Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

HYBRID CARS Brake Caliper Sieze - Pins - Use

I had my caliper pins "serviced" as one of the rear brake discs was rusty and obviously not working. 

Colin Barber, recommended applying the brakes harshly, every few weeks, to make sure they stayed free.

He also reminded us all of a post by another member who had not replaced their brake pads for a considerable mileage on their hybrid Lexus.

Have owners of hybrids on here regularly checked their own brake discs for rust (a good indicator of a sticking caliper)?

I had reason to brake quite sharply yesterday and the braking sounded very "grindy" / rough. I did not wish to replicate the sensation as I had the dog in the back but will endeavor to go out today and see how the brakes respond. I bring this up as I am LED to believe that the caliper pins are not part of a Lexus service item.

Out of interest has anyone else with an older hybrid Lexus had issues when braking sharply. 

If you tend to drive like Miss Daisy (no offence, as that is my driving style) you will hardly engage the mechanical brakes.

Just wondered what other hybrid owners have experienced with their brakes or braking in general?

Edited by Spacewagon52
spelling

2 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Have owners of hybrids on here regularly checked their own brake discs for rust (a good indicator of a sticking caliper)?

Although a sticking caliper can cause disc rust with hybrids the discs will rust anyway if the car is driven gently. Braking in neutral on a downhill stretch of road once or twice a month will help keep the discs clear of rust.
In neutral the regen braking is cancelled forcing the use of the mechanical brakes.
Sticking caliper pins tends to cause rust on one side of the discs. A sticking caliper piston will cause rust on both sides of the disc where single piston calipers are used. Where multiple piston calipers are used one sticking piston will cause rust on the same side of the disc as the sticking piston.

John.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

Although a sticking caliper can cause disc rust with hybrids the discs will rust anyway if the car is driven gently. Braking in neutral on a downhill stretch of road once or twice a month will help keep the discs clear of rust.
In neutral the regen braking is cancelled forcing the use of the mechanical brakes.
Sticking caliper pins tends to cause rust on one side of the discs. A sticking caliper piston will cause rust on both sides of the disc where single piston calipers are used. Where multiple piston calipers are used one sticking piston will cause rust on the same side of the disc as the sticking piston.

John.

Useful info - - - thank you John 👍

When I had a Prius as a taxi, I used to take the brakes apart annually, and never had a problem after the first seizure. Other drivers that used to use hand car washes seemed to have problems as the chemicals and regular blasting of the power hosing took their toll.

Don't do it now on my Lexus, as I fear that it may invalidate the warranty. If there's a problem they seem to be covered according to previous reports. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Possibly once a week will be enough (?)

Once a week should be plenty. The first time you do this you may have to repeat the operation several times to remove a build up of rust, but once cleaned an occasional operation should be enough.

John.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Britprius said:

Once a week should be plenty. The first time you do this you may have to repeat the operation several times to remove a build up of rust, but once cleaned an occasional operation should be enough.

John.  

Thanks John, this is what Colin Barber suggests as well.

Hybrid owners might want to take note.

• Like 1

Hi David, read in this thread more about brakes issues, this thread is more recent one

I tend to disassemble, clean and re-grease my brakes twice a year and even then my rear brakes are rusty (this was also picked on my last MOT), I do not drive much just now and haven't had any harsh braking done in a few months so I tend to clean pins and slides and pads more often manually, it is doesn't take much time and pretty straight forward. 

Saying that I also noted what @Britprius said above - put in neutral and brake harshly to clean the brakes, will be doing that more often! Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links