Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clarkson wouldn't admit it!

Just watching a Grand Tour episode from a couple of years ago where JC was asking why car manufacturers can't add a "piece of material" at the side of a car seat to stop things falling down the narrow gap.  He couldn't bring himself to saying the LS430 has it, presumably because its not German, or he couldn't be bothered to check.  It is a clever little addition though, I've never lost a chip or coin down mine!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

I've lost the key fob from my trouser pocket a number of times only to find it nestling in the fabric fold twixt seat and transmission tunnel. Excellent design tweak by Lexus :thumbup:

Does that mean all models have it?  Not bad considering it was thought of 20 years ago!

• Like 1

I assume he just doesn't drive Lexus'es to know. Although, it is kind of his job to know as an "objective motor journalist"....

In fact the only grudge I have against all TG and GT over the years, is that they voted SC as worst car of the century... I still cannot agree with that!

• Like 1

I guess back in the day when they costed like £80k new, they were not terribly competitive cars. But in used market they are quite amazing value for money (sorry to late to hide it to me) 😁

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Neil E said:

No, the SC is terrible car don't buy one! They don't even have that piece of fabric between the seats and the centre armrest.😉 

I agree, having seen yours and being in it it's a terrible car.😇 No fabric to stop MacDonalds chips from disappearing? I'll covet it less now then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LexIS200Sport said:

The Merc W140 S-Class had them fabric between the seat and centre console. I'd assumed Lexus drew inspiration and added the same to the LS430.

The GS450h also has it, as is the rest of the GS range I'd imagine.

My GS  450h does not have it Ganesh.

9 hours ago, rich1068 said:

You eat in the car? :ohmy:

I have been known to eat in the car but usually in a lay-by.  It's actually quite nice with all that space and good music... followed by a short nap with the seats reclined! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The occasional dropped chip never hurt anyone. :thumbup1:

Ya can't beat a Burger King drive-through. Double Whopper  🍔, chips  🍟, onion rings and the LS to relax in whilst eating, rather than going inside and having to suffer other peoples kids,... and other people. 🤣
Now if I'd paid £70k for the LS when it was new, then maybe not, but at £4.4K it's the perfect mobile picnic table.
No, I don't have kids. If I did they would be banned from getting within 10 feet of the car with food, or greasy hands or,.....ever! 🤣

As for Clarkson, he always wanted POWER and Lexus gave comfort and reliability. They were always James May cars until they made the LFA, which Clarkson loved.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

When I bought my LS430 the front seat air con was very good.  Along with the obvious use cases it was designed for, it was handy for blowing pasty or pork pie crumbs out of the seat - yes I eat in the car 🙂

The RX450h does not have the 'chip catchers' that the 430 has.  It is pain having to dog out under the seats - it is amazing what gets down there.  No furry food though because I am good at hitting my big mouth 😀

Bren

• Haha 1

Just now, brendangeorge said:

When I bought my LS430 the front seat air con was very good.  Along with the obvious use cases it was designed for, it was handy for blowing pasty or pork pie crumbs out of the seat - yes I eat in the car 🙂

The RX450h does not have the 'chip catchers' that the 430 has.  It is pain having to dog out under the seats - it is amazing what gets down there.  No furry food though because I am good at hitting my big mouth 😀

Bren

Mislaid one`s bib then Bren ?   :):)

• 1 month later...

I dropped my keys twice (!) in the gap today, but the chip catcher saved the day. I remember thinking then, that I was so happy that Lexus has these and now I found this thread here to share my joy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lex - eleven said:

I know about the chip catcher between the seat and console but I bought these as well.

20191019_161107.jpg

I like that. I like that a lot! (whereabouts did you find them please?)

I got them on "wish". I don't know if you've heard of it. They are a chinese company. If you look on the site there'll be several selling at different prices. The only thing is the word Lexus only faces one way.

Screenshot_20210113-132504_Wish.jpg

15 minutes ago, lex - eleven said:

I got them on "wish". I don't know if you've heard of it. They are a chinese company. If you look on the site there'll be several selling at different prices. The only thing is the word Lexus only faces one way.

Screenshot_20210113-132504_Wish.jpg

Perfect - many thanks!