Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

looking at IS300 today, help appreciated

Iceboy

Hi All,

I'm going to look at the above car later today and wanted some pointer around what to look out for?

The car is a 2002 salon has 130k on the clock and has a square number plate at the front with an Asseto badge or something similar on the front grill.

Is this an import and non-uk car? Anything particular I should check on this?

Any help tips and advice greatly appreciated.

When should timing belts be replaced?

IceBoy

Altezza? An import or made to look like one. If you've got the reg then the .GOV site should give you clues. Got a link for the car?

Apart from general condition and "feel" if it's in fact a UK IS300 then look for evidence the cam belt has been done. £300ish job if not. Should be every 10 years. 2JZ-GE is strong but look to see if it's nice and dry underneath. CD player probably won't work but if it does that's a bonus. Rust on the front edge of the rear arches and sills. Rust generally especially around the front and rear suspension components but quite often it looks worse than it is ie surface only.

Other than that it depends on how confident you are of sorting it yourself. Lack of service history (apart from cam belt) doesn't bother me too much because they're easy to work on.

Keep us posted :thumbsup:

Thanks Rich, will keep you posted.

The car is not advertised and is a friend of a friends car, who I have been told is a bit of a petrol head.

Apparently it has a TOMS bumper and headunit upgrade.

I will check about cambelt changes.

IceBoy

PS Are they sluggish or are they responsive?

Not sure really. The only options I've ever really seen are nav, leather and xenons. I'm sure someone else could tell you more.

Cam belt is as I say 10 years or (I think) 100k. Should have been done at least once and it's coming up for another.

I didn't think the Altezza came in 3.0 saloon form, only the Gita/SportCross (estate). Double check what engine it has - AS200 is the same as the IS200 in the UK, RS200 has the more powerful 4 cylinder 2.0 engine, and the AS300 Gita is the IS300 SportCross with the straight 6 2JZ-GE engine (auto only).

In terms of specification, there are more options available in Japan so it would be difficult to say what it has fitted without seeing it.

Hello OP here,

I have just checked the MOT history and it goes back to 2006, so I think it will be a UK. It is definitely IS300 3.0 straight 6 engine. He said it has the 2JZ GE engine and is an auto.

I was supposed to view it today but it now looks like it will be the weekend.

Will update you all then.

Thanks

IceBoy

• Like 1