Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rusty suspension bits

adamhearn

Hi all,

Got a CT200h a couple of weeks back and am a little concerned that the suspension is a tad more rusty than I'd have expected for a 9 year old car. Is this somewhat normal for a CT200h , from 2011? Anyone repaired there's in the areas shows (trailing arms, anti roll bar, drop links, etc.) due to rust rather than worn bushings?

Advice/thoughts please. Thanks in advance!

20201023_122940995_iOS.jpg

20201023_123047044_iOS.jpg

20201023_123101141_iOS.jpg

20201023_123326634_iOS.jpg

20201023_124101435_iOS.jpg

• Sad 1

I can't offer any advice I'm afraid. All I can say is, Lexus Bolton, who service my car, send me a video of the pre-inspection when I take it for service/MOT and they film the underside of the car, so I would be able to see any corrosion. Mine's a January 2013 reg, a bit, but not a great deal younger than yours.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

Has your car lived by the sea or a car from Scotland with lots of road salt?

James.

Looking at the last address I wouldn't say so but the owner could have worked closer to the sea I guess?

9 hours ago, stormchaser said:

Mines a 2011 and it has no rust at all underneath.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

OK, thanks.

43 minutes ago, PCM said:

Buy from a dealer - does it match the description...?

Not sure how that helps; I was asking if it was "normal" for this to happen to a 2011 CT200h.

I have rusty bits on my 2012 GS as well, was wondering if it is normal or because I live in Scotland. I was even thinking if I need to clean and seal the whole underbody and was looking online videos and even companies who do that. I had an MOT couple of weeks ago at Lexus Glasgow and they never mentioned any issues regards body or suspension rust.

If you can do it yourself use a wire brush or/and a grinder with grinding disk and remove as much rust as you can. Then use a rust converter and then seal it all with Dinitrol/waxoil or equivalent and re-apply every 2-3 years.

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks the same or even a little worse than our 2011 CT. We bought that from a main dealer (so I didn't look underneath!) 4 years a go and until this year it was serviced by Lexus and they didn't mention it once or the rusty fuel pipe. The service videos never really captured the suspension.

I also have a 20 year old MX5 and a 17 year old Accord. They are both rusty underneath a bit more than the CT but at that age it's too be expected. For a 9 year old car I wasn't expecting this level of rust. The previous owner lived in Stoke so it wasn't by the sea.

I ran out of good weather to sort it this year so it's a job for the spring but I have already bought Bilt Hamber products to protect it with once I've cleaned all of the parts. Their products are very good so have a look at them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi guys.I intend to buy a lexus ct200h imported from japan and when i check underneath i saw it has some rust.Can u tell me what piece is this? This rusted pipe it's beside rear bumper.Can it be fixed? Thank u

20230816_110354.jpg

11 minutes ago, roman_2023 said:

Hi guys.I intend to buy a lexus ct200h imported from japan and when i check underneath i saw it has some rust.Can u tell me what piece is this? This rusted pipe it's beside rear bumper.Can it be fixed? Thank u

20230816_110354.jpg

I believe it is a Yamaha Performance Damper   More details in the link,  and Lexus parts dept should be able to source the correct items.

• Like 1

Thank u Hillie...i think that s it, it so rusted but if it is not so important i will leave it like this.I checked 3 model ct200 2014-2015 all with rust.This seem has less rust...what do u think it worth buying? I attach the photos from underneath.

20230816_110342.jpg

20230816_110413.jpg

20230816_110546.jpg

20230816_150448.jpg

20230816_150610.jpg

20230816_150445.jpg

7 hours ago, roman_2023 said:

Thank u Hillie...i think that s it, it so rusted but if it is not so important i will leave it like this.I checked 3 model ct200 2014-2015 all with rust.This seem has less rust...what do u think it worth buying? I attach the photos from underneath.

Roman

The performance damper is minor and there are plenty of references are made in other forums to running the vehicle without one. There is also evidence that on some vehicles such as the NX these are even removed to allow tow bars to be fitted and this is where my experience with the Damper comes in. The underside rust looks like surface rust but I would recommend a 3rd party inspection by a trained mechanic to verify this and not lead to near term MOT failures and expensive repairs and especially if this is being bought from a private seller.   I am not a CT owner and there is no reference to the age of the car and mileage so I have no frame of reference to provide advice on to buy or not. Other CT owners here could probably offer more advice on the rust question versus the age and mileage of the vehicle.   As a minimum use an online tool such as  Car Vertical  to verify the car history since it has been in this country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To me it looks 'ok', not amazing, but 'ok'.

If I bought it I would certainly give it a good wash, brush and then treat it with something like LanoGuard or similar... underneath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Prevention is always the preferred option for me, so mine will be going in Sept/Oct for cleaning off and then treating underneath, cavities, behind arch liners etc with LanoGuard, quoted around £160. I didn't think at that price it was worth DIYing without a ramp.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 11/2/2023 at 11:17 AM, UX250h said:

Who quoted you £160? 

Had it done last week @Enfield Detail and Wrap near me in Alvechurch, Lanoguard clear

couple before and after pics

lamo 1.jpg

laano2.jpg

lano3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As posted in my CT Renovation project. this car will remain in our household for the long term, so will be maintained to a high standard. Having the Lanoguard treatment will probably be topped up every 3 years, regardless  of mileage.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links