Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

smart repair door edge chip looking at 3rd attempt

I`ve recently had a 5mm door edge chip done on the Lexus smart repair insurance (2019 Lexus N300H sonic white) wind caught the door and nudged it into bay window. The first repair was visually perfect a really good job but after 21/2wks the point on the edge were the new paint meets the old, what looked like rust marks (brown stains) appeared in the paint then it bubbled and split on te seem so was breached.  Contacted the smart repair company and sent picture they then arranged to send someone to fix, so the area manager turns up to sort all looks like will be sorted, did say they weren't robots and they worked on looking at a glance principle which yeah you can find faults the deeper you delve on any paint/repair. so all looked fine when he finished he showed me, put his phone light on it  from one door to other looked fine we are also under his canopy, The problem now appears in dimmer light there's a glow from the repaired area that makes the area jump out and at a glance I can see the clear cote line looks like a scratch on the bend in the door. The paint is also a tad shade out which doesn't help dilemma is do i go for a third attempt with them, i showed photos to another company who picked it up and told me they should of advised that they would need to paint into other door panel as they told me any single edge repair is always visible when not taken into panel next to it. So my worry is am i going down the rabbit hole of quality of job reducing each time its done. its a shame the first attempt failed as was top job. Any one any experience of more than attempt on a smart repair done by smart insurance. 

I had a stone chip on the bonnet of my Sonic Red RC300h (2016) it was down to the base coat. I approached my dealer on options to repair (I didn't have smart repair insurance)

I was advised any touch-in type repair would stick out "like a sore thumb" and the only solution was a complete bonnet respray, at £1200 !!!

I wore that stone chip as a badge of honour for the duration of my ownership. I didn't collect any further chips and the one chip remained clean white for 3yrs

• Like 1

Smart Repairs are good but never perfect.Very dependant on the Skill level of the individual.

In 3 instances I have had the repair resolved by a Bodyshop & used the £200 contribution they offer claiming on insurance if necessary.

Edges always require Bodyshop to resolve, therefore use this route.

Fit door edge trim may be another option .?

Tel