Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

jacking up and starting car

I recall reading somewhere that the engine should not be started when a LS430 is jacked up/on axle stands.  I need to do just that, is there anything I should be doing with the air bags before hand please? 

Okay, looking at the fuses there are 2/3 that it could be, and also a relay.  Sorry for my lack of understanding, but could I just pull the relay out, alternatively, is there as single fuse just for the air compressor please.  I cant find on the lists of fuses, one that just states that, but it's probably me being dumb. 

Talking about jacking up the car................

On Tuesday, I was on my way to play golf, in my 460, when I had a 'Low Tyre Pressure' warning. I pulled into a nearby car park and discovered that the drivers side rear tyre was nearly flat. Normally, I would have just sat there and called out the Dutch equivalent of the AA but, because I had a tee-time to make, I decided to change the wheel myself. 

It must be at least 25 years since I changed a wheel - and that was on a FIAT 600! My machine has 19" wheels, they are very heavy and I'm now 72 years old. It was bad enough jacking the car up, but lifting the wheel out of the boot was 'not easy'. I won't do that again!

By coincidence, I was due to take the car for its annual service (including MOT) after the golf game. I delivered the car to the Lexus dealer and they told me they'd call if there were any problems. I'm very aware of the suspension niggles on the 460 and I always ask them to give it a good check. The car has done 115,000 miles.

They did call, to tell me that I needed new rear discs and pads. I look upon that as normal servicing and, since they were the original discs, I wasn't too worried.  But that was it! The air struts, ball joints and suspension bushes are still looking great. The exhaust (remember it's not stainless) is still OK and, as a precaution, I had the radiator renewed last year. There have been reports that the front seats wear very quickly. Mine are still great - maybe my weight of 75 kg has something to do with that.

I've owned the car for 7 years and it has been as reliable as my old 400. All the electronics and electrics work as they should and it has been serviced by Lexus from new.

I am aware that I don't have to subject the car to the awful road surfaces that you have to endure. I read the problems John Savage had with the suspension on his 600 and gulped at the replacement costs.

BTW, they gave me an IS 300h as a loaner car. Nice machine but, like all the modern Lexus models, I really don't like the mouse system of selecting things on the screen. Mine, being one of the earlier 460s, has a touch screen. I find that much safer.

Or maybe I'm just an old sod  😃 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

When I got rid of my air suspension I simply removed the 40amp fuse which disables the whole system, including any warning lights.

Where abouts is that located please, if you can remember?

On 10/30/2020 at 9:30 PM, 6500RPM said:

Where abouts is that located please, if you can remember?

Apologies for not replying, it's all been a bit manic lately.  Mine being a Celsior may mean the fuse is on the opposite side to yours.  I'll take a photo of it tomorrow to show you.

• Like 1

This is the fuse box on my Celsior where the 40amp fuse is, next to a 60amp. On the inside of the cover it tells you which one is for the suspension system.  They are quite hard to get out compared to smaller fuses but they are not held in place with screws/bolts, just pressed in.  It's essential to disconnect the Battery first. 

IMG_20201103_162132106.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links