Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Standard or Premium petrol? That is the question ...

21 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Bring of a certain age I remember Formula Shell in the mid-1980s

I put a Formula Shell sunstrip on my mum's Suzuki SC100. It took at least 3 seconds off the 0-60 time.

Edit - I found a photo! What a Mighty Stallion of the Highway it was...

lJfIX9AQ.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beamish said:

This is from a post by Stupot in November last year:

Worth reading as if they phase out E5 Petrol and you can only get E10... Lexus say the following...

From this site https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/ACEA_E10_compatibility.pdf

Lexus: E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Lexus European petrol models made from January 1998, excluding:
• IS250 2.5 litre V6 with engine 4GR-FSE made between August 2005 and September 2007.
• GS300 3.0 litre V6 with engine 3GR-FSE made between January 2005 and September 2007.
• LS460 4.6 litre V8 with engine 1UR-FSE made between August 2006 and September 2007.

Might be of interest to some.

What about the 2.5ltr petrol engines from 2008 onwards?

So in response to the title of this thread ‘ Standard or Premium?’ Then I would say if you have ( like me) a car that is Not going to be compatible with E10 unleaded fuel then you/I should get in the habit of refuelling with premium Unleaded ( extra ££££‘s I know!) but you don’t wanna be putting in that E10 stuff that’s for sure when it gets more commonly available.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beamish said:

Anything manufactured from October 2007 onwards should be OK.

Would be nice to find out exactly which components are not compatible on the pre 2008 cars  compared with the 2008 onwards.

I have a friend who works at the Fawley Esso refinery in the New Forest.  Tankers from multiple outlets including but not exclusively supermarkets are filled there and they all get the same stuff.  The 'supermarket petrol is inferior' line is nonsense.  My car has done 163k miles on nothing but, has never had engine issues and still runs as smooth as a buttered banister. 

On 12/11/2020 at 1:05 PM, Beamish said:

This is from a post by Stupot in November last year:

Worth reading as if they phase out E5 Petrol and you can only get E10... Lexus say the following...

From this site https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/ACEA_E10_compatibility.pdf

Lexus: E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Lexus European petrol models made from January 1998, excluding:
• IS250 2.5 litre V6 with engine 4GR-FSE made between August 2005 and September 2007.
• GS300 3.0 litre V6 with engine 3GR-FSE made between January 2005 and September 2007.
• LS460 4.6 litre V8 with engine 1UR-FSE made between August 2006 and September 2007.

Might be of interest to some.

It certainly is.  My V5C states the engine number as 4GR followed by 7 numbers, but no mention of '-FSE', can anyone verify the significance of 'FSE' or know of it's relevance?

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2020 at 1:05 PM, Beamish said:

Well yes. Is there a risk in the UK that one might inadvertently fill up with E10? Is it clearly identified as such on the pump?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links