Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should I buy an RC 300h (around 2016/17 ish year)?

Hello lovely people!

I'm considering either a 2 series or Lexus RC 300h.  Just wanted to know what people's experiences were with a used 2016 RCH?

I have only ever owned Japanese cars and was told to stay away from BMW's as they're not reliable as Japanese....I've NEVER had any bother with all the Jap cars I've bought. 

Is RC 300h reliable?  Also, tyres seem expensive for the f sport model and I heard someone at local garage saying they chew through tyres a lot...would I have to get new tyres every year with only few thousand miles wear on them?

Any other concerns re RC300h I should keep in mind?  Have to say, it's a cracking looking car but it's being discontinued?! - would this dent its future resale value?

Thank you all

It really depend on what you looking for... maybe you can summarise why you considering RC300h? is it just for looks?

As well strange options - BMW 2-Series would be much cheaper, I would imagine comparison would be much more between BMW 4-series and Lexus RC.

As far as reliability goes, RC300h will be at least as reliable as IS300h and that one is extremely reliable, so don't worry about reliability. Although, I would still expect to look at full service history and condition of the car being decent (even the best car could be just poorly maintained).

The concern about tyres is completely unwarranted and local garage definitely have no clue... (and cannot have a clue). Just to give you an idea - there are less Lexus RCs then there are BMW i8s! So any garage claiming to know tyre wear patterns on these cars are simply lying.

Are the tyres expensive - yes they are as expensive as any 19" tyres on any car... so I guess the answer is no, they cost close to average. As well tyre price would not be much different on different models, the entry level "luxury" model came with 18" and F-Sport/Premier had 19", difference between tyre set is like ~£25. Maybe confusion is with RC-F, not RC300h F-Sport?

• Like 1

Tyres on my RC300h F-sport.

Had 22,000 miles on them this time last year when I changed the rear tyres, they still 3.5 / 4mm  but with winter coming thought it was wise to change them. Front tyres still has about 6mm then.

Replaced with like for like Bridgestone 265/35/19Y from the Lexus dealer at £158 per tyre.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Linas.  Basically I'm looking for a luxury coupe which is reliable.  Not too bothered about 0-60 times as long as it can overtake a slower moving bus on a/b roads.  I'm looking for luxury + reliability...I've always had Toyota's and Honda's and often laugh at my friends and relatives who have luxury German cars which don't seem that reliable.  I have my heart set on a Lexus this time although 2 series isn't half bad looking but I sat inside one (colleague at work) and seemed like little plasticy...just average interior....wasn't impressed.

I've ridden in IS300 which was a taxi and wow....it was amazing...quality interior and so luxurious and smooth ride!

The only thing about RC I'm concerned about is high maintenance costs as it's a heavier car...I just don't want to be changing all tyres/brake pads/discs etc. every year even though I only do 2 to 5 thousand miles per year (mainly city driving).

I might also consider is300h as it looks good too.

Almost 4 years ownership and only costs were 3 services and 2 rear tyres.

Service charges are about £295 for intermediate and £595 for a full service.

Did 24,000 miles in the 4 years and has no issues.

29 minutes ago, Lexie04 said:

Almost 4 years ownership and only costs were 3 services and 2 rear tyres.

Service charges are about £295 for intermediate and £595 for a full service.

Did 24,000 miles in the 4 years and has no issues.

I've looked at Servicing costs/schedule on lexus website.  Intermediate 10k miles service for £300 and 100k miles full service for £600 isn't bad at all for a luxury car from main dealer.

Any car could develop a fault but with Lexus it's way less likely.  I like the fact it's very rare...looks FAR more expensive than it is....I can pick one up for £20k atm for a 16 plate!   I'm going to test drive IS300h and RC300h.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ZomBee said:

I've looked at Servicing costs/schedule on lexus website.  Intermediate 10k miles service for £300 and 100k miles full service for £600 isn't bad at all for a luxury car from main dealer.

Any car could develop a fault but with Lexus it's way less likely.  I like the fact it's very rare...looks FAR more expensive than it is....I can pick one up for £20k atm for a 16 plate!   I'm going to test drive IS300h and RC300h.

