Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 on eBay - looks nice

Not bad generally but past MOTs a bit iffy considering a FTSH regarding worn out tyres and brake pads. Also failed once on major corrosion which is fine if it was repaired correctly.

Oil warning light on is worrying!

Radio not working is unusual but could be a fuse or the back lighting fault which is an easy fix

Open to offers but nearer to £1200.00 than £1500.00.

I hadn't looked at the MOT history, usually it's the first thing I do, and does look a bit iffy. Advisories for last MOT don't bode well, maybe not such a good price then..............

Just now, rich1068 said:

Tell me more! While I wait to see what @TigerFish comes up with :wink:

The back lighting issues on the series III (non of the buttons illuminate) are very common and generally caused by dry solder joints on a couple of surface mount resistors on the tape deck PCB.

I have successfully repaired quite a few of these in the past for LOC members.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve2006 said:

I have successfully repaired quite a few of these in the past for LOC members.

Very interesting steve2006wholivesjustdowntheroundfromme :biggrin:

Sorry, derailing thread but it happened yesterday and again today. I read up and didn't like what I saw. Me and soldering. Oh no, no.

There are good and bads here:

Goods:

• Lowish mileage
  • Bodywork is good and original - small scuff on rear bumper
  • interior is good also
  • sellers dad bought it new and then passed to seller upon his death

Bads:

• 18 stamps in the book from 1995 - 2012
  • last dealer service in 2012 @98k miles
  • cambelt needs changing soon - it was done in 2011 @96k miles

Apparently there are no lights in the dash now following alternator change

Brakes pipes have been fixed by removing and applying some sort of grease.

It is a good genuine car by the sounds of it but I would check chassis and running gear prior to purchase

It's an early M reg Mk3

I would be wanting to check out it's MOT stuff all those years back about " serious corrosion "

She looks good on  the surface, as most ls400s often do, masking some of the potential crap going on underside ( rust )

Malc

22 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

There are good and bads here:

Goods:

• Lowish mileage
  • Bodywork is good and original - small scuff on rear bumper
  • interior is good also
  • sellers dad bought it new and then passed to seller upon his death

Bads:

• 18 stamps in the book from 1995 - 2012
  • last dealer service in 2012 @98k miles
  • cambelt needs changing soon - it was done in 2011 @96k miles

Apparently there are no lights in the dash now following alternator change

Brakes pipes have been fixed by removing and applying some sort of grease.

It is a good genuine car by the sounds of it but I would check chassis and running gear prior to purchase

It has had one oil change after 2012

and throttle body has been cleaned due to stalling problem

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I would be wanting to check out it's MOT stuff all those years back about " serious corrosion "

It depends where it is of course but I’d hazard a guess at the bottom of the rear arches and maybe the rear subframe🤔 it is repairable though if not too bad. I’ve recently bought an IS200 otherwise I may have had a punt on it. The timing belt and water pump would cost £500 (that’s what it cost me at Lexus last year) plus anything else that would need doing on the running gear and the cost starts to mount if you can’t do stuff yourself.

As a side note I got a quote from Lexus to replace the timing belt and water pump on the IS200 I bought as it needs doing, £660 plus another £160 for the tensioner and pulley. I expected £500 ish so I’ve ordered the bits from Amayama and will do it myself. Water pump, tensioner, idler, camshaft bolt kit, front and rear arb bushes as well from Amayama and the timing belt from Lexus. All in £400 I reckon.

1 hour ago, Razor61 said:

As a side note I got a quote from Lexus to replace the timing belt and water pump on the IS200 I bought as it needs doing, £660 plus another £160 for the tensioner and pulley.

They didn't want to do it.

There is what appears to be a slightly odd mind set with main dealers. My '02 IS which has full dealer history and low mileage, can't do enough. The '02 GS with at best patchy history and double the mileage, it's a scrapper, get rid while you can.