Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dilemma time

Thinking about changing my car (again) and I’ve narrowed it down to:

(i) keep my current 2019 ES Takumi, (ii) get a 21 ES Takumi with digital mirrors, (iii) get a new RX Takumi, (iv) look at the 21 MB E Class Coupe.

My head says keep the current car, my heart is torn between a new RX or an E Class Coupe. I’ve always wanted an RX though and there are some very good deals at the moment, something the MB won’t have.

Is the RX really something special?  I had an NX Takumi and that was ok but, apart from the size and the ICE capacity what makes the RX special to you LOC owners?

16 minutes ago, Habu said:

Thinking about changing my car (again) and I’ve narrowed it down to:

(i) keep my current 2019 ES Takumi, (ii) get a 21 ES Takumi with digital mirrors, (iii) get a new RX Takumi, (iv) look at the 21 MB E Class Coupe.

My head says keep the current car, my heart is torn between a new RX or an E Class Coupe. I’ve always wanted an RX though and there are some very good deals at the moment, something the MB won’t have.

Is the RX really something special?  I had an NX Takumi and that was ok but, apart from the size and the ICE capacity what makes the RX special to you LOC owners?

The RX refinement personally is on another league compared to the other vehicle in the Lexus lineup you mention

Feels much more solidly built too. 

Like the E class to Merc, the RX has always been and probably always will be one of their best vehicles

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Seems to me Peter that the dilemma is entirely of your own making.

I`ve had 4 MB`s and am fully aware of its Dealerships. Caveat Emptor.

That’s probably my main concern with buying a MB.  Will the experience be like my local Lexus centre and will the insurance on the MB be crazy due to perceived desirability and potential for jealous vandalism?

9 minutes ago, rayaans said:

The RX refinement personally is on another league compared to the other vehicle in the Lexus lineup you mention

Feels much more solidly built too. 

Like the E class to Merc, the RX has always been and probably always will be one of their best vehicles

Good to get first hand experience from a long-standing RX owner.

I have owned a 2019 Sonic Titanium RX450h since December last year. It is classed as the RX + Premium Pack, but I believe very close to Luxury trim of the past model years. What impresses me most is the ride and interior quality, and the comparative silence to all other cars I've previously driven (despite being an SUV).

I used to have an Jag XF with adaptive suspension, and in my opinion my Lexus without it is more comfortable than the Jag. I find it comfortable to drive on all road surfaces, particularly on the motorway - it eats up miles for breakfast, dinner and tea 🙂 I've not long returned from a 1000 mile trip up to central and western Scotland, and it was a joy to drive.

The interior quality is fantastic in my opinion, very well put together with high spec materials. The seats are terrifically comfortable too with heated/cooled settings, etc.

The only minor criticism I have is there is perhaps a little 'float' when driving at speed on fast, twisty A-roads (but then I just slow down a little 😉), but this may be mitigated somewhat by the adaptive suspension.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Habu said:

That’s probably my main concern with buying a MB.  Will the experience be like my local Lexus centre and will the insurance on the MB be crazy due to perceived desirability and potential for jealous vandalism?

Look in on this website and see what you can find out.

https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?find-new/10925219/posts

• Like 1

The sort of Dilemma I would be happy to have, at least as a younger man LOL!

People value, choose and decide on cars for a multitude of reasons and needs and indeed priorities can change over the years,  the latter being the reason why I settled for the RX. After having numerous cars of different kinds, I decided I needed something that was first and most importantly comfortable.  Getting in and out of my 5 series BMW meant I had to cling onto the pillar and the occasional long journey was not so comfortable.  I decided it would have to be an suv so it then came down to which one.  I have driven diesels but prefer petrol and there was developing a bias against diesels anyway so that ruled out a number of suv's.  Also, I wanted a middle to large model.  I ruled out BMW as unlike my old 5 series it has no spare wheel of any description and 'run flat tyres'  that most drivers dislike.  I read the Audi Q5 was prone to a number of problems as was the VW Touareg. There was a MB suv coupe I liked but was put off by reading RHD models were adversely affected by the different front transmission causing 'crabbing' also a problem with some 4 door suv's. Jaguar also have their problems. Range rover are well known to have problems. I like 6 cylinder cars and the Volvo has gone down to 4 even in their larger model.  So of premium cars it left the RX which benefitted through having electrical regeneration and assist, a good reputation, adequate acceleration and above all else is comfortable. I prefer the 3rd Gen for looks and size although the 4th Gen is nicer inside and more refined.  If I do change it will be most probably for an all electric one when these and the infrastructure are better developed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As a RX owner, I absolutely love it. But may be the initial question is not correct, trying to compare  2 models , one of them being a sort of flagship and the other one (ES) not: the right dilemma should be between a RX and a LS, and  the choice is matter of  SUV or  not. Actually it would be quite a dilemma to me too.

