Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New to Lexus - IS250 SE-L purchased - what to look out for?

Time for me to change my X-type diesel for a reliable petrol with performance and comfort.  A chum in the motor trade has found me a blinding deal for an (06) SE-L with less than 30k on the clock.  Drove it for the first time yesterday and was very, VERY impressed.  I shall get it pro-valeted and look forward to selling the Jag (sad really, but it has to go!) then I can start to play with and enjoy all the toys on my new conveyance.

I shall of course have my reliable Indy give it a thorough going over and service ... so, what should I (and he?) be looking out for oh Forum wise ones?  Any tips?

Time for me to change my X-type diesel for a reliable petrol with performance and comfort.  A chum in the motor trade has found me a blinding deal for an (06) SE-L with less than 30k on the clock.  Drove it for the first time yesterday and was very, VERY impressed.  I shall get it pro-valeted and look forward to selling the Jag (sad really, but it has to go!) then I can start to play with and enjoy all the toys on my new conveyance.

I shall of course have my reliable Indy give it a thorough going over and service ... so, what should I (and he?) be looking out for oh Forum wise ones?  Any tips?

I recently bought one and I know you should check the condition of the exhaust as I believe it's a Lexus only part if you need a replacement. Therefore, can be expensive to replace.

Also, the slide pins on the rear (front and back?) calipers have a tendency to seize and need red rubber grease on them periodically, perhaps every 6-12 months. Otherwise, you are looking at a caliper replacement.

I'm sure there are many other things that more experienced members can help you with! [emoji1417]
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Welcome Sundance. It seems that you have good and wise chums.

Please let us know the name etc of the reliable indy as Lexus have been known to require the odd need of attention.

Thanks for the welcome Guru John.

As for my Indy, I once made the mistake of recommending him and before I knew it I had to book him well in advance as word got round so quick as to his goodness.  So please forgive me if I keep his name and location very much to myself ... 😄

2 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Thanks for the welcome Guru John.

As for my Indy, I once made the mistake of recommending him and before I knew it I had to book him well in advance as word got round so quick as to his goodness.  So please forgive me if I keep his name and location very much to myself ... 😄

Thanks Rowley..........................and I bet you support Arsenal too !!

Enjoy the Forum.

Chan--Members` have bought Stainless Steel non-Lexus replacements.
I'd imagine most people would.

I should have been more specific. It might be more difficult to replace with an exhaust with the same silencing capabilities as the Genuine Lexus Exhaust?

I'd consider a JDM aftermarket exhaust, if mine ever failed.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, igotthechronicbythetree said:

I recently bought one and I know you should check the condition of the exhaust as I believe it's a Lexus only part if you need a replacement. Therefore, can be expensive to replace.

Also, the slide pins on the rear (front and back?) calipers have a tendency to seize and need red rubber grease on them periodically, perhaps every 6-12 months. Otherwise, you are looking at a caliper replacement.

I'm sure there are many other things that more experienced members can help you with! emoji1417.png

Cheers Chan but I thought (via my limited research admittedly) that the s/s exhaust was a standard fit so it should technically last forever.  But then I suppose nothing is forever. 😐

Either way I can't imagine it being a problem on a car that's not reached 30k yet and clearly seems to have been stabled most of it's life.  But I'll check anyway. 👍

As for the calipers I notice that they're painted 'Lexus blue'.  Now I'm hoping that this means the previous owner had an eye for detail which might also reflect in the way he/she maintained the car. 🤞

Many thanks for all the input  ... much appreciated. 😉

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Rowley..........................and I bet you support Arsenal too !!

Enjoy the Forum.

What?!! 😳  Where on earth did you get that idea from?

Nah, I'm south of the river me ... I'm an Eagle! 🦅

Best of luck with your SE-L as I reckon it’s the best car I’ve ever had!

Also check around the coolant pump for signs of coolant escaping ( pink crust on engine) I know it’s only done 30k but it is coming up for 14-15 years old and the pumps do tend to need attention at around 80-100k but not sure age wise, not a total loss as the pump/gasket ( genuine) can be got for around £100 and not a intricate job, just be sure to use SLLC genuine Toyota coolant on the re-build.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sundance said:

What?!! 😳  Where on earth did you get that idea from?

Nah, I'm south of the river me ... I'm an Eagle! 🦅

I`m a Posh Scouser and whenever I`m not feeling good or having a bad day......a blinking Arsenal Supporter pops out of the woodwork to spread more doom and gloom! (Anfield last game of the season 1989).

Anyway Palace are capable of beating anyone on  a good day.

Enjoy the IS and L.O.C.Rowley.

Some further quiz questions have arisen ... my new purchase has a rear spoiler, blackish alloys (presumably refurbished at some stage) and chrome 'V6' badges just below the bodywork side indicator repeaters. 

