Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just bought an RX400h!!!!

A-Rod

Hello all, I've posted a thread where I was looking for an RX350, but a lot of you have convinced me that the RX400h is pretty reliable. So I went and bought an extremely beautiful example - travelled 180 miles to pick it up.

Before picking it up, I went to see another example at a different dealer and, albeit it was advertised as mint condition and FLSH, it was a bag of poo. The car was in bad condition, very dirty, there was a knock when moving off and a strange vibration when the car switched from petrol to hybrid; for example, when you were about to come to a stop and hybrid would kick in. I just walked away. Bear in mind that the car had full LSH and last serviced in June, but mechanic state was awful. Also, the car was MOT'd in June and had tons of issues, such as corroded fuel lines / pipes, ARB bushes and so on - the dealer allegedly MOT'd the car yesterday and when I challenged about those stuff he kept quite. Basically, a very dodgy dealer: Chadwell Motors in Romford. Avoid these cowboys at all cost!

Anyway, off to another dealer. This time, the interior was simply immaculate. Not a single tear. 1 owner from new. Full Lexus history and camblet / pump changed too. Driving wise, not a single issue. It has done 106k miles only, so I took it.

It is 2009 SE, but has all the bells and whistles (apart from rear entertainment screen). I noticed that it states that it is Mark Levinson system on the audio, but it doesn't have an embedded Mark Levinson on the speakers - is this norm or is it not ML?

Welcome my new baby!99095238c7379bde85f748ca7bad9c3b.jpg

• Like 4

Just to add, the car is fitted with a Mark Levinson system, I knew it sounded awesome the moment I turned the system on. Also, the car came with front and rear sensors which was a Lexus dealer added option, I saw a receipt with "LPA 800" with a "sensors" wording, but unsure if this is a parking sensor option after all; either way, it is something I wanted to have as it helps a lot when passing a tractor when you're around the Cotswold / Harrogate narrow roads.

I couldn't believe how fast the car is - it is mighty quick for the size! To be honest with you, I've driven a lot of cars so I don't feel a difference with the gearbox / hybrid in terms of driving. I do feel that I'm more eco cautious as I keep looking at the hybrid Battery screen haha. I've driven 7 hours and a total of 250 miles and I love it.

• Like 2

hi  I am thinking of buying one

did  you  check the mot history ? how much did you pay ?  any tips 

does the  battery  drive off on silent even with air con on ?  has the cam belt been done ? 

is that the original Battery powering the hybrid?

sorry  I am just  full of trying to get info 

I pplan on spending  3- k to 6   k 

hi  I am thinking of buying one

did  you  check the mot history ? how much did you pay ?  any tips 

does the  battery  drive off on silent even with air con on ?  has the cam belt been done ? 

is that the original battery powering the hybrid?

sorry  I am just  full of trying to get info 

I pplan on spending  3- k to 6   k 

Hi, no offence or anything, but I think you're best to have a very good research on the net if these are the kind of questions you have in mind; they are not wrong questions by all means - there are tons of information on this forum which covers everything you may need to check when considering buying an RX400h.

It is really a lot to list so I won't be able to cover everything but it goes without saying that if you don't check a car's history then you're in for a surprise.

Just look for a car with full Lexus history and the one that had its cambelt / pump replaced as it may be an expensive venture. Also try to find one with very few previous owners and clean MOT, also check where the MOT has been carried out as it is common to issue fake MOTs (like in my example above).

I paid a premium price but my car only had 1 owner since new with full Lexus history and all parts replaced at Lexus only, no advisories on the MOTs and all MOTs carried out at Lexus; pump / belt replaced by Lexus, Battery health checked on every stamp and warranted for 1 year at each interval, bushes replaced at Lexus, new brakes and tyres and so on. Basically the previous owner really liked his car, the interior is simply immaculate!

The guys on this forum are very helpful and the ones who commented on my thread helped me make up my mind RE go with an RX400h instead of RX350. Every component can break in any car so this varies, however Lexus RX scored, and still does, highest in consumer reports for reliability, e.g. WhatCar.