At the end , I purchased a RX because I never had a SUV and wanted to try what does it mean, a better resale value, road conditions progressively worsening, and needing sometimes  trunk space; nonetheless I remember my 1st Lexus GS450h and former GS300h, not with regrets but quite a wonderful cars.

• Like 1

Thanks Zotto.  I had a GS300h F Sport and it was superb.  Fit and finish plus quality of materials was way in front of any other Lexus I’ve owned including my current ES Takumi and previous NX Takumi.  Overall, the most accomplished to date is my current ES.  Packed full of tech, auto everything, amazing seats and 60+ MPG plus it’s super quiet but I’ve been hankering after an RX for a long time despite it feeling more old fashioned inside than the ES.  Plus, there’s one matching my spec that’s on a boat having left Japan just a few days ago.  

I’ve just been sat in a new RX to see what I think and I’d forgotten just how flipping huge it is both inside and outside.  It’s like a main battle tank.  You could definitely tell / feel it was an RX due to the squishy seats and materials. 

Another consideration is what might be in the offing before long, although looked at from American viewpoint here in these videos.  The RX has basically an old and heavy chassis that is suggested will be replaced by a lighter and better platform, as well as other changes in 2023.  Some potential RX buyers may be tempted to opt for the revised and much improved NX 2022 model coming out in 2021 in the interim.

Some interesting thoughts from the guy in these videos.

• Like 2

Well, I had a good look at the MY21 Mercedes E Class Coupe today.  It’s a stunning car and inside it is absolutely beautiful with amazing tech albeit without ventilated sears.🤔 The finish looks very good too but...all things considered...I’m going to go with a brand new RX Takumi.🙂

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Habu said:

Well, I had a good look at the MY21 Mercedes E Class Coupe today.  It’s a stunning car and inside it is absolutely beautiful with amazing tech albeit without ventilated sears.🤔 The finish looks very good too but...all things considered...I’m going to go with a brand new RX Takumi.🙂

Wise decision Peter. 5 doors instead of 2/3 ?

If I can drop my 2p. You have an ES, and are thinking about going with a Coupé or SUV. That's a very wide spectrum of body styles. For past 17 years I've been driving saloon cars (with 2 exceptions, my first car being Polish Fiat 126p and one of my first cars in UK being Mazda 5) and now because we're a family of 4 I've decided we need a bigger car. We went gor 3RX. It wasn't love from first sight, coming from 3GS450h, 2GS300 and face lifted LS430, I didn't like the handling, the ride wasn't as refined as on even GS (not to mention LS) but it grew on me, and I love it. I don't think I will ever go back to anything smaller. But can you please explain why on one end of spectrum there's a Mid/full-size SUV in the likes of 4RX, and on the other there's an E class Coupé? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BartLexusFan said:

If I can drop my 2p. You have an ES, and are thinking about going with a Coupé or SUV. That's a very wide spectrum of body styles. For past 17 years I've been driving saloon cars (with 2 exceptions, my first car being Polish Fiat 126p and one of my first cars in UK being Mazda 5) and now because we're a family of 4 I've decided we need a bigger car. We went gor 3RX. It wasn't love from first sight, coming from 3GS450h, 2GS300 and face lifted LS430, I didn't like the handling, the ride wasn't as refined as on even GS (not to mention LS) but it grew on me, and I love it. I don't think I will ever go back to anything smaller. But can you please explain why on one end of spectrum there's a Mid/full-size SUV in the likes of 4RX, and on the other there's an E class Coupé? 

I love driving cars and I happily go from coupe to SUV to saloon and back again.  There’s no particular reason other than I always grab an opportunity to drive something different.   My most recent cars have been Civic Type R FN2, very modded Toyota GT86, 3 Prius (don’t ask), CT, IS, GS (so refined), Kia Sportage, NX, ES and now just about an RX.  Next time? Coupe likely.

Well, the car is already at Portbury but there’s a delay of several weeks for NX and RX deliveries to the Lexus Centres as these models are being moved to another storage depot, apparently.  I’m looking at 3-4 more weeks before the car arrives at my local centre.  Not impressed as the car is sat in the depot and not being released.

8 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Does the World not obey you either Peter ?

You’ve lost me with that comment. Your comment comes across as rude and unnecessary.
I was stating that the car is stuck at Portbury for a few weeks whilst they possibly move the RX and NX models to another storage location.  Fair enough if they are cars for storage to replenish showroom models or to shorten factory order times by offering a model in stock but there are cars awaiting delivery but nothing is moving now for a few weeks.  Lexus Link is advising the car is on route to the centre from Portbury but that’s not the case.

Peter, if you have found it rude and unneccessary tw`as not intended to be.

Events do not always turn out for me either. We all have to be patient.

You come across to me as intolerant, but I`m sure you never intended to convey that message.