Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Price Record for LS400?

That is probably the finest example on the planet and as been refurbed to factory condition looks like all the usual faults on the mark 1 have been addressed so quite a lot of time and money is invested.

21 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

That is probably the finest example on the planet and as been refurbed to factory condition looks like all the usual faults on the mark 1 have been addressed so quite a lot of time and money is invested.

It is stunning, it looks like the seat covers are new, I looked into getting some for mine but when I saw the price they got repaired instead. There’s over a $3000.00 spend just on the fronts!

C76C32A6-095F-4251-8168-D2F750D06286.png

4 minutes ago, Malc said:

and the insurance value if you used the car on the road in the UK is probably a staggering  £3000  maybe :wink3:

Malc

Mine is insured “agreed value” at £3000.00 at the moment but looking to increase this at renewal time. Collecting evidence of values at the moment to justify it.

Going into the body shop at the end of November ( fully booked until then!) to have the crazed lacquer roof done and wheels refurbished. £400.00 for the roof and £320.00 for the wheels.I was waiting until the MOT to commit but passed again so investing in it now.

• Like 2

I'm staggeringly upset that I can't be covering my 12 - 15k miles a year during this covid terrible time

My car with 231k miles must surely be worth at least £1500 :yahoo:

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I'm staggeringly upset that I can't be covering my 12 - 15k miles a year during this covid terrible time

My car with 231k miles must surely be worth at least £1500 :yahoo:

Malc

And that is just for parts!

• Like 1

I think the LS represents such a significant step forwards that it has every right to be considered as a 'proper' classic and command a decent price. I've used mine today and still marvel about what it does, and how it does it.

I didn't pay a lot for mine, but it was a case of being in the right place at the right time and the price agreed was one which will allow me to fund future works and try to keep it on the road for a few more years.

As I reported on here when I got mine, the issue is that some insurers don't see the early LS's status in the same way. FJ only seemed to accept it on my classic policy as I already had five cars insured with them, if I'd have gone to them as a new customer then they'd have turned me away.

• Like 1

I’m also insured with FJ and have been for around 5 years since the car became 20 years old. I heard that they weren’t doing classic insurance anymore but renewed mine in January. I could be just new customers.

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I think the LS represents such a significant step forwards that it has every right to be considered as a 'proper' classic and command a decent price. I've used mine today and still marvel about what it does, and how it does it.

I totally endorse this statement! Yes it may not have all the bells and whistles and fancy gadgets but it performs the main functions of a great car. Timeless looks, superb engineering, comfort, zap, reliability PLUS it brings a big smile to your face every time you drive it!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

As I reported on here when I got mine, the issue is that some insurers don't see the early LS's status in the same way. FJ only seemed to accept it on my classic policy as I already had five cars insured with them, if I'd have gone to them as a new customer then they'd have turned me away.

19 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I’m also insured with FJ and have been for around 5 years since the car became 20 years old. I heard that they weren’t doing classic insurance anymore but renewed mine in January. I could be just new customers.

My Saab convertible was with Footman James but I had absolutely no luck with them for the LS, GS or a Soarer I was considering.

On 10/19/2020 at 1:49 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

I didn't pay a lot for mine, but it was a case of being in the right place at the right time and the price agreed was one which will allow me to fund future works and try to keep it on the road for a few more years.

Hi.

Just to let you know that we have a number of classic car schemes that can cater for this type of vehicle.

Regards,

Dan.

On 10/21/2020 at 9:49 AM, Greer said:

That car is in US, as far as I know they dont have the restrictions we do now, with this pandemic everything has become limited including where we can freely go in Europe.

I have no idea what effect these "restrictions" would have on the price of a car, especially a 25+ year old car.
Whoever buys that is not going to drive it much. It'll sit in a collection getting polished every week and doing 200 miles per year.

The LS's are pricier in the US in general due to it being seen as a luxury brand and they return 25mpg which is considered normal mpg over there.
Here they are generally seen as less desirable than the German brands and a bit of a fuel guzzler.

I paid £4400 ($6200 at the time) for my LS430 in Jan 2018 and a week later a similar one went for $11,000 on the US forum.
Even today, good condition ones are fetching at least 50% more over there than here.

Likewise, I was doing 300+ miles per week pre-Covid and it got washed at my local hand carwash every other week or so.
However, I didn't pay £20,000 for a perfectly restored 25 year old car. I paid £4400 for a good condition reasonable mileage car and I assume you did the same.
Would you pay £20,000 for that car? My point is that the person who would is almost certainly a collector and that one will therefore be a garage queen.