Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yesterday one of  the rear boxes on my Lexus GS300 (MK3) fell off.

On initial check it looks like the box has come away from the pipe.

At the last mot the tester pointed out a few areas on the system which are likely to need attention in due course, so I guess there will be other sections with problems too.

The nearest exhaust centre to us is about 30 miles away so before heading down there I wondered if anyone who has had exhaust work done might have any suggestions as an alternative to an exhaust centre or Lexus dealer (which is over 50 miles from us), and if anyone has any suggestions where I might be able to have the parts sent so my local mechanic could do the job - or does it require a bit more expertise than the local mechanic may have.

Peter,

Sorry to hear bits have dropped off. A new Lexus exhaust could well exceed the value of the car but there are other much cheaper solutions.

I was researching exhaust places down in the south before Covid and these people were suggested. https://www.infinity-exhausts.co.uk/ I did not contact them as my problem is fixed for the moment. It might be worth talking to them. I have no connection with them.

Do let us know how you get on.

John

Thanks guys.

I have made enquiries with the suggested companies and will see what they say - although fitting/distance is an issue as we are in West Somerset (Minehead area).

I took the rear box off its mountings today and had a look. This is what I found -

exhaust.thumb.jpg.194372f7bfe1e90eacb9081a34ab03a7.jpg

The box itself is in 'relatively' good condition and it appears that the pipe is too. For some reason it seems have mainly rusted around the pipe/box junction until it was so weak it broke.

I am wondering, subject to inspecting the rest of the system, if it would be a lot more affordable to just have the box and pipe 'patched' and welded back together.

I will have to investigate further next week - in the meantime the car seems to drive ok with very little noticeable affect - apart from a more 'throaty' sound from the exhaust.

I had the exhaust system inspected and it showed extensive signs of rust as well as previous 'patching' so it looks like replacement is the answer.

I had a response from Onlineautomotive saying they could not help.

I also found a company in Germany who can supply a system to include the two pipes in front of the second cats, but not the cats, the middle box section and the two rear boxes for £265 - in standard steel construction. But I would have to have the existing cats cut out and welded to the new pipes, or buy new cats taking the price up.

In addition I had a quote from another company for a stainless system  for £699 to supply fit a complete "2 front box/middle box/2 rear box" system. It is a Longlife brand.

Unfortunately they are a 5 hour (10 hour round trip) drive away with additional cost of about £75 for fuel..

A Longlife dealer closer to home quoted £850 for the same system (??!!). Another dealer for a different brand (Powerflow?) quoted £1100 - without being able to comment on the difference between his and the Longlife price.

I am still investigating, but looks like a lean Xmas this year whichever way I end up going.

can your local friendly mechanic not patch it all up again to set you good for another year or so whilst you better plan for the replacement ?

most indy mechanics are quite adept at a little welding and patching and the cost might be just a few £10's rather than ££££hundreds

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

I have now had my exhaust examined by a local workshop who are experienced at welding exhausts amongst other things.

They have suggested that I replace as much of the system as is practical becaise the system is the original (15 years old) and there are a number of repairs that have already been done, including a weld close to one of the Oxygen sensors in front of the second cats which could make it impossible to get out - and they are not cheap to replace. The cats themselves are in good condition.

Searching online I have found this system which could be a good compromise

image.thumb.png.b8708f65b3e7b6bd244e04ceb4aa9a6b.png

It is in aluminium coated steel and costs £199 and my local guy will fit it for £50 - a lot cheaper that the £650 that longlife quote for the same system in Stainless.

Has anyone here any experience of aluminium coated systems as I have none. Search results tend to imply that the aluminium coated systems will not last as long as stainless, but a lot longer than galvanised steel.

If you intend keeping the car and you can afford it,i think a stainless steel one is your best option,had one made by longlife for my zedos 6 and my IS200 sport 

On 10/27/2020 at 1:03 PM, Pewe said:

I have now had my exhaust examined by a local workshop who are experienced at welding exhausts amongst other things.

They have suggested that I replace as much of the system as is practical becaise the system is the original (15 years old) and there are a number of repairs that have already been done, including a weld close to one of the Oxygen sensors in front of the second cats which could make it impossible to get out - and they are not cheap to replace. The cats themselves are in good condition.

Searching online I have found this system which could be a good compromise

image.thumb.png.b8708f65b3e7b6bd244e04ceb4aa9a6b.png

It is in aluminium coated steel and costs £199 and my local guy will fit it for £50 - a lot cheaper that the £650 that longlife quote for the same system in Stainless.

Has anyone here any experience of aluminium coated systems as I have none. Search results tend to imply that the aluminium coated systems will not last as long as stainless, but a lot longer than galvanised steel.

I have just bought this system from eBay and had it fitted by a friend and am very happy with the results. Even the the tail pipes are chrome tipped as well as coming with a new fitting kit, including new springs, clamps and rubber supports and it's now a quiet car once more 🙂 What a bargain.

2 hours ago, The MXican said:

I have just bought this system from Ebay and had it fitted by a friend and am very happy with the results. Even the the tail pipes are chrome tipped as well as coming with a new fitting kit, including new springs, clamps and rubber supports and it's now a quiet car once more 🙂 What a bargain.

Thank you for that.

I messaged them to ask for some measurements (pipe diameter and distance between pipes marked in red A on image) but have not heard back, so your confirmation makes me comfortable to order.

Did you have the exact kit shown, and if so did they cut the existing pipes behind the cats and use a joining pipe, or weld them?

Sorry it was not this exact one, it was the back section with the Y piece and rear silencers. But it is excellent quality and was quite heavy and all arrived in 1 box. Sorry I can't be of help with the cats, but I would guess that you would have to cut through the original pipes and use the clamps.

1 hour ago, The MXican said:

This is the one I bought.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks.

When I contacted them originall they told me that these are aluminium coated - so I'm not surprised you say they are good quality.