Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2016 RX450h tail lights issue

Hi, both the red tail lights on our 2016 RX450h have stopped working. The brake and reverse lights seem fine.

I can't tell from the diagram in the lid of the fuse box which fuse to inspect - does anyone have a link to a decent fuse map? I can't seem to find one anywhere!

Does anyone have any other ideas why they might not work? (No warning lights on the dash)

Thanks for any tips

-Mat

I just found this pic on another site - it looks like the TAIL fuse is in the interior fuse box under the dash... I will investigate in the morning...

326a96e0_d2cf_4d3c_b2bc_1f86a5f37a47_5621a4c2945bf3b2494c7d14cc16afa9e7e32503.jpeg

• Like 1

Its a bit unusual really. Check the fuse first and then go from there. Obviously if the fuse has blown you'd have to discover whats causing it to blow? Is there water in the housing? 

First time Ive heard of this issue

• Like 1

Can't believe both tail lights would have failed at the same time and I would have thought each side would be separately grounded so the fuse has to be the prime suspect. Interested to learn what you find.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, matd said:

Hi, both the red tail lights on our 2016 RX450h have stopped working. The brake and reverse lights seem fine.

I can't tell from the diagram in the lid of the fuse box which fuse to inspect - does anyone have a link to a decent fuse map? I can't seem to find one anywhere!

Does anyone have any other ideas why they might not work? (No warning lights on the dash)

Thanks for any tips

-Mat

Which position is the light switch on when yoi are checking the rear lights?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

I would have thought each side would be separately grounded

No they limit the number of ground points. I've not seen the series IV RX wiring diagram but the IS, GS, older RX etc all go back to a single point.

e.g.

1581808071_Screenshot2020-10-10at10_32_37.thumb.png.4d3e410819c0fc9d85e90df7ca00486a.png

• Like 1

The under-dash fuse panel has no lid, but I think the layout is in that pic I already posted. There are a few fuses in the boot by the Battery, but no labels. Here's the diagram from the main panel, can anyone guess what the tail lights would be called?

16023304750558057206248306322160.jpg

19 minutes ago, matd said:

I found and checked the fuse marked "TAIL" and it's ok, but I'm not certain it's the right one. Can anyone help shed light? 

Here's the diagram from the main panel, can anyone guess what the tail lights would be called?

Erm, the most likely scenario is that the fuse would be called "TAIL" and you've checked the wrong one.

Have you checked for continuity across the TAIL fuse? I've seen cases where the fuse looked physically alright but no continuity.

Of course, it could be that you did check the correct fuse and it is alright, in which case the fault lies elsewhere.

Right, forgot to mention that the car has a removable tow hitch, with electrics. As a test I hooked up our bike carrier, and the tail lights on that work fine! So I'm guessing a problem with the wiring for that?

4 minutes ago, matd said:

Right, forgot to mention that the car has a removable tow hitch, with electrics. As a test I hooked up our bike carrier, and the tail lights on that work fine! So I'm guessing a problem with the wiring for that?

I've never had a towing hitch and I have no idea how they're wired up, but I'd hazard a guess that the wiring for the tail lights on the hitch are teed into the wiring for the car tail lights, so I'd have a look at the connectors where the hitch wiring meets the car wiring.

21 hours ago, matd said:

I found and checked the fuse marked "TAIL" and it's ok, but I'm not certain it's the right one. Can anyone help shed light? 

Tail is the correct fuse, which also protects the number plate lights.

I'm not familiar with how the tow hitch wiring works - when connected up does it stop the rear lights on the vehicle coming on? If so there is probably an issue with how it switches those off/on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links