it owes me nothing.

Example 2. 

Six years ago I bought a 3rd Generation GS Lexus. I bought and still have until 2023 an Extended Warranty. It was and still is a quality motor car. Not quality as perceived in Audi, BMW and now, Mercedes, but quality in my eyes of reliability, economy from bumper to bumper, no rattles or squeaks and build. I bought a 10 year Service Plan and I have not had to spend any money on the car other than normal consumables such as wipers, not covered by the Service Plan. I haven`t even had to buy a bulb and my local Lexus people are such nice people to deal with.

My car has been superseded by the Gen4 and lately by the ES. Do I feel the need  to change? Not a chance.

These are two examples of me keeping my cars and ignoring Mr Smith`s new xx next door, or taking advantage of some supposedly fabulous offer from a motor manufacturer. I was able to keep these cars because I had a long term objective in mind at the outset. I bought quality that could serve me well and I looked after both of them.

On the other hand my advice to people is

if you really, really, really want it and you can afford it and you will not upset anyone or anything by doing it, then go ahead.

I`m sorry for taking so long say what I would do, but you now have my TWO answers. Good luck.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Norman ,you have opened a whole world of discussion.

It is important to identify your perspective on motoring, family life and politics! Remember matey, that you started this !

For example 1.

I bought my Merc  Diesel Estate when it was 6 months old, the last of the W210 series. It was a run out model with all of the items I desired as standard (REAL LEATHER, SAT NAV ETC). It has served me and the family well, trips to Uni, moving into student accommodation and flats, going to the Rubbish trip, family trips, continental travel..you get the picture. It is now 18 years old on 3 Jan and has covered 247,006 miles. Overall it has been brilliant and still gives more than 50mpg on runs. Internally it is still brand new with nothing having worn or faded. Externally it has suffered a few knocks and scrapes consistent with the use and mileage. Were I to buy a new one, it would cost £40K. But do I want to spend such a sum at my time of life? Not a chance. Was I bothered that as the years rolled by that my model was superseded by W211, W212 and W213 ? Not by any stretch. I had bought the Mercedes for the long run. So I cared for it and it owes me nothing.

Example 2. 

Six years ago I bought a 3rd Generation GS Lexus. I bought and still have until 2023 an Extended Warranty. It was and still is a quality motor car. Not quality as perceived in Audi, BMW and now, Mercedes, but quality in my eyes of reliability, economy from bumper to bumper, no rattles or squeaks and build. I bought a 10 year Service Plan and I have not had to spend any money on the car other than normal consumables such as wipers, not covered by the Service Plan. I haven`t even had to buy a bulb and my local Lexus people are such nice people to deal with.

My car has been superseded by the Gen4 and lately by the ES. Do I feel the need  to change? Not a chance.

These are two examples of me keeping my cars and ignoring Mr Smith`s new xx next door, or taking advantage of some supposedly fabulous offer from a motor manufacturer. I was able to keep these cars because I had a long term objective in mind at the outset. I bought quality that could serve me well and I looked after both of them.

On the other hand my advice to people is

if you really, really, really want it and you can afford it and you will not upset anyone or anything by doing it, then go ahead.

I`m sorry for taking so long say what I would do, but you now have my TWO answers. Good luck.

Great post that. I think what we are seeing with today's cars is they are like gadgets. The latest tech is what makes people want to change their car in the same way they change their mobile phones.

• Like 3

I think I will just keep the current one, it will always be well cared for and low mileage and I will spend the money elsewhere 😃

My other 2 vehicles a fully restored by me, 1992 Mercedes 500sl and my 2015 Jaguar XF R sport are my main rides just thought it would be a treat for her indoors to upgrade ours to a sport with panoramic roof or the F with the snazzy front grill. Not that she is interested in cars at all, so it will not be an issue keeping this one, she will not even drive the Merc or the Jag, thank goodness. 🤣😂

Thought about adding the F grill but never got round to it, could be a plan lol!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stompe said:

Never understood why 5 year warranty with Toyota, 3 years Lexus, there premium brand, answers on a Postcard, 😷😂

They compete in different markets within the UK and are comparable with the competition in each of the markets.

No reason for Lexus to offer 5 years, it is unlikely to persuade a BMW driver to switch as they are already perceived as more reliable, and whilst they are very reliable there will be the odd failure in years 4 or 5 which will just cost Lexus money to fix.

"The latest tech is what makes people want to change their car in the same way they change their mobile phones."

The advantage of buying a more up to date vehicle is the enhanced safety features. My recent purchase of a UX250h has given me adaptive cruise control, lane deviation, automatic head light dipping and improved night time driving because of LED lighting. The car also has SOS button activated if an air bag is deployed and automatically contacts the eCenter control giving location, time and vin number of my vehicle for emergency services to attend.

• Like 1

I get the benefits of new tech and as Roy above said if you want it and can afford it then go for it,this applies to electronics and mobiles as well as cars.My car is now 6yrs old i have had it for 4,my head has been turned by newer models but she has been reliable is comfy and has only cost me service items and i still like the look of the car which imo has dated well.

