Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Catloc

Sorry if this has been covered before.......Have any UX250h owners considered or had a Lexus Catloc fitted. Nationwide thieves are targeting Hybrid catalytic converters removing them in less than 2 minutes. I have read on the CT forum owners are having them fitted by main dealers for around £225/£250. They come with a couple of stickers for the windows as a deterrent & if thieves know of an easier target I'm sure they would target that instead of spending time removing both the Catloc & Cat on yours. Higher ground clearance on vehicles like the UX250h make for easier access.

I've been reading about that being a serious issue in London, it's something I've been meaning to look into even here. I can't imagine they'd try their luck on a quiet residential street or the office car park, but I know that hybrids are attractive targets for such thieves, so...

Nick

Hi, in June 2020 I emailed Lexus Customer Services and was told that Lexus UK were unaware of any thefts of Catalytic Converters from Lexus GS and UX cars. I was reassured and bought a UX.

I think that the major Cat in the UX is directly attached to the exhaust manifold and pretty innaccessible.

13 hours ago, bigglesfllesundone said:

Hi, in June 2020 I emailed Lexus Customer Services and was told that Lexus UK were unaware of any thefts of Catalytic Converters from Lexus GS and UX cars. I was reassured and bought a UX.

I think that the major Cat in the UX is directly attached to the exhaust manifold and pretty innaccessible.

Thanks for that information John. I've taken a look under the car, the Catalytic converter doesn't look visible from underneath not like on the CT's so reckon the UX would not be a target for thieves.  

Yes its a serious issue and if you have one stolen it will cost you a lot of money for a replacement and if you can get one. There are various companies making anti cat theft devices. Its good to discover that the UX is near the manifold this would make it a bit more difficult to remove. The Toyota cat is the thieves chosen cat of choice because they are found to have more of the precious metals in than the make of others allegedly. This type of theft is not just around london its happening nationally.

Brent

Getting a cat out from the exhaust headers would be a multi-hour job, so my guess is that as manufacturers move cats to those locations for faster warm-up this particular crime will disappear. I'm relieved to hear that my UX isn't at risk!

Regarding Toyota catalytic converters, I don't think they have more valuable metals, it's just that hybrid drivetrains run the engine less often, so for a given mileage the cat will be in better condition. That makes them more valuable at resale.

Nick

On 11/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, EvilRacer329 said:

I've been reading about that being a serious issue in London, it's something I've been meaning to look into even here. I can't imagine they'd try their luck on a quiet residential street or the office car park, but I know that hybrids are attractive targets for such thieves, so...

Nick

Nick I believe you reside in Milton Keynes. My son lives there (Oakgrove estate), he has just informed me today (Sunday 8th) that a retired neighbour living opposite who owns a Toyota Auris (2018) had the catalytic converter stolen from underneath the car at 9.30pm Saturday night whilst parked on the drive. The pipes were cut cleanly either side of the cat. My son heard a noise looked out of the window and witnessed the event and subsequently rang the police and neighbour. Police stated that there is a spate of thefts now taking place in the MK area.

Oof, that's sub-optimal. Hope your son's neighbour get's the damage repaired quickly and painlessly. Clearly the thieves are more than happy to ply their rotten trade on residential streets! It sounds like our UX's won't be targets in the same way though, what with the converters being tucked up in the engine bay...

Nick

• 1 year later...
On 11/4/2020 at 11:26 AM, Ed the Ted said:

Thanks for that information John. I've taken a look under the car, the Catalytic converter doesn't look visible from underneath not like on the CT's so reckon the UX would not be a target for thieves.  

Last week in Salfird Royal hospital Car park, 12 cars were stolen their cat converter.

There were some lexus UX stolen as well.

I have ordered one that not yet received, I contacted the dealer and asked him if they can protect it before I get it, he answered me after few days and said that there is no cat loc offered by Lexus and should check with local garages.

I didn't receive my car and I am worried from now.

If any one know a special brand of cat loc that can fit the UX, I will be grateful.

2 hours ago, Omar Alhafidh said:

Last week in Salfird Royal hospital Car park, 12 cars were stolen their cat converter.

There were some lexus UX stolen as well.

I have ordered one that not yet received, I contacted the dealer and asked him if they can protect it before I get it, he answered me after few days and said that there is no cat loc offered by Lexus and should check with local garages.

I didn't receive my car and I am worried from now.

If any one know a special brand of cat loc that can fit the UX, I will be grateful.

Me and the wife once went to Maine road (Manchester city's ground) to watch a concert many many years ago. We got sat down and this couple got sat down next to us. We were talking to them we asked where have you parked we said in some huge park. They said we have parked down a street and they were worried because they had seen some youths about looking at cars (which were a lot easier to steal in those days). Our car wouldn't be stolen because we have taken the starter motor out, the lady opened her bag and showed us. Regarding the cat as previously posted i believe its nearer the manifold which would make it harder to get to. i am also of the understanding the precious metals they want the cats for now are manufactured with not so precious metals. This is the first i have heard of a UX getting the cat stolen.

• Haha 1

“There were some lexus UX stolen as well”……..Omar can you advise us where you obtained this information from i.e. Police, local paper or word of mouth?  

I’m sceptical as up to now there is no history of the UX250h being a target for Cat thefts.

• Like 1

While newer lexuses and other manufacturers have their primary cat in the engine bay for quicker warm up, it's the secondary cats they're stealing now and those are still below. GS wasn't a target in the past, it is now...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links