Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My GS300 Mk1 98 has done 75k Ive had her 1 year, Last owners I think were idiots and I have no service history with the car :shutit: .

now the thing is, has the cam belt and plugs been done at 60k?????

is there anyway of telling if these vital jobs have been done.

the engine runs as sweet as a nut, but I need some peace of mind.

thanks guys.

I seem to recall that Lexus have changed when they recommend the cambelts on the GS should be changed - from 60k to 100k miles, so you should be fine.

Hope that's the case anyway, or else I have to shell out on mine!!!

Interesting, what Claire is going to do. My GS is one of the last with 9k service intervals, (98 mark 2 model) which changed I think to 10k shortly after mine was made. I still service mine at 9k, and changed the cambelt at 63k as per spec.

I wonder if the actual cars are different in some way or whether I'm just wasting money by not assuming the less rigid intervals?

When I was looking to buy I wnt to Lexus Bromley with reg details and they ran a check on service history of two cars I was interested in.

Well worth doing as one car had clearly been 'clocked' and the other had just had £2K work done by Lexus Croydon (full service/cambelt/drivebelt/plugs/front balljoints/new discs all round/4 new tyres/brake fluid service etc). Mileage was verified from recorded service history. Needlessto say I bought the latter car.

The only thing was they could not give me a printout because it would have the previous owners name and address on it.

My GS is the 9k interval jobby

colin. are you sure about that.. surely the valves bend upon breakage of the cam belt?

Do the valves miss then??

Also it is worth getting the cam belt tensioner checked to as these can go too.

Colin

So the old MK IV Supra TT's in the Aristo's MK I will be OK then, have been panicing trying to get a garage to do a cam Change for a reasonable price, does this mean I can stop worrying a bit and wait until I find someone

BR

Paul

Hiya

I dont want to sound like i am an expert but i have a book for timing belts of all makes and it says that this engine inline 6 and v8 have been identified as an interferance engine... This means that if the belt nips its game over and a bucket load of doh to fix...

Think about it 24v and 32v at say 12-15 quid each no to mention the stems, head gasket, belts, idolers, bolts and the labour i had a diesel 2.5 master that nipped and it cost me 900 quid to sort and there were only 4 vavles hit... And thats me removing and replacing the head myself...

With Thanks

Thank you guys for all your info, I will get onto lexus to see if they have any history on my car, I have no stickers in my engine bay or my plates, would not do the job myself cant even find the spark plugs.

:blink:

Hi.i got my cam belt done last year at warrington lexus and they never stickerd the engine bay.In the past ive had 2 cam belts go on me.one in a ford cortina,the engine just cut out straight away so no damage,the other was in a Rover sd1 2.6 straight six and every thing was shot,valve guids,piston tops,rings,cylinder head.....was a big bill.

If anyone has a go at doing it themselves, or already has done - let me know! I may do mine but i'll wait for someone else to do it first. I refuse to pay Lexus for anything!!

If anyone has a go at doing it themselves, or already has done - let me know! I may do mine but i'll wait for someone else to do it first.

I'll be doing mine after the Euro Meet - just incase things go ti*s up, knowing my luck, this can be easly done :D

Will let you know how long it took and what tools up needed for setting up the timing

Dont know about the GS's but you should be able to "lock" the cam/s in position so you wont need to set the timing up.

Cheers Pete, that should make life a bit easier if this is the case - hope so.