My missus however puts me to shame she still loves her 2001 Subaru Impreza and wont hear a bad word against it despite it now having some old age problems,it has very little in the way of gadgets on board but she says "More to go wrong more will go wrong". :driving: 

• Like 2

Not just the CT 200H Disappearing from Europe, The IS going the same way, Not sure if it's the best decision, but hey ho  what does that leave..... UX  🤔 not sure in this overcrowded market, everyone wants a crossover, but will follow this with interest! 😷

• Like 1

I think Lexus are making a grave mistake here. 

After driving Toyota's for nearly 10 years, I purchased my first Lexus, an ISF, just over 2 years ago when I retired. Wanted to have a final fling with a V8.

After a year or so of very happy ownership, I changed it for a RC300h, and enjoying that also. 

Eventually I will have to purchase our last and final car, and would like a luxury premium brand, smaller car.

I was hoping that would be a new version CT when it was 2 years old. Alas, that doesn't seem like that's going to happen. My wife and I can't see the love for an SUV thing. 

So where will that leave us and many others?

Looks like the top versions of an Auris or Yaris. At least then, if I buy a 2 year old one, I won't have to pay for a warranty for 3 years!

But, I want a small Lexus!!

• Like 1

Shortly after buying my CT I also fell into the category of wanting a 'better' one. I wanted specifically the Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Avoidance, 10" screen, better stereo and Premium Nav. I thought long and hard about chopping mine in for a MY2018 to get the above kit. But I was looking at at least another £6-7K on top of mine. I had to ask myself was it really worth it for what is essentially the same car with the same reliability, same performance and same efficiency. On top of that I would loose the zero road tax status and there are things about my car that I like such as the colour, sunroof and seat coverings which in combination are fairly unique to the Advance Plus.

So my answer was no. I work overseas and the car stays at an airport carpark during winter months for a week at a time, every other week. In the summer I work from home and enjoy taking my kids to school out of town where I can regularly get 66-72mpg. Like John I now see the car as a workhorse I fully own that looks nice, drives nice and hopefully won't let me down. I've just stumped up for a 2-4-1 warranty and will fit some Michelin Cross Climate Tyres before the winter arrives so I'm fully invested. So I've surprised myself to be honest as I love gadgets and technology.

On another note my wife and I test drove a Toyota CH-R a few weeks back as she likes them and is thinking about a new car. The salesman was ex-BMW and drove a hybrid Corolla. He told us he only gets 54mpg and I bit my lip and stopped short of telling him he was doing something wrong. We took the CH-R out for a 40 minutes test drive after resetting the OBC. By the time we got back it showed an average of 67.9mpg which is impressive for a car like that. Lovely car and bigger than I thought it would be. It also had all the safety kit listed above. But again the interior is just not a Lexus. But my wife loved it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BoutTime said:

Shortly after buying my CT I also fell into the category of wanting a 'better' one. I wanted specifically the Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Avoidance, 10" screen, better stereo and Premium Nav. I thought long and hard about chopping mine in for a MY2018 to get the above kit. But I was looking at at least another £6-7K on top of mine. I had to ask myself was it really worth it for what is essentially the same car with the same reliability, same performance and same efficiency. On top of that I would loose the zero road tax status and there are things about my car that I like such as the colour, sunroof and seat coverings which in combination are fairly unique to the Advance Plus.

So my answer was no. I work overseas and the car stays at an airport carpark during winter months for a week at a time, every other week. In the summer I work from home and enjoy taking my kids to school out of town where I can regularly get 66-72mpg. Like John I now see the car as a workhorse I fully own that looks nice, drives nice and hopefully won't let me down. I've just stumped up for a 2-4-1 warranty and will fit some Michelin Cross Climate Tyres before the winter arrives so I'm fully invested. So I've surprised myself to be honest as I love gadgets and technology.

On another note my wife and I test drove a Toyota CH-R a few weeks back as she likes them and is thinking about a new car. The salesman was ex-BMW and drove a hybrid Corolla. He told us he only gets 54mpg and I bit my lip and stopped short of telling him he was doing something wrong. We took the CH-R out for a 40 minutes test drive after resetting the OBC. By the time we got back it showed an average of 67.9mpg which is impressive for a car like that. Lovely car and bigger than I thought it would be. It also had all the safety kit listed above. But again the interior is just not a Lexus. But my wife loved it.

Hi Ricky

I done exactly what you professed to do.  I had a 2013 premier which I was really happy with but like you I thought I would upgrade to get further warranty and more "bells and whistles" like you mentioned.  The adaptive cruise control is really good but not prefect.  All the other things you mention are good too, however with the premium navigation it is not pointed out that the text messaging system is flawed because it only works with an Iphone as I have previously mentioned on other posts which soured the upgrade for me.  Now I will have a dilemma when I look to change next, now that the CT200h and the IS will not be available.  I did have a UX for a very short time as a lone car.  It was a basic version and it did not impress me and I was not sold on it like I was the CT200h. 

I have also fitted Michelin Cross Climate tyres to my vehicle which made a marked improvement to the ride. 

Finally I would say to you, it is a marked improvement going from 2018 onwards but remains to be seen whether the second hand value will climb now that the CT200h will be no longer available.

