Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New to Lexus - IS250 SE-L purchased - what to look out for?

10 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

That certainly made me smile Norm.

Fair dinkum to Villa, twas an excellent performance as I watched it throughout and admired the skills, efforts and energies of Villa.

I hope they finish Runners Up !

" One Swallow does not a summer make "

42 minutes ago, Poundy said:

Hi Rowley nice to see you on here but don't abandon us on the Jaguar Football forum always value your input there 😉

No worries there Norm, I'm quite used to multi-tasking 😂

5 hours ago, Mincey said:

What do you mean? African or European swallow?

Harry Stotel didn't elaborate

Perhaps the Coconut carrying type (Monty Python) 😄

• Haha 1

This sounds very much like my 2007 SE-L I managed to pick up for a very nice price with 35k on the clock. Mine had even had the water pump done at some stage, not sure if it was preemptive or leaking. There are certainly some nice examples about of Lexus of this era, saw some nice GS's too but too much car for me.

Best car I've driven. I did a Scotland road trip and got 42mpg on the trips up and down. Overall on fairly quiet roads it returned high 30s throughout. Surprising economy. I do expect that to plummet on commutes and through winter if returning to the office but it's nice to know you can achieve such figures.

Mine is due for a service late this year and I'll get the calipers looked at. No obvious problems but another known weak point.

It would seem that Bluetooth was an optional extra for my model. Am I correct in thinking that Bluetooth comes with the navigation system so if the phone buttons are not on the steering wheel and there's no centre console screen then Bluetooth is not a standard fitting? 🤔

Forgive me if I'm stating the bl**din' obvious but I'm still on a low rung of the learning ladder for this car. 😄

That's how it is with mine ... but I'm on a facelift 2010 version.

Many moons back I had a 07 220D. That did not have Bluetooth but I fitted a gadget thingy to give me Bluetooth capabilities.

Lexus were incredibly slow off the mark with something as basic as Bluetooth on the earlier models.

• 3 weeks later...

Today was Service day, first since Feb 2014 (apparently?) and just 11,542 miles ago ... and it's still under 30k. 😳

My mechanic was very impressed, thankfully the former keepers appear to have been looking after this one ... although 6+ years is a bit of a long Service gap!  Unless of course the book wasn't stamped! 🤔  Oil and filters weren't that bad but obviously needed changing, also it passed the coolant quality test with flying colours. 😀

All brake pads are fairly new although front discs are a tad worn but still acceptable, rears are fine.  Front tyres are also fairly new but rears need replacing as there's evidence of cracking ... through age rather than use I might add.  So 2x Bridgestone Turanza's on order via Blackcircles to be fitted Saturday. 👏

As has been mentioned on another thread we have a Witter Detachable Swan Towbar fitted which, although colour matched, is a bit of an eyesore ... but I've decided to leave it there for the time being. 🧐

All in all a happy day for this new-to-Lexus owner ... just 17 days in. 👍

• Like 1

Note: you say coolant was ‘checked’ and passed, was the brake fluid tested in any way as this is recommended to be changed every 2 years? As this is one thing that does deteriorate over time and not miles!

Do you know if the Cabin Filter has ever been changed? If not, it's worth doing.

If it's old and full of debris and crud you'll notice an improvement in air quality inside the car when it's changed. I get the charcoal type from Eurocarparts whenever I do a bulk buy of assorted bits. They're only £11 or so.

Here is how to do it. Follow the instructions, do not force anything as a broken link can be very expensive. Once you've done it ... it's quite easy. Just remember 'recirculate button' every time before you start. Change mine every year.

2 hours ago, Texas said:

Note: you say coolant was ‘checked’ and passed, was the brake fluid tested in any way as this is recommended to be changed every 2 years? As this is one thing that does deteriorate over time and not miles!

Cheers Paul, will look into that 👍

Just found some paperwork that includes two post-2014 Lexus Service Documentation Folders, neither of which indicate that a Service was carried out, but I do now have a record of a 'Visual Safety Report' in 2016 and an airbag recall in late 2017 with another 'Visual Safety Report'. 😃

I can also see that this car has spent most, if not all, of its life in Nottingham and has had a personalised/cherished registration for a while too.  Any further detail would obviously break necessary confidentiality but if any Forum dweller recognises the scenario I would be very pleased to hear from them. 😉

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 10:28 PM, JDM-Fiend said:

I don't know about the tow bar, but doesn't seem like the kind of car that tows!

Those are definitely refurbs in Black, not my taste at all sorry!You could refurbish them back to stock. Would look nice!

The wheels are nice. I'm after black 18s for my car I just bought a lexus too. I tinted my windows to 75% light all around. I want to swap my wheels 

20201201_110213.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 10:40 AM, JDM-Fiend said:

I recently bought one and I know you should check the condition of the exhaust as I believe it's a Lexus only part if you need a replacement. Therefore, can be expensive to replace.

Also, the slide pins on the rear (front and back?) calipers have a tendency to seize and need red rubber grease on them periodically, perhaps every 6-12 months. Otherwise, you are looking at a caliper replacement.

I'm sure there are many other things that more experienced members can help you with! [emoji1417]

Hi. Can anyone tell me the average cost for a caliper replacement from a quality indy?

On 12/10/2020 at 6:08 AM, Marleez said:

I used to have an x type sport premium and now got a lexus. The lexus is a much better car

To be fair Marlon the manual diesel X type was very good to me and I enjoyed every minute of the 6 years I owned it.  The IS250 is quite a different animal but I'm increasingly enjoying the experience ... just 2 months in.

Switching to a superbly quiet petrol 2.5 auto after so long on manual diesels (Peugeots for many years before the X type) is quite disconcerting and, for me at least, it's taking some getting used to.

Perhaps as a result of my lack of the experience of 'relatively modern' automatics I find myself using the 'sport' mode click-shift a lot which is fun and very smooth.  But the one thing I'm finding difficult to get used to is the foot (hand!) brake.  But I'll get there ... eventually! 😉

20 hours ago, Marleez said:

I've had mine replaced. Front or rear calipers.

Hi @Marleez - both. Reading around seems around £300 per corner ?

I'm a prospective Lexus owner trying to establish if I'll find myself out my depth as my budget is tight.

Calipers seem to be a common problem, along with alloy corrosion, problems with exhausts (and carbon buildup but less common in the UK) - and spark plug replacement costly if not already done.

I'm looking at cars from 07 onward - most have around 80k on the clock.

Seems to me if I choose wisely I might have trouble free motoring, but calipers will definitely need regular attention as part of maintenance.