Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Goodbye CT200H

Poundy

My son's Samsung Android worked on the RX when both my LG and Sony didn't.  But it appears the software differs between makes and models so no guarantee a Samsung would work on the CT

1 hour ago, Stompe said:

I agree with this entirely!

I would be interested to know what Android phone you have got please?  Just to give you a bit more background my car was taken in to Lexus Southend where a new head unit at a cost of £5000 was tried and still it did not work (we are talking about text messaging side of system, I can make and receive calls fine with my Android phone).  With the new head unit a number of Android phones were tried by the Technician to no avail and yet an iphone 8 which was the customer service advisor's own phone pinged the texts instantly.

Nokia, and Motorola, option to read texts out loud, can respond as well and offers template responses. Good system.

I would suggest that a stock android build seem more likely to work than a android system which has been "improved" by the manufacturer of the phone!  😄

Should not be the case, but this seems likely.

9 hours ago, Neo_gsf said:

Android phone and text messaging still doesn't work.  
Overall, I think Lexus and Android are severely inconsistent unfortunately.

It isn't an Android thing, I have the same inconsistent experience with Lexus and Iphone - I think there is something in common here.

21 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It isn't an Android thing, I have the same inconsistent experience with Lexus and iPhone - I think there is something in common here.

I have dealt with about 5 people from Lexus UK Technical and I must say I am not impressed with their answers.  I was told that they could not tell me what phone would work with my CT200h.  This has been dragging on for nearly a year with no resolution.  The funny thing is when I have got into Toyota Loan cars the text service has always worked with no problem.    You would have thought that it would have been the other way round that Lexus would have had the better system than Toyota. Perhaps now that is why they are going over and using apple Carplay and Android Auto. Unfortunately I cannot see them resolving the problems with our CTs because they will soon be deleted.  It may be a small issue for some but if you are driving for business and receive a lot of texts you will expect this system to work.  As I have stated before it is Toyota's premium brand and with my premier 2013 Lexus CT200h I never had any issues with a variety of phones used!!

Steve

46 minutes ago, Stompe said:

The funny thing is when I have got into Toyota Loan cars the text service has always worked with no problem.

Displaying/reading text messages is hit or miss on my GS. I can work for weeks and then suddenly stops working for a month or two and then starts working again with no intervention on my part. It is definitely better with my wife's Prius but it too has been intermittent with the functionality working.

The moving to CarPlay / Android auto seems to have been customer demand as Toyota were/are very reluctant to make the move but hopefully they see the benefit in having features that actual work.

• Like 1

Am I being daft here but why would anyone want/need text messages read to them when driving. If it's that important here the ping and pull over and read it.

Back to the OP I'm on my third CT. Upgraded to model with LED lights and better Nav etc in March and have no complaints at all. I'd hoped that by the time I change in 2/3 years time I could afford an IS but that's gone down the swanny now. Looks like I will be going back to a Beamer again. Wife drives a Qashqai so no need for anything like an SUV

2 hours ago, Beduffshirl said:

Am I being daft here but why would anyone want/need text messages read to them when driving. If it's that important here the ping and pull over and read it.

Back to the OP I'm on my third CT. Upgraded to model with led lights and better Nav etc in March and have no complaints at all. I'd hoped that by the time I change in 2/3 years time I could afford an IS but that's gone down the swanny now. Looks like I will be going back to a Beamer again. Wife drives a Qashqai so no need for anything like an SUV

Each to their own, I find having a system that automatically reads out a text when I am driving useful. I did not know it had this function when I brought the car but it is good to have. My Tom Tom Sat Nav has had this function for many years. 😁

2 hours ago, Beduffshirl said:

Back to the OP I'm on my third CT. Upgraded to model with led lights and better Nav etc in March and have no complaints at all. I'd hoped that by the time I change in 2/3 years time I could afford an IS but that's gone down the swanny now. Looks like I will be going back to a Beamer again. Wife drives a Qashqai so no need for anything like an SUV

"Am I being daft here but why would anyone want/need text messages read to them when driving. If it's that important here the ping and pull over and read it."