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Stompe said:

Hi Ricky

I done exactly what you professed to do.  I had a 2013 premier which I was really happy with but like you I thought I would upgrade to get further warranty and more "bells and whistles" like you mentioned.  The adaptive cruise control is really good but not prefect.  All the other things you mention are good too, however with the premium navigation it is not pointed out that the text messaging system is flawed because it only works with an iphone as I have previously mentioned on other posts which soured the upgrade for me.  Now I will have a dilemma when I look to change next, now that the CT200h and the IS will not be available.  I did have a UX for a very short time as a lone car.  It was a basic version and it did not impress me and I was not sold on it like I was the CT200h. 

I have also fitted Michelin Cross Climate tyres to my vehicle which made a marked improvement to the ride. 

Finally I would say to you, it is a marked improvement going from 2018 onwards but remains to be seen whether the second hand value will climb now that the CT200h will be no longer available.

Cheers,

Steve

Yes I think the prices may creep up as there aren't many alternatives. In many ways it's the perfect car for me at the minute. It drives so much better in my opinion than is suggested by the motoring press. I watched an independent dealer on YouTube who bought one to sell on and he ended up keeping it.

Interesting what you say about the UX as I thought it might be an option in the future.

Has there been any difference to fuel consumption with the Cross Climates?

1 hour ago, BoutTime said:

Yes I think the prices may creep up as there aren't many alternatives. In many ways it's the perfect car for me at the minute. It drives so much better in my opinion than is suggested by the motoring press. I watched an independent dealer on YouTube who bought one to sell on and he ended up keeping it.

Interesting what you say about the UX as I thought it might be an option in the future.

Has there been any difference to fuel consumption with the Cross Climates?

Hi Ricky

If I am really honest I am not a mileage man, I think it is subjective to the way people drive. My air con is always on and I never use Eco (well perhaps I tried it a couple of times).  I am more of a build quality, reliability, customer service man.  With the UX because I have only had premiers, to get the equivalent in the UX would be £40,000.

What I can tell you is my 2013 premier came with Yokahamas tyres which I did not like.  I first changed to Michelin primacy 4 which were very quiet.  Then I changed to my current vehicle 2018 which had Bridgestones so quickly changed them to Michelin Cross Climates which I find them quiet with excellent grip.  Fortunately not had snow yet to give them a really good test but pleased so far.  

Steve

• Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 4:32 PM, Stompe said:

however with the premium navigation it is not pointed out that the text messaging system is flawed because it only works with an iphone

Not true, works with Android. Works really well in my car. 

10 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Actually, I had a brand new 2016 NX where my Android phone and text messaging worked perfectly.  I upgraded to a 2016 RX where the text messaging didn't work (exactly the same phone).  Got a new Android phone (different make), and it still didn't work with the RX.  I upgraded to GS F.  Android phone and text messaging still doesn't work.  
Overall, I think Lexus and Android are severely inconsistent unfortunately.

On 10/8/2020 at 8:01 PM, ColinBarber said:

They compete in different markets within the UK and are comparable with the competition in each of the markets.

No reason for Lexus to offer 5 years, it is unlikely to persuade a BMW driver to switch as they are already perceived as more reliable, and whilst they are very reliable there will be the odd failure in years 4 or 5 which will just cost Lexus money to fix.

A bit like 2 petrol stations, different companies on opposite sides of the same road. Both selling petrol at £116.9 a litre and diesel at £119.9. It’s about time this optical pricing was banned I often think about putting in exactly 10 litres and then questioning why the price is £11.70 and not £11.69!

1 hour ago, Neo_gsf said:

Actually, I had a brand new 2016 NX where my Android phone and text messaging worked perfectly.  I upgraded to a 2016 RX where the text messaging didn't work (exactly the same phone).  Got a new Android phone (different make), and it still didn't work with the RX.  I upgraded to GS F.  Android phone and text messaging still doesn't work.  
Overall, I think Lexus and Android are severely inconsistent unfortunately.

I agree with this entirely!

1 hour ago, Moleman said:

I would be interested to know what Android phone you have got please?  Just to give you a bit more background my car was taken in to Lexus Southend where a new head unit at a cost of £5000 was tried and still it did not work (we are talking about text messaging side of system, I can make and receive calls fine with my Android phone).  With the new head unit a number of Android phones were tried by the Technician to no avail and yet an Iphone 8 which was the customer service advisor's own phone pinged the texts instantly.

1 minute ago, Stompe said:

I agree with this entirely!

I would be interested to know what Android phone you have got please?  Just to give you a bit more background my car was taken in to Lexus Southend where a new head unit at a cost of £5000 was tried and still it did not work (we are talking about text messaging side of system, I can make and receive calls fine with my Android phone).  With the new head unit a number of Android phones were tried by the Technician to no avail and yet an iphone 8 which was the customer service advisor's own phone pinged the texts instantly.

Not sure if this issue only affects upgraded stereo/nav but my Xiaomi mi 9 works fine with my standard stereo/nav. And so do my OnePlus 5T before it. This might even be dependent on what version of Android the phone's software is based on.