Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any current Soarers owners!

Delp

There's a 1JZ (mostly Soarer including 1UZ) facebook club that a few owners are still active on and occasionally on one of the other sites already known to you. There was due to be a meet late September but it had to be cancelled as the rule of 6 applied.

• Like 2

I had a 1996 V8, but sold it in 2011.  I had a 1992 2.5 TT before that in green, but don't have any pictures of that to hand.  Here are pictures of the 96 V8.  Both cars were immaculate (at the time of ownership) with no modifications apart from the wheels and Supra 8 pots.  I wish I had these cars in this condition today.   

sor1.jpg

sor2.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/11/2020 at 7:45 PM, Delp said:

I must say bit shocked theres no current Soarer owners on here. 

Is it because it's a Toyota 😄

I thought this might spark a reply! 

Nice colour that Tom H and a late VVTI. 

Would you  guys mind sharing any issues you had with it if you had any. What too look out for on a V8. Common things you encountered mechanically or body wise

Any pics of yours PCM. 

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Excuse me, I have a Toyota!🤭

What a Toyota you got as this if for the current or ex Soarer owners😄 Celsior nice. 

• Like 1

I had 2 Soarers but I think you already know about them. One was a UZZ31 V8 Limited on air, a rare version without the navi screen which is the best one to have in my view.

Awesome car, very comfortable, composed and fast but it isn't cheap to keep in very good condition. Most decent examples will have had regular maintenance and all of the usual faults attended to by now but few will have been kept in 'tip top' condition. Because they didn't receive the attention the lesser Supra did, they fell prey to those who couldn't afford to either restore them or maintain them for very long and so only the fortunate few survive.

I would try to find a nice one and then budget perhaps £4k to get it just right. I've been tempted to take on one more Soarer as a project but it would have to be a V8TT or something equally 'wild' when really more effort should be made to restore and preserve them.

Check the AC, power steering pump, alternator and door hinges, door cards, all suspension arms. bushes, air suspension if it still has it.

Fuel pump ecu is a common failure, coil packs too but don't let my knowledge deter you as these things are easily fixed if you can find the parts. I sold mine with way over 200k miles on it and it was still in good order with no loss of power or poise. De-cat it to release a little extra power. 

The key to the full V8 Soarer grand tourer experience is to glide in one at high speed with all of the suspension in a perfect state. It's a coupe LS400 afterall.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Neil E said:

I had 2 Soarers but I think you already know about them. One was a UZZ31 V8 Limited on air, a rare version without the navi screen which is the best one to have in my view.

Awesome car, very comfortable, composed and fast but it isn't cheap to keep in very good condition. Most decent examples will have had regular