Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Every test I have had in past with previous cars I got the emissions printout.

Just realised I did not with this last one. Garage I took it to thought it was electric when I rolled up (GS450h), but surely they didn't test it as such????

Hybrid cars do not require an emissions test. The reason is that they cannot force the combustion engine to run during the test.

From the MoT tester's manual

8.2.1.2. Gaseous emissions
You must inspect vehicles with spark ignition engines first used on or after 1 August 1975.

You do not need to check:

L category vehicles
hybrid vehicles - with electric and combustion engines
hydrogen fuel cell vehicles
two-stroke engines - unless they are subject to a catalyst test

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/8-nuisance

So how do they check if the exhaust is blowing if there is no obvious visible defect, for example a gasket blow by or if an aftermarket system is excessively loud.

Also what about a defective O2 sensor, reset the ECU before the test so the light goes out, if the engine doesn’t fire up the fault won’t flag on the dash. Car passes test, drive away, engine kicks in, warning light comes back on.

They run the engine and listen look etc. If left on the engine will kick in and out whilst its on the ramp as per usual charging pattern. 

What they don't do, well shouldn't do (I've had one force it so never been back) is run engine and hold it running via the gas pedal to do emissions, if that makes sense

• 2 weeks later...

It is wise to tell the MOT tester not to leave the car in ready mode, and neutral "many testers will do this". In this condition the engine cannot start. It will continue to run until a set temperature is reached if neutral is engaged while the engine is running, but cannot start once it stops, At this point the hybrid Battery is steadily discharged, and can continue to discharge till it has insufficient power to start the engine. This is greatly accelerated if the aircon is turned on.
The only way to charge the Battery is at the dealers

On 10/31/2020 at 6:32 AM, Upex said:

They run the engine and listen look etc. If left on the engine will kick in and out whilst its on the ramp as per usual charging pattern. 

John.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links