I am a member on here since 2012, but I forgot my account details for the old account when I had a blue 2005 IS200 SE - this forum has tons of valuable info, just dive in with a search button. As in any forum, it is filled with issues and members trying to find a resolution, so don't get put off - I've owned an e60 520d and BMW forums all screamed that the N47 engine suffers from timing chain issue, mine never did and all the issues posted on forums, it never had. It died at 127k miles but due to rod bearing failure, which is a common issue on e60 M5 and not e60 520d models and this just an example for you.

The Battery can fail but it is a rare thing as most users are still driving on original batteries with 180k miles across the US and cars are sold on eBay with 200k miles in the UK on original batteries. I caught an Uber on Sunday and the guy's Auris Hybrid had 230k miles on the clock, so I asked him tons of questions and he mentioned that his old Auris reached 350k miles before he traded it in and it had an original Battery which had no issues. Toyota's hybrid system is so reliable that BMW buys these nowadays and Toyota now gets BMW engines in return for their Supra models.

Expect to pay around £7k-£8k to get a good 2008-09 example in good condition with Lexus history, few owners, etc.

I hope this helps.

P.S. driving this car is just a pleasure and I am not being biased as I have owned some of the most luxurious brands, including but not limited to, VW Phaeton, Continental GT, e60 5 series, A6 C7 Allroad, etc. The Lexus feels as premium as my Phaeton / Continental (obviously those cars had extra bling and nice touches, but seats in the RX are more comfy). Driving wise, I don't feel much difference from driving my other cars which had air suspension and were above 2 tonnes, it is as comfy; having no gears and slight nudge at gear changes is definitely a good touch and one that I did notice. Also, I was very surprised by its acceleration considering its size and it was definitely faster than my Phaeton. The hybrid kicks in straight away and you can drive it with aircon turned on but there are tips on this forum to help you preserve the Battery by turning aircon off when stationary for long time, etc. My village has a 20mph limit around town so it drives on batteries and then switches between when necessary - RX is not an EV and hybrid is more of a performance addition than pure economy. I do notice that my previous driving style matches with hybrid economy though, in that I'm used to driving and letting the acceleration off so it costs a bit (I drove 6.0 Continental and Phaeton, so this was a habit) and in return it charges the batteries or drives on Battery most of the time - to me this works in an economical way too.

• Like 3

Quote: RX is not an EV and hybrid is more of a performance addition than pure economy. I do notice that my previous driving style matches with hybrid economy though, in that I'm used to driving and letting the acceleration off so it costs a bit (I drove 6.0 Continental and Phaeton, so this was a habit) and in return it charges the batteries or drives on Battery most of the time - to me this works in an economical way too.

I agree but also you get good economy compared with a standard 3.0 litre or 3.5 litre ICE alone. The 400h does not blow you away with its economy but when you consider its size and performance it is more "livable" at around 30 mpg. I am running very short journeys of 4 mile round trips (school run) in traffic. I am getting 27 mpg.

• Like 2

great  reply 

I have been looking - looks like  I will have to  have patience 

i  found one on gumtree that ticked all the boxes 2 owners  fsh lexus- cam and water pump done - year  2009 immaculate private sale though  but  gone  😞

so they do go quickly 

thanks for  the advice  ill keep you posted  while I learn from browsing the forum 

🙂

Hi all, my first project: getting an AUX fitted as I'm not into buying CDs and rather play tunes on Spotify. I didn't want to buy the cassette adapters or the lighter socket "things".

I have seen various posts on here about the dilemma of fitting an Aux and people using various adapters - there doesn't seem to be a lot of DIYs for proper Aux adapters and those that I found were a bit over complicated which involved rewiring.

I found an easy DIY on Russian YouTube channel(s); believe it or not but I followed a lot of Russian channels as these guys had some of the best and very detailed RX reviews, including various off road challenges and so on - those videos have millions of views and are followed by everyone worldwide, thanks to translation captions!

