Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Happy 25th Birthday today !

Congratulations Malc.

When I bought mine back in 2006 I had a 1995 Rover 820 with a white and rust colour combination despite a good wash and wax cleaning regime. When I was considering the Celsior I thought why am I thinking of a car older than the one I have, I should be looking at a newer model but price was key at the time. I also never thought I would have the same car 14 years later .....cars are generally uneconomical to run before that age and return to their original iron oxide state.

Unlike the UK Japanese cars use the manufacturing date as their “birth” date which in my case was 01/01/1994. The DVLA have the car as being “Registered” as December 1994 but it is an “L” registration ( Sept 93 to Sept 94). It’s not just Her Majesty who has two birthdays 😀

• Like 1

Yes, congratulations Malc. And car.

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Unlike the UK Japanese cars use the manufacturing date as their “birth” date which in my case was 01/01/1994. The DVLA have the car as being “Registered” as December 1994 but it is an “L” registration ( Sept 93 to Sept 94). It’s not just Her Majesty who has two birthdays 😀

Unfortunately already missed the 25th of mine, build date of July '95. But not registered until January '96 so we still get to party I suppose.

4 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

what would you try and replace it with?

well, I'm age 70 now so maybe she will last me till I give up driving or find I need an all hydrogen fuel powered new one that's going to be with us all in about 5 years time 

Toyota of course ......  or maybe Lexus by then:wink3:

OR might she just last 25 years !

Malc

• Like 4

Happy Birthday to your LS400.

My 1996 Volvo 940 Automatic, had it's first breakdown on Friday, in the 4 years I have owned it. Found the cause today! Voltage to fuel pump ok. Gave the fuel pump housing a few bumps with hammer and stick and fired straight into life.

Ordered a new Bosch fuel pump and also going to replace crank sensor, ignition module and fuel injection relay. £150 in parts Have MOT on Wednesday or Now likely Thursday. Hope the parts arrive quickly!

Not as many miles as your LS at 205,000. My car was a bargain buy at £250.

James.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

My car was a bargain buy

so was mine at £1400  9.5 yrs ago with 123k miles and Full Lexus Service History :thumbsup:

Malc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malc said:

so was mine at £1400  9.5 yrs ago with 123k miles and Full Lexus Service History :thumbsup:

Malc

Let's be honest, if you bought a car that was 15 years old with 123,000 miles on the clock, would you really be expecting to be still running that car in 10 years time?

I know there are many examples like Malc's but his story is testament to what fantastic cars the LS400's are AND very under priced!

• Like 5

Another 4+ years before mine gets to 25, hopefully it will.

If it were to give up the ghost I am not sure whether it would be a 460 I would get, and my wife thinks it would be mad to upsize to 4.6 litre from a 4 litre.  

Even now I cannot get over how lovely a 21 year old car is to drive, so quiet and comfortable (apart from the odd rattle - that needs sorting)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Even now I cannot get over how lovely a 21 year old car is to drive, so quiet and comfortable (apart from the odd rattle - that needs sorting)

It still amazes me whenever I drive it. I have considered selling but every time I take her out I realise I can't bring myself to do it! 

The only "fault" I have is the wheels need refurbishing!

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

It still amazes me whenever I drive it. I have considered selling but every time I take her out I realise I can't bring myself to do it! 

Better the devil you know

Out of the frying pan into the fire

The grass is always greener

If it aint broke..etc, etc,etc

Just what HAS life taught you Davey ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Ah yes, mine too BUT they have needed doing for about 3 years and every time I think about having them done something tells me not to spend @ £300 on summat that doesn't improve the handling or drive of the car !

And having had the " write-off " to N category last year, it could have been so much worse, and sadly refurbished wheels wouldn't make one jot of difference to the insce payout ( I guess )

Malc

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Let's be honest, if you bought a car that was 15 years old with 123,000 miles on the clock, would you really be expecting to be still running that car in 10 years time?

I know there are many examples like Malc's but his story is testament to what fantastic cars the LS400's are AND very under priced!

Modern cars have too much electronics to fail and hard to service by the DIY owner. Very tight engine bays.

It will be the electrics that will kill off the modern car or manufacturers make a component hard to get to, so many pounds labour involved. Also if the fault code reader says no fault, stumped.

Today I fitted my new in tank fuel pump on my 940. Fiddly job as all hose clamps seized, but all fixed by me. Great having an older car as someone has been there and done the job before. I had a nice guide to follow.

Never seen an LS400 in the flesh. Quite fancy one, but insurance costs are high. Looked into insuring an RX400H and that was £750 for me. One day I'd like to try a 400H or GS450 or an LS430!

James👍

• Like 3

23 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Just what HAS life taught you Davey ?

John you are a so and so!

You have just opened up a big can of worms!

I think you can learn something new each day, no matter what age you are.

You are a product of your upbringing, the people you meet and those that influence you.

You are also affected by your first-hand experience and this can change or confirm your viewpoint or opinion.

Very recently I have come to the conclusion that you can't persuade someone do something they don't want to do.You may give advice, with all the best intentions, but sometimes people have to find out the hard way by actually experiencing something for themselves. That experience will either change their mind or just confirm their position.

I try to follow Desirderata

There is nowt as funny as folk!

I consider being able to drive a privilege and not a right.

I try to drive with consideration for my passengers and other road users AND to my car.

I feel guilt and get cross with myself if I break the speed limit or make a silly mistake.

I try not drive too close to the car in front (a common observation).

I try not to drive too fast or too slow for the prevailing road conditions.

I am aware that my actions can affect other people.

Life IS a one-way ticket, and it is always accelerating.

I try to keep healthy both physically and mentally.  The list can go but I try not to be boring!

7 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

by actually experiencing something for themselves. That experience will either change their mind or just confirm their position.

totally concur .........  that's why I've been driving a Ls400 consistently as my main car for some 20 years now :wink3:

Malc

22 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

Modern cars have too much electronics to fail and hard to service by the DIY owner. Very tight engine bays.

It will be the electrics that will kill off the modern car or manufacturers make a component hard to get to, so many pounds labour involved. Also if the fault code reader says no fault, stumped.

Today I fitted my new in tank fuel pump on my 940. Fiddly job as all hose clamps seized, but all fixed by me. Great having an older car as someone has been there and done the job before. I had a nice guide to follow.

Never seen an LS400 in the flesh. Quite fancy one, but insurance costs are high. Looked into insuring an RX400H and that was £750 for me. One day I'd like to try a 400H or GS450 or an LS430!

James👍

Hi.

If you ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

1 hour ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If you ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

You guys are useless, Brentacre are better. 

• Haha 2