Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Import Duty

andy haw

Well, I never got presented with a bill from anyone for import duty. I believe it's usually 10% on motor parts. However, the auto parts suppliers in US listed the contents on the customs declaration as "automotive samples", so perhaps that's why no import duty bill. Saying that, a friend of mine bought an MP3 hard drive jukebox over the net from the US, and 2 months after delivery he got a letter from Fedex asking for the import duty to be paid! Either way, it's quids in at the current exchange rates.

Total up invoice price of goods + any freight + insurance costs.

Import duty will be a percentage of this depending on what the goods are.

Something between 5 and 10 percent would be a good guide.

Add this duty to the total above ...

Now you have to pay VAT at the prevailing rate on this new total.

Yes that's right, you pay VAT on Import duty :blink:

Oh and you'll likely get a 'customs clearance' charge from the carrier / agent too.

Customs + Excise... don't ya just luv 'em.

They have more powers at their disposal than the police..

Can empty your wallet with one hand whilst rubber gloving your butt with the other.

Just coz they feel like it - and there's now't you can do about it either :yack:

If they're willing to tick the customs declaration as 'Gift', it'll be duty and vat exempt (Customs might suss if there is a company address on the 'From' label) - this has worked for me in the past for other things. Also, you could ask them to state a lower amount on the customs dec sticker - this has also worked. Shipping companies, like FedEx, pay the vat and duty for you and then ask for the money back - if you can use the regular national postal service, you'll be asked to pay any duty and vat (if charged) in person.

If they're willing to tick the customs declaration as 'Gift', it'll be duty and vat exempt (Customs might suss if there is a company address on the 'From' label) - this has worked for me in the past for other things. Also, you could ask them to state a lower amount on the customs dec sticker - this has also worked.

Yeah the 'gift' and 'underdeclaring' may work... BUT...

Be aware, Customs aren't stupid...

They've started looking at a lot of these now...

and putting their own value on the goods based on market value.

You might get lucky and get stuff through untouched.

You might get unlucky and have customs inspect your shipment.

You might get REALLY unlucky and be landed with a fraud charge :blink:

Have today recived rear axle bushes from USA.Had to pay £15.27 duty plus £10.00 fee toUPS.

Maneesh you were lucky mate.Still saved a fortune so cant complain.Be interested to see what happens with other parts i have ordered.

Have today had to pay £60.00 odd pounds import duty etc for parts from USA(upper control arms front and rear).It seems that customs are on the ball as suggested.No complaints, still saved a lot of money.Would do the same again.

Have today recived rear axle bushes from USA.Had to pay £15.27 duty plus £10.00 fee toUPS.

Maneesh you were lucky mate.Still saved a fortune so cant complain.Be interested to see what happens with other parts i have ordered.

I would imagine that charge is for VAT and not duty, you wont pay duty without incurring VAT charges

but you may pay VAT without duty :ohmy: