Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How to dismantle rear cv joint

alanann

I have purchased a new rear outer cv joint for my gs450h, this comes with a circlip as opposed to a wire spring clip

so it appears the joint has to be dismantled to assemble on the driveshaft and fit the circlip to the end of the shaft inside the joint

it looks like a normal cv with 6 balls but this joint slides although it does not slide straight out like the inner joints

I have tried to swivel it to dismantle it like the standard front cv joints but it won't come apart.

I have not got the old shaft off yet so i have nothing to compare it with.

has anyone any idea how to dismantle the joint please?

I messaged Febest for some info, Febest replied and asked for VIN so they could check the manual so I sent that 9.30 this morning but not had a reply yet so it looks like I am snookered until after the weekend. I am assuming the joint has to be split to enable it to be fitted because of the type of circlip it was supplied with,

The original is not off the car yet so i have nothing to compare. If someone knows how it can be done let me know. I know a CV is a CV unless it is for a Lexus rear axle but if it does not need to be split let me know how it is fitted with the supplied circlip as in the pic above.

The other hurdle is the conical steel cover as in the pic it is crimped on and the boot is secured to it, unlike any other CV I have seen.

• 3 weeks later...

update..

I had no luck from Febest they could not explain how to dismantle the joint so I sent it back for a refund.

I am going to purchase a used complete halfshaft looking for a decent one with low miles if possible,

there are loads on eBay from around 30 quid but no mileages quoted so I am undecided at the mo.

can anyone recommend a supplier?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links