Anyway, I found this guy fitting an AUX cable within 5-10min that leaves no errors and everything works as normal, i.e. steering wheel controls and CD changer works as normal. I have checked for similar kits on eBay and these are only £38 from Germany.

Has anyone fitted one of these before to their 2008-09 RX?

ebeec5dcd5b29bd03a5ba9c8c5596d87.jpg
  • Like 1

No experience with the above but I can recommend the GROM UK aux and Bluetooth devices. Not sure they allow for the steering wheel controls though.
Hi, thanks for letting me know. I've looked at GROM but it is way overpriced for what it offers.

I'm reluctant to pay £140 for GROM's kit to listen to some music and based on people's feedback (YouTube link), the first choice is cheap and reliable + offers same performance.

Not exactly what you want to hear, but I love my Grom Vline.  The Sygic navigation app is way better than almost anything else I've ever used (and I used satnav a lot for desert driving in the M.E.)

I can hook up my Torque dongle to get live engine data, and play music from several streaming sites or the built in SD slot.

I'm intending to keep the car for several years, so it's worth it for me.

• 2 months later...

It has been 3 months since I bought my RX400h and I am glad to have gone ahead with Lexus. It is a joy to drive and feels as comfy as my Phaeton did. The build quality is very good, so I get no rattles and no noises. I live on the countryside surrounded by A/B roads, so charging up the batteries is no issue; likewise, using them in town has been great. To be honest, I don't pay attention (just like the manual suggests) to the Battery consumption / usage as it just does its own thing - it never goes below 3 bars. I don't drive like a nun to save money on fuel, as otherwise it beats a purpose of buying a performance oriented hybrid SUV; as far as I'm concerned, both RX / GS hybrids were focused on performance rather than economy and I must admit, it is fun leaving cars behind.

There are a few things I noticed:

• Misting of windows: this is pretty much a Japanese thing as I've owned a Lexus in the past, as well as 2019 Rav4, Subaru Legacy, Avensis and all of them had the same fate. Slight sign of rain and the windows mist up like crazy. This is obviously resolved with A/C being on, however I only ever had to turn my A/C in German cars when it really poured down. Also, if you park up on a rainy day then your windows will mist up and even with A/C on it takes a while to get your windows to clear.
  • Acceleration: I am still getting used to my RX when I floor it. The torque steer is insane and you really have to hold the steering wheel with two hands. I am impressed by how it picks up speed! However, I expected the rear wheels to kick in to reduce torque steer but it only does so during heavy rain or when cornering. I loved my Subaru Legacy's AWD acceleration, however I do understand that the RX isn't really an AWD/4WD vehicle. It also feels a bit too soft when taking corners, but then again, it isn't a racing car so it I wasn't expecting it to feel planted.
  • Braking: another thing that I am still getting used to. I understand RX400h is fitted with regenerative braking (Lexus Hybrid Overview Manual: "regenerative braking system which works in conjunction with its conventional hydraulic braking system. As a result, the brakes may feel different from a conventional vehicle") but I sometimes feel that I am having difficulty with assessing how hard I have to brake. It is a very weird feeling. I had a good read on this forum and this is what most people experience when they first jumped on RX400h. Don't get me wrong, the brakes are very sharp; as a matter of fact, I had to emergency brake twice and it was spot on. However, it is that weird feeling, almost feels like mechanical braking engages and then the other brakes engage and the mechanical disengages - or something along those lines.

Otherwise, the car drives and feels amazing. I am very happy. Will give this to my other half in the future and probably get my hands on a performance Lexus, like an ISF. I love Lexus reliability factor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A-Rod said:

but I sometimes feel that I am having difficulty with assessing how hard I have to brake.

Anticipation is the key, so that you just brake very gently most of the time and maximise the power going back into the Battery.

1947180226_regenbrakes1.thumb.png.007004e55355b34c0daa5e75cff4957e.png

281708904_regenbrakes2.thumb.png.ec6e9fe870b0da3f8a819c7291a9a6f8.png

• Like 2