Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had a couple of recent incidents were the satnav display as frozen and the operation stops, the displays shows caption when restarted check cd-rom cannot read cd- rom.

I have taken out the player and accessed the laser cleaned it and re-installed it is now functioning properly but I do not know if the cd is failing checked eBay and they are not available.

I cannot see this player having an intermittent fault usually cd players work or don't  ,I am wondering if anyone else as had this problem in the past.

The DVD system in my GS certainly developed an intermittent fault. Thought it was the disc because occasionally I could eject the disc, give it a wipe and it was all good but it was in fact the unit. Picked up a cheap replacement and it was fine.

I have decided to try another player as the disc is in perfect condition ,another option sprung to mind as I perused the auction sites .

The cd player unit in the boot is exactly the same as the dvd player in the 430 with all the same plugs I was wondering if its possible to use that player and improve the functions of the navigation system in the 97-2000 400.

I recall having problems with the odd freeze with my Mk4, but then when I sorted the 'water in boot' problem the freeze problem stopped.

I put that down to the moisture mucking up the read head in the DVD unit.

Used to have a Peugeot 406 years ago, and found that it's boot based CD player would get real bad condensation problems in cold weather.  Newer seemed to affect the playing of CD's, but assumed it never good to have any condensate near that sort of stuff.

Hi Pete

The condensation theory has crossed my mind but the boot is dry  and as never been wet so I doubt that being the cause.I stripped the unit down and checked the head lens and it was crystal clear .The likely cause is a sticking drive because the page freezes but the distance to target still operates ,this means the gps is working and computing but the information is not being sent too and from the disc.

The intermittent nature of the problem means it sets up ok runs for about ten miles and then freezes and requires a complete reboot to start again.