Now I assume that the spoiler and the dark alloys may have been optional extras from new but the 'V6' badges are puzzling me 'cos I've scoured various online ad sites and I've yet to find anything similar on this model.  A novelty trinket or fantasy add-on maybe? 🤔

If anyone could shed some light I'd be very happy. 🙂

Some further quiz questions have arisen ... my new purchase has a rear spoiler, blackish alloys (presumably refurbished at some stage) and chrome 'V6' badges just below the bodywork side indicator repeaters. [emoji780]

Now I assume that the spoiler and the dark alloys may have been optional extras from new but the 'V6' badges are puzzling me 'cos I've scoured various online ad sites and I've yet to find anything similar on this model.  A novelty trinket or fantasy add-on maybe? [emoji848]

If anyone could shed some light I'd be very happy. [emoji846]

V6 badges are just unusual add ons. Probably just Halfords specials [emoji23]

Any pics?

The wheels don't sound original either in terms of finish. Spoiler could be an optional extra or a retrofit.

Thanks Chan, another unusual add-on is that it has a tow bar fitted ... now I've read that Lexus do not recommend that this model tows anything! 🤭

I'll try my luck with the only photo I've got so far but being new to the site I'm not sure if it will work ...

IMG_5771A.jpg

... ah, it did work ... good!

PS : don't worry about the photoshop plate, that's purely for my son's benefit! 😄

• Like 1

Thanks Chan, another unusual add-on is that it has a tow bar fitted ... now I've read that Lexus do not recommend that this model tows anything! [emoji2960]
I'll try my luck with the only photo I've got so far but being new to the site I'm not sure if it will work ...
IMG_5771A.thumb.jpg.ac13724799de8a8906b0f775bea8e966.jpg

I don't know about the tow bar, but doesn't seem like the kind of car that tows!

Those are definitely refurbs in Black, not my taste at all sorry!You could refurbish them back to stock. Would look nice!

No need to apologise Chan, it's not your fault you don't like 'em, each to his own. 😀

I must say that I'm not overly bothered about the alloys as long as they're sound.  I don't mind the look, it's how the car performs that I'm more interested in.  Can't wait to sell the jag and get my teeth properly into my new purchase. 😋

• Like 1

No need to apologise Chan, it's not your fault you don't like 'em, each to his own. [emoji3]

I must say that I'm not overly bothered about the alloys as long as they're sound.  I don't mind the look, it's how the car performs that I'm more interested in.  Can't wait to sell the jag and get my teeth properly into my new purchase. [emoji39]

It's just a personal pet peeve [emoji23]

How is the MOT history and service history looking for this car? Also, your gut feeling when looking at it will tell you a lot, leave alone the condition of the car will tell you a lot about how honest it is.

6x green passes (no advisories) including 2014 but failed in Feb 2020 because some chump must have put the wrong wheel back on the wrong axle as "front tyre of different sizes are fitted on the same axle". 😂

There are now new advisories about tyres (eg. worn close to legal limit, slightly cracking etc) so I'm guessing that they may have been on the car for a while which means a little investment for me before next MoT due in Feb.

Service history is good and my gut feeling, as well as that of my motor trade chum who bought it for me at auction, is that it is very honest. In fact he was surprised that it looked so good when it eventually got delivered a few days ago. All the books, very tidy bodywork with no dinks or scratches ... and his driver who collected it from Nottingham said it drove all the way like a bird. 👍

Do you have Two key fobs for it? It's normally a tell tell that a car has been through an Auction that they only come out with One Key for some reason! Could be expensive/tricky getting another one if required ( Dealer only IIRC!)

2 hours ago, Texas said:

Do you have Two key fobs for it? It's normally a tell tell that a car has been through an Auction that they only come out with One Key for some reason! Could be expensive/tricky getting another one if required ( Dealer only IIRC!)

Good shout but no probs there Paul, 2x fobs and all the handbooks/manuals etc that I guess came with it as new ... but I've yet to investigate everything 😉

On 10/10/2020 at 1:20 PM, royoftherovers said:

I`m a Posh Scouser and whenever I`m not feeling good or having a bad day......a blinking Arsenal Supporter pops out of the woodwork to spread more doom and gloom! (Anfield last game of the season 1989).

Anyway Palace are capable of beating anyone on  a good day.

Enjoy the IS and L.O.C.Rowley.

Hi Roy how is your day going today?

Aston Villa supporter here 😅

6 minutes ago, Poundy said:

Hi Roy how is your day going today?

Aston Villa supporter here 😅

That certainly made me smile Norm.

Fair dinkum to Villa, twas an excellent performance as I watched it throughout and admired the skills, efforts and energies of Villa.

I hope they finish Runners Up !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links