Let us all know your thoughts after the test drives please?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ZomBee said:

Basically I'm looking for a luxury coupe which is reliable.  Not too bothered about 0-60 times as long as it can overtake a slower moving bus on a/b roads. 

Not much more to add then, you are in the right place - luxurious and reliable, but not so fast. Again 2-Series being plasticy - it is much cheaper and smaller entry level car, so not fair comparison. 

It certainly can overtake bus, but on a/b roads that will be tricky... mid-range grunt is not bad, but I never felt safe overtaking with either 300h and 200t, I simply don't feel they have enough power for their weight, sort of needs to build-up the speed, so you will need to wait for decent gap for overtaking.

Lexus are one of the cheapest car to maintain, provided you buy car which was already maintained reasonably well. You looking in ~2016 cars that shouldn't really be a problem. Get 24h test drive and maybe it will help you to decide.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys.  There's a bit of a lull at the moment with the RC's being advertised on autotrader in Scotland...I remember there were at least 3 to 4 at Edinburgh branch last year...as of today, there's only one.  May have to wait a bit....

9 hours ago, ZomBee said:

Does anyone know if Lexus have arrangements with all dealers where a Lexus branch in Scotland could request a used car from a branch in England for local viewing?

That is only usually possible if they are owned by the same franchise. I.e Motorline, Inchcape etc 

• Like 1

Even then they won't deliver the car for just test drive. Most likely they will advise you to go to another dealership in England to test drive the car and if you wanted to purchase it, then your local dealer can transfer the car for you to purchase it in Scotland.

I know it may be inconvenient, but I have travelled say from London to Derby to test-drive/purchase the cars. So I guess generally the expectation is that buyer will travel if they interested to test the car.

However, this has nothing to do with 24h test drive. Just book it, select your closest dealer and they will contact you to arrange it, obviously it will be their demo car which may not be available for sale on their website. You will have an option to buy demo car if you wanted it, but dealers will have 2019/2020 cars as demos, so sadly there is no option to test drive Pre-2018 FL cars unless they listed for sale.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would say - there is no disadvantage. No issues with service or repairs, I don't see it suddenly loosing value either unless it is nearly new car as dealers will be discounting and getting rid of the stock. If anything I feel their value will be firmer going forward, because that will mean cars are simply in limited supply. Demand isn't high either, but it it stays at least the same with no supply the depreciation should really slow down.

1 hour ago, ZomBee said:

I see RC and IS have been discontinued in UK...are there any disadvantages to buying RC now?  E.g. future repairs/servicing costs and higher insurance premium?

If you are planning to keep it then buy it now. Supply will be increasingly lower, demand will be increasingly higher and repair costs will not appear this side of the horizon. And if you take out a Lexus Extended Warranty and pay it monthly on an interest free and fixed basis you will be one really smart ar**.

Do let us all know what you do Zoms

Yeah... if you really want to find decent example you kind of need to look nationally. My advise would be to focus on what you need from the car, not where it is based... once you find what you need then you can start looking to your options actually getting it to Scotland. This is not BMW where you can expect 10 to be local to you, Lexus only sold few hundred cars nationally (1300 total)! BMW sold more 430i just in black with red interior alone 😁

• Like 1

Good examples are hard to find for £20,000. Checking the 100 for sale just now there are examples at Leeds,Hull ,Nottingham  which were on the road before 1st April 2017 and would be £20 a year road tax.  Edinburgh have a White one with 8,000 miles on the clock  with a June 17 registration thus £465 a year road tax. Would be worth a test-drive.

With only Edinburgh and Glasgow to pick from in Scotland, you will find better deals south of the border due to far more choice.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lexie04 said:

Good examples are hard to find for £20,000. Checking the 100 for sale just now there are examples at Leeds,Hull ,Nottingham  which were on the road before 1st April 2017 and would be £20 a year road tax.  Edinburgh have a White one with 8,000 miles on the clock  with a June 17 registration thus £465 a year road tax. Would be worth a test-drive.

With only Edinburgh and Glasgow to pick from in Scotland, you will find better deals south of the border due to far more choice.

We`ve been advising ZB for almost a month now Iain !

5 hours ago, Lexie04 said:

£465 a year for road tax?  You mean £165?