AND REMOVE KEYS FROM THE IGNITION SO THAT TECHNICALLY YOU ARE NOT IN CHARGE OF THE VEHICLE WHILE DRIVING 

On 10/12/2020 at 10:12 AM, Neo_gsf said:

Actually, I had a brand new 2016 NX where my Android phone and text messaging worked perfectly.  I upgraded to a 2016 RX where the text messaging didn't work (exactly the same phone).  Got a new Android phone (different make), and it still didn't work with the RX.  I upgraded to GS F.  Android phone and text messaging still doesn't work.  
Overall, I think Lexus and Android are severely inconsistent unfortunately.

I have an rcf and my android phone works with text messages. Quite good feature actually! 

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

"Am I being daft here but why would anyone want/need text messages read to them when driving. If it's that important here the ping and pull over and read it."

AND REMOVE KEYS FROM THE IGNITION SO THAT TECHNICALLY YOU ARE NOT IN CHARGE OF THE VEHICLE WHILE DRIVING 

You don't need to pull over if the texts are read out by the cars entertainment system. That is the whole point. It is a good feature!

Same voice as the satnav. 

• Like 1

Jeremy, I`m sorry if I did not make myself clear.

Beduffshirl said the words I quoted in italics. I merely added the words shown in upper case to point out that unless the keys are out of the ignition the Constabulary will take the view that the person in the driving seat is technically still driving and is therefore liable to prosecution.

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Bit difficult if you are on the motorway! In my view it is better than not having the system and then people looking at their mobile. 

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Jeremy, I`m sorry if I did not make myself clear.

Beduffshirl said the words I quoted in italics. I merely added the words shown in upper case to point out that unless the keys are out of the ignition the Constabulary will take the view that the person in the driving seat is technically still driving and is therefore liable to prosecution.

Hi, I didn't realise pressing a button on the infotainment system which then triggers the text message to be read out via the cars speakers was not allowed. It this forbidden in the UK? There is no reading of the text message as such unless you wanted to. 

11 hours ago, Jez. W said:

Hi, I didn't realise pressing a button on the infotainment system which then triggers the text message to be read out via the cars speakers was not allowed. It this forbidden in the UK? There is no reading of the text message as such unless you wanted to. 

No it isn't forbidden. You cannot operate a mobile phone without it being in a cradle but it is not against the law to operate systems of the vehicle, or a phone in a cradle, whilst driving if it is safe to do so.

If you were to cause an accident whilst operating the sat nav/phone/heated seats/radio etc. then you could be prosecuted for careless driving or dangerous driving.

On 10/8/2020 at 1:28 PM, Poundy said:

Sadly, it appears when current UK stocks are sold no more CT200h will be made available over here.

I was thinking of upgrading ours but feel it may be an unwise investment now. Thoughts?

Well, I've never thought of a car as an investment - they always seem to depreciate in my experience 😞. But in the case of the CT200h I would have thought the lack of an equivalent replacement model (with even more questionable bells and whistles and perhaps a slightly better ride/handlng/economy) would actually help slow the depreciation of the existing cars.

1 hour ago, dazed said:

Well, I've never thought of a car as an investment - they always seem to depreciate in my experience 😞. But in the case of the CT200h I would have thought the lack of an equivalent replacement model (with even more questionable bells and whistles and perhaps a slightly better ride/handlng/economy) would actually help slow the depreciation of the existing cars.

As I have said in another post--demand for these cars will rise in a rapidly diminishing market for used,high quality, reliable vehicles.

Investment is an often used and misunderstood word as you imply Ian.

• 3 weeks later...

As the CT is being discontinued in the UK Lexus have offered a UX .   I like my CT -colour is a sparkly red that is not available for the UX 😪. Any advice on how good the UX is compared to the CT (I also get very good miles/gall).   Only thought on the CT is I wish I could  decide to use electrics and that electrics over 40 mph was the norm (much of my driving is on 50mph roads).     Oh and the Samsung S8 phone works fine with the text system   but my wife's does not in the CT or F-Sport.   Maybe its the service provider -I use EE she is on AOL.?

Gavin……. I’ve recently changed ownership from having 2 CT’s to a UX250h and absolutely loving it. The mpg is slightly less at about around 5/7mpg. UX acceleration is defiantly quicker. My wife and I are in our 70’s and not so nimble these days so we find it easier getting in and out because of the higher ground clearance. I liked the CT it was 100% reliable but have no regrets in changing. My wife’s only complaint about our CT was the lack of front passenger seat height adjustment.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links