Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whistling noise

We're getting a whistling noise coming from the front driver side wheel area after driving for 20+ minutes or so. It's quite loud and super annoying, is worse when going in a straight direction and temporarily goes away when steering. Dealership had a look, but oh surprise it didn't happen and they found nothing wrong.

Anyone else had this?

Is the whistling speed related?  If you stop for a few minutes does sound start immediately or after only after some time?  If you apply the footbrake does the sound go away?  Have you checked brake pads are in satisfactory condition, free and no stones are caught up? I am not familiar with your model but know brake pads on some cars have a metal contact which rubs against the disc to indicate pads need changing by producing a screeching sound.

I had a slight whistle on a front wheel bearing on a Camry quite some years ago although there was no undue play in it.  I replaced it myself and no more whistling. But i was pretty sure all else was OK before doing this.

Maybe the dealer's tec only took it for a short journey and needs one over 20 minutes.  However, before doing this, could you record the sound for him?

If it's a harsh whistling noise could it be a tyre that has lost its roundness? Especially if the car sits around for days on end in the same position. If it sounds more like a wind noise I'd be looking at a door seal or perhaps the sealing around the driver's door mirror? Or the wheelarch liner? Check the position of the wipers doesn't change too. Anything that sticks out into the air could cause a whislting type noise depending upon shape and position etc.Also check all of the grilles on the front bumper - are any loose or slightly misaligned. Also see if chaning the air condition to off or playing around with fan speeds and/or air direction has any effect on the sound. Can't think of anything else. You seem to be fairly sure it's coming from the driver's front wheel though. I'd also be looking for anything loose in and around the wheelarch and comparing from one side of the car to the other. This includes brake disk backing plates etc. Might also be a loose gaiter or any rubber cover too. I'd also get a second and third opinion from other dealerships/garages. Hope this helps, nothing worse than this sort of thing.

• 2 months later...

So we've had the dealership check the car over twice now and they can't find the source of our whistle noise. I think we're about about to give up on them, not very impressed with their techs and they recently messed up a tyre change and wheel alignment requiring us to take the vehicle back again. Not impressed at all! 

The whistle is really loud now, especially if you wind the window down. Does seem to be coming from the wheel area drivers side, front or back. It starts after driving for about 25-30 mins, can happen at any speed, mostly when cruising and slowing down, especially when going travelling in a straight line and goes away temporarily if you start turning the steering wheel. So my best guess at this point is something brake related, possibly warped rotors. It's quite a high pitched whistle, so I guess bearings are probably not the culprit. 

Any thoughts guys?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LordByronUK said:

So we've had the dealership check the car over twice now and they can't find the source of our whistle noise. I think we're about about to give up on them, not very impressed with their techs and they recently messed up a tyre change and wheel alignment requiring us to take the vehicle back again. Not impressed at all! 

The whistle is really loud now, especially if you wind the window down. Does seem to be coming from the wheel area drivers side, front or back. It starts after driving for about 25-30 mins, can happen at any speed, mostly when cruising and slowing down, especially when going travelling in a straight line and goes away temporarily if you start turning the steering wheel. So my best guess at this point is something brake related, possibly warped rotors. It's quite a high pitched whistle, so I guess bearings are probably not the culprit. 

Any thoughts guys?

If Lexus cannot tracte it,how about taking them out with you (wearing masks of course) ?

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

If Lexus cannot tracte it,how about taking them out with you (wearing masks of course) ?

I did ask that, but they said under no circumstances is that allowed at the moment

😞 If they can't fix it at the next service then I might try and find a good local mechanic as I have so little faith in the dealership technicians. They're just trying to get through as many cars as quickly as possible and anything outside of the ordinary seems out if their capacity. Either that or I'll be contacting Scotty Kilmer 😉

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, LordByronUK said:

I did ask that, but they said under no circumstances is that allowed at the moment

😞 If they can't fix it at the next service then I might try and find a good local mechanic as I have so little faith in the dealership technicians. They're just trying to get through as many cars as quickly as possible and anything outside of the ordinary seems out if their capacity. Either that or I'll be contacting Scotty Kilmer 😉

Which Dealerrship is it David ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links