Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GSF noise from rear at idle

I have noticed that there is a nose coming from the rear of my car at idle after the initial a bit of a drive, which  which increases and decreases in sound. It’s like a dull whining noise but nothing irritating and it’s unlikely that passengers would notice it. It’s not audible from the outside but sounds like it is coming from under the rear seat area from the inside. Has anyone else noticed this?  I’m assuming this is a normal sound from the diff but just thought I would ask just in case. 

How much petrol is in the car. Have noticed on mine if the fuel level is very low (usually when my wife has been using it, as she’s allergic to filling stations) the fuel pump is quite vocal. Once re-fuelled the noise disappears.

Thanks for the comments. 
I’m in normal mode with 3/4 of a tank.
I assumed that ASC only works in Sport & Sport +, but I will give it a go. 
I will try and catch it on video when I next hear it. 

5 minutes ago, mrfunex said:

It’s not the fans for the cooled front seats is it? 

No, they haven’t been on for a while. Good idea though, as that has caught me out in the past. I tried to capture it on video but all you can hear is the engine at idle  🤦🏽‍♂️. I’ll try again when I next notice it. 

After a bit of searching I stubbled across this 

Link

I’m guessing as mine is a 2017 car and the UK TSB is for 2016 models that it is unlikely the dealer will not entertain this fix. No harm in asking I guess ! 

8 hours ago, F.A. said:

Sorry typo. ^ not entertain this fix. 

This is a video captured by someone else,  but it’s the same noise I’m experiencing. 

Link

Even if there isn't a TSB it should still be fixed under warranty as it isn't normal. I think someone posted recently that their pump was replaced under warranty.

10 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Thanks Colin. That’s very helpful. 
I managed to catch it on video today.However I couldn’t get through to the dealer. I will try again tomorrow. 

I can't say that I am confident that I can hear anything on the video but what appears to be shuffling - is that the sound that you refer to?

I rarely have the audio on and I can confirm that beyond the exhaust, there are no abnormalities in sound within the cabin.

Bristol Lexus had a quick look today. Provisional diagnosis is the fuel pump but the car is booked in for further investigation. Great service as usual. 

• 1 month later...

The fuel pump was changed yesterday and the nose has now disappeared. All covered under the extended warranty. Again great service by Raj and his team at Bristol Lexus. 
On a side note, I had the opportunity to run around on a few loan cars over the past few weeks whilst our cars were at the dealer.  I’m not comparing these cars to our F, as that is not a fair comparison, but below are my thoughts from the short time they were in my procession. 

20 Plate NX 300h Appeared to be a base model. Nice car but obviously lacked equipment ( as expected) and was gutless. 
20 Plate ES 300h F Sport. Good car if I was doing a lot of motorway miles but felt like a boat and whilst the interior looked nice, it was too plasticky for my liking. A real downgrade to the 4GS range in that respect. 
20 Plate UX250h F Sport. This was a real surprise in that I really enjoyed driving it. Very nibble and surprisingly nippy. Way too small for us but a good car. 

I was impressed with the smoothness and how quiet the eCVT was when on fully throttle on the UX and ES. 

• Like 1