Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Economy tips

Hiya I have a 2019 is300h sport, does anyone have any tips for better economy despite the obvious lighter foot lol. Should I keep economy mode for just stop start and when normal driving gas it up to speed quickly then try to cruise?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

There are so many tips to optimize economy driving hybrids that it's difficult to tell all them, if you like to try  hypermiler driving I suggest you to buy a BT interface and use it with Hybrid Assistant android app. Another interesting site where to learn basics of efficient eCVT vehicles is Hybrid Synergy Forum (in italian but you can read and translate with google translator ), or also try reading Priuschat forum too.

The best tip I can give is to recover all energy you can avoiding hard braking so that you can stay in regenerative braking zone, you  have to keep the instrument in "chg"  zone without having it over totally down, that's the poine where brakes begin to work. 

- Try and do all your braking under regen, this is probably the single most important tip, so start braking/rolling as early as possible

- glide/roll to a stop as much as possible just feathering the brake, again, this is to try and ensure all your braking is done using the regenerative braking

- Use ECO mode around town and go lightly on the throttle

- Use pulse and glide to ensure you're crusing on Battery power as much as possible at speeds below 45mph

- use cruise control as much as possible

- get up to speed fairly quickly, don't labor up to your desired speed. Enjoy the performance in sport mode, it won't impact economy that much

- use the Aircon system only when needed

- pressing the EV mode button immediately after ignition will also prevent the engine switching on, assuming enough charge is present.

I'm able to always average 50-55mpg all year round, but it does take a lot of practice. However, it's really just a matter of making the above habit, and after a while you don't even think about it. On really long journeys I've even averaged 60mpg a few times.

I still can't believe Lexus are discontinuing the IS, it's the best hybrid car they sell! I tried a UX, and it drives a bit ****, just felt like an impractical toy with worse economy/performance than the IS. I digress...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Life is too short to be so focused on economy surely? 😀

I think it is a mindset. I can afford, with the small mileage I do, a vehicle that does 22 mpg. I chose not to by going with a hybrid. The 400h gives you the grunt of a big V6 (not straight six!) plus the extra immediate torque of the electric motor. I do not know what I would get out of my 400 if I drive it hard but locally on very short journeys I am getting 27 mpg. I am "happy" with this economy but it pales compared with the IS 300h. I just giggle to myself that I am nearly getting V8 performance (when required) with 2.0 litre petrol economy!

I know a guy who has a Range Rover and drives it like Lewis Hamilton - he is actually PROUD that he can get under 10 mpg!

Horses for courses. But it is NOT just about money. I actually agree with Paul, the emphasis on mpg is over stated. It is the total "experience" of ownership that matters. 

Love of driving said vehicle - repair cost - depreciation - servicing - road tax - mpg - all go into the mix (and possibly other things I have not considered) to add up to how much we enjoy our vehicles. For me, one of the downsides now is the amount of traffic on the roads, A long leisurely drive in an LS 400 (with lots of money in your current account to stay at nice hotels) across France, in decent weather, would be my ideal of driving heaven! Kids and a dog tend to spoil the dream!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Life is too short to be so focused on economy surely? 😀

What Paul is, I think, implying is that Economy is but one part of a multiplicity of factors as identified by Davey. It all starts with the Brain and its adoption of software known as common sense.

Just now, royoftherovers said:

What Paul is, I think, implying is that Economy is but one part of a multiplicity of factors as identified by Davey. It all starts with the Brain and its adoption of software known as common sense.

I LOVE your posts John! Don't always understand them... but I do love them!

• Haha 1

In a Post above Dave said

"Love of driving said vehicle - repair cost - depreciation - servicing - road tax - mpg - all go into the mix (and possibly other things I have not considered) to add up to how much we enjoy our vehicles. For me, one of the downsides now is the amount of traffic on the roads, A long leisurely drive in an LS 400 (with lots of money in your current account to stay at nice hotels) across France, in decent weather, would be my ideal of driving heaven! Kids and a dog tend to spoil the dream!"

This gem  says it all in my view.

There is one addition I would make and it is the lack of respect that other drivers display when on the roads. Very sad in my opinion and is often a reflection of their upbringing (not referring to wealth, but manners) and a total ignorance of their responsibilities as citizens.

Being able to drive on the Continent is to me both a pleasure and an education.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone I am getting much better economy now, just needed A different approach to that I am used to. I love the is, get comments all the time, mine is a sport in imola red. Interesting comments about the UX, I would have thought it was more economic due to the newer software etc.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Squirt and coast is what it’s all about. Get up to speed and then ease of the accelerator to get the needle back in the eco zone. Keep below 50 if roads and traffic allow. Very light braking over longer distances rather than heavy braking over shorter distances to put as much back into the batteries as possible. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links