Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Accident with boot carpet

I usually keep a boot carpet protector in my car, especially as it saves carpet from residue of plant material and miscellaneous stuff.  On the one occasion I left it out because it needed cleaning and I was conveying some bedding to my daughter, some milk leaked as we collected shopping.  As you doubtless know, stale milk smells pretty rank and stains, so I managed to get most of it out at the time.  When back home I removed the two screws and removed the carpet which is stuck to some sort of hard board material.  I could have used a stronger based cleaner but did not wish to risk activating the glue that secures it to the 'hard board' type material so used a more mild fabric cleaner and a small amount of warn water with a little drop of washing up liquid and gradually lightly soaked it and dabbed until dry, finishing with a hair dryer. Job done but one I could have done without. 

Although my car came with quickly removable over carpets, there was not one provided for the boot which would have helped somewhat.  Anyway, the rubber liner I bought is now back in the boot and I would recommend anyone who has not got one to get one.  You never know what you might have to bring home.  This is the one I got which is made in Europe (probably made in eastern part such as Poland).  It seems well made and fits my 3rd Gen RX450h fine. Can't remember which of several sellers I got it from but is is REZAW-PLAST as  here. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXCLUSIVE-RUBBER-BOOT-LINER-DOG-MAT-TRAY-FOR-LEXUS-RX-450h-SUV-2009-2015/183524967789?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&epid=2009194308&hash=item2abaf0c56d:g:opAAAOSwRK9b5ArU

• Like 3

Yes Barry, I've experienced milk leakage after a supermarket trip too.  Fortunately, my RX had a Lexus boot liner already fitted when I bought it.  That one you link to on eBay looks great value.....as long as it fits properly.

19 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Yes Barry, I've experienced milk leakage after a supermarket trip too.  Fortunately, my RX had a Lexus boot liner already fitted when I bought it.  That one you link to on eBay looks great value.....as long as it fits properly.

And I have had one in the back of the Merc Estate for nearly 20 years and Barry is right to flag it up.

• Like 2

Lexus boot liners have saved me on many an occasion over the years. The first was not long after I bought my first IS200. I did think that £70 for a liner was a bit steep but not after I had to do an emergency stop and a bottle of red wine was smashed in the boot. I've had them in all my subsequent cars and wouldn't leave the dealer without one being fitted.

• Like 3

When I bought my Auris there was no boot liner or floor mats. Bought off eBay as much cheaper then buying from Toyota. They fit well. 

On my 1996 Volvo 940 the floor mats are moulded plastic. Great in winter as they stop melting snow on shoes getting the carpets wet. I think Volvo at the time called them "snow trays"

James.

This week in Lidl they are selling boot liners for £6.99.  They are a one size fits all and don't have a lip round them HOWEVER they would be quite useful to put underneath the proper bootliner and used to pull up to protect the other carpets when the back seats are down for carrying rubbish to the tip etc.

JBP

On 10/15/2020 at 10:14 AM, royoftherovers said:

I thought that Aberdeen was closed for the rest of the year Ken ?

Nah...we've been behaving ourselves lately and the ginga ninja has allowed us outside with three friends which is pushing it a bit.  It's our lowland cousins in Glasga, and a wee bit in Erinburra, who have had their wrists slapped.  Who wants to go to Blackpool to watch a Celtic vs Ranges match with a load of other people just so you can get blootered!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

On my 1996 Volvo 940 the floor mats are moulded plastic. Great in winter as they stop melting snow on shoes getting the carpets wet. I think Volvo at the time called them "snow trays"

James.

My IS300h came with the "Protection Pack" which has rubber floor mats. I was a bit miffed to start with as my IS250 had nice, squashy cloth (not cloth - but you know what I mean!) mats. I was going to buy a set of £100 (cough!) mats but there was a breakdown in communication with the sales guy and they were never ordered. To be honest, I'm quite pleased. Although they're a bit squeaky sometimes, mud and leaves come off them with a lot less effort.

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

My IS300h came with the "Protection Pack" which has rubber floor mats. I was a bit miffed to start with as my IS250 had nice, squashy cloth (not cloth - but you know what I mean!) mats. I was going to buy a set of £100 (cough!) mats but there was a breakdown in communication with the sales guy and they were never ordered. To be honest, I'm quite pleased. Although they're a bit squeaky sometimes, mud and leaves come off them with a lot less effort.

They are good. Volvo trays I just take out and tip out, give them a pressure wash, job done. Worst. My Auris boot mat is made of the felt carpet that all the bits cling too! Have the liner tray, with mat inside, to stop things sliding about. Carpet mats in the Auris are not as bad as boot mat but being black show up bits. Cant complain though as full mat set for footwells cost £11.99!

James. 

Since we are now also considering carpets, mine are a light shade that could be creme with black overmats inscribed Lexus and probably genuine.  Unfortunately, on the passenger side the overmat does not fully cover part of the creme carpet where a passenger plants their left foot which results in a dirty mark.  The drivers side is not quite so bad at the foot controls are largely in the way.  I think I can devise some protection on the passengers side but am aware care needs to be taken that foot controls are not impeded.  The arrangement is better on other cars I have owned.  Anybody else considered this?

On 10/16/2020 at 6:54 PM, Barry14UK said:

Since we are now also considering carpets, mine are a light shade that could be creme with black overmats inscribed Lexus and probably genuine.  Unfortunately, on the passenger side the overmat does not fully cover part of the creme carpet where a passenger plants their left foot which results in a dirty mark.  The drivers side is not quite so bad at the foot controls are largely in the way.  I think I can devise some protection on the passengers side but am aware care needs to be taken that foot controls are not impeded.  The arrangement is better on other cars I have owned.  Anybody else considered this?

When I had my series 3 I managed to geta set of genuine Lexus beige rubber over mats. They were fantastic quality, much nicer than the Lexus rubber mats in my series 4

Hi Les, did it it cover the exposed part not well covered by the carpet overmats.  I think it's much better to try to prevent grit and grime reaching the base carpeting.  Continually clean this is a chore and will eventually look worn and discoloured - much nicer to protect and when you sell on show what good condition undercarpet is in.