Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone had the TPMS disable on their car (pre 2012 models).

I am told that using Techsmith, or Lexus software, the TPMS codes can be manually set to 0 on any sensor and this disables it. I have access to Techsmith but I'm told you need the correct Mini-VCI to be able to write coding to the ecu.

I want to do this because my garage fitted a new sensor last year and it has never worked (always showed low tire pressure) and now they are saying that none of my sensors are registering on their software.

Too much of a PITA so just want to disable TPMS completely.

Never heard of it being done, but if can be put in, must be able to be removed 🤔 could easily work out more expensive than changing the sensors though i guess,  especially if knacker up any car coding 😬

However is that not an mot failure for post 2007 cars? I thought, could easily be wrong, that if the car has tpms then it has to work to pass.... mine passes with a duff sensor but only as she old (2006)

The sensors in the pressured box trick posted on here a few times could be a solution though, albeit still need working sensors 🙄

It's post 2012 cars that had to have the sensors and post 2014 that will fail an MOT if they are disabled or don't work.

I've been told that you can code new sensors into the ecu using Techsmith, and that it's possible to put in a zero code safely enough - but I don't know anyone who has done it so don't know if the zero code actually works.

What is the pressured box trick you referred to??

• Thanks 1

If you look on here for my eventual remedy to knackered TPMS I replaced three non working sensors very economically. £30 each from a place in Scotland plus my regular garage fitted and coded them.  I'll look for the post and get back to you. Possibly about June/July this year.

Who said  "old age wasn't for sissies"   Page 6  July 10th was my "Finale" on TPMS.  Hope this helps.  I must have been on every GS300 site round the world and nobody came up with a Disable solution for this car. Loads of other makes and Lexus models but not this one. 

Recently I had my tyres replaced and at the same time I removed all Tpms sensors, despite all functioning.  I could not find batteries witth terminals connected to them so I could replace the existing ones who were about to die.

Having tried a few pressurised box ideas, I ended up getting a very small tubeless moped bike tyre, about 10 inch diameter and put them there. All sensors were connected to a 3v alkaline Battery and the tyre was inflated to 3 bar. The low air pressure light went out!

In my car's manual, it says that if the tpms monitors are removed or seize functioning, after some time, the system will be self disabled. If the tpms monitors are re energised, the system will self enable itself.

I had the car running for more than one month without the tpms monitors and the annoying light never went out.

Chris.

Colin Guinea of Carparts Warehouse in Ayr?  enquiries@carpartsstore.co.uk    07790 015 888    Parts were delivered next day with instruction sheet and excellent service throughout.  I've no connection with this company (this is the first time I've used them)  but have no hesitation to use them again. 

• 2 months later...

I bought 4 sensors from Coiln and my GS300 is going to my local garrage tomorrow for installation and re-coding. I will update when done.

Fed-up with the light s on the dash!

Just picked up Lexi...£95 + VAT ( £114 ) poorer and the TPMS light is now out!

£60 to remove and refit tyres and £35.00 to erase and programme the sensors.

Am a happy man....

11 minutes ago, J88TEO said:

Am a happy man....

Good news, now avoid the Diesel pump !

2 hours ago, J88TEO said:

Am a happy man....

Nice result Joe nice to know about the source for the  tyre sensors i would think at lexus the bill would be knocking on door of 500 notes for all 4

well done mate

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced my TPMS back in November.  I had a local tyre shop remove the old OEM ones.  I photographed the serial numbers and emailed them to TMPS Warehouse.  They quickly posted me 4 new ones, cloned to match the OEM ones.  Once fitted, the error lights went away.  Cost just over £182 for 4, delivered.  (I have a picture of the new ones in my gallery)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Alistair, very useful, I shall do the same as my Lexus dealer wants £144 to diagnose then c.£100 per required and fitted sensor, and £72 to recalibrate the system.

I’m told today by my local test centre that, if fitted with TPMS, a pre-2012 car will pass its MoT inspection with NO related advisory, despite the TPMS warning light being on. 

On 2/4/2021 at 12:59 PM, twolexii said:

Thank you Alistair, very useful, I shall do the same as my Lexus dealer wants £144 to diagnose then c.£100 per required and fitted sensor, and £72 to recalibrate the system.

I’m told today by my local test centre that, if fitted with TPMS, a pre-2012 car will pass its MoT inspection with NO related advisory, despite the TPMS warning light being on. 

Yes you are correct.

My 2005 GS300 passed its MOT with the warning light on.

I am not going to pay the money Lexus wants for fitting new units, and when I recently had one fitted by a local tyre centre for £65 it want not calibrate. Now they are saying none of them are readable by the ECU - so not going to waste money - the car (despite its immaculate low mileage condition is worth less than £3000 and to spend £500 plus on tyre sensors needs a big swallow.

• 3 months later...

Here is the weirdest thing.

As I originally posted, after having a sensor replaced the low pressure warning was on all the time.

I took it back and they checked and said that none of the sensors were reading - and I have lived with the warning for a good 18 months since.

Today I took the car in to a different tyre place and they used a basic hand held reader which did not see any of the sensors. So the mechanic put the computer on the car and connected to the ECU which showed 2 sensors were reading and 2 were not. He suggested taking the tyres off to check the batteries, so I made an appointment to return for him to do that.

Here's the weird thing, as I drove off, the warning was gone and after a day of restarting the car the warning is still gone.

So either something happened to disable the TPMS warning on the ECU, or the problem was cured - heaven knows how though.

So now I'm a happy chappie.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 2:03 PM, Pewe said:

Has anyone had the TPMS disable on their car (pre 2012 models).

I am told that using Techsmith, or Lexus software, the TPMS codes can be manually set to 0 on any sensor and this disables it. I have access to Techsmith but I'm told you need the correct Mini-VCI to be able to write coding to the ecu.

I want to do this because my garage fitted a new sensor last year and it has never worked (always showed low tire pressure) and now they are saying that none of my sensors are registering on their software.

Too much of a PITA so just want to disable TPMS completely.

Why don’t you just replace all four with oem parts?

1 hour ago, Riccccccardo said:

Why don’t you just replace all four with oem parts?

I answered that question previously - cost of units vs value of the car, particularly as they do not form part of the MOT.

However, I'm glad I didn't spend the rediculously high prices for any make sensor, let alone the OEM ones, as the problem has now gone - see my answer in the last post before yours.

• 3 weeks later...

funny thing these sensors are.....couple of months ago the warning light came on and I took it back to the garage who told me they had to reprogramme the codes as the system went blank. All OK until I too it for a long drive 2 days ago. On the return journey the warning light came back on. I tired resetting it but it would not play ball....so back to the garage at some point!

Lost it's memory again?

Anyone has encountered this problem before?

Apart from that, the GS300 mk3 has been a joy to drive!

Cheers.

6 minutes ago, Malc said:

just out of interest .......... is there a rational point to modern cars being fitted with these sensors ?

Malc

To be fair the only reason for them would appear to be safety, for those that do not bother to check their tyres.