Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front number plate tape (LS400)

Looking for your experience about using double sided tape to attach number plates please 🙂

Here is the area where the plate goes on the front, there is a "plinth" made of plastic that goes between the bumper and the plate. It is an n shape, with no plastic supporting the plate for most of the bottom

Because of the shape of the plinth, I'm a little hesitant about essentially only taping the number plate on at the top. Has anyone experienced any problems with taping only the top? Anyone using a backing plate?

IMG_20201011_142846.jpg

most number plate suppliers might give you the option of either a screw fix or a tape fix AND supply the appropriate tape

When I renewed mine over  BCA3  on my Mk2 the new plate just taped over the old without removing it

I've gone for screw fixes since though .............  although I don't have a preference

Malc

30 minutes ago, BlueWagon said:

Looking for your experience about using double sided tape to attach number plates please 🙂

Here is the area where the plate goes on the front, there is a "plinth" made of plastic that goes between the bumper and the plate. It is an n shape, with no plastic supporting the plate for most of the bottom

Because of the shape of the plinth, I'm a little hesitant about essentially only taping the number plate on at the top. Has anyone experienced any problems with taping only the top? Anyone using a backing plate?

IMG_20201011_142846.jpg

yep - done it my last 430 - 8 years - no problems - I bought some non-brand tape strips from eBay

I did it on mark 4 but the plate dropped off whilst visiting a friend and I drove 240 miles without a front plate and he posted it back to me as I did not notice it had fell off.

I suggest you use the nylon screws as the tape gets a lot of weather and windage on the front.

I used tape on my LS400 only the other day and it's fine. I've done the same on the GS and IS, both of which have a similar plinth. Trick is to get it as clean as you can and cover the area with cut pieces. Halfords do packs of three strips, I got two packs and cut each piece in half. I use tape because drilling isn't really my thing.

My RX 400h had nylon screws but they were damaged. I filled the large hole with a rawl plug and just used screws to attach my own number plate.

No metal to metal contact - or coat the screws and hole with Waxoyl = I LOVE Waxoyl!

Which reminds me of a story............................................

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the info 🙂 

In the end I used some 3M VHB tape on the plinth, to stick to the top of the number plate. And then in the cut out part of the plinth, I used some 6mm foam tape from Halfords to give the plate a bit of support and to help me feel better about it (it only reaches down to around half way down the plate anyway)

Will update here if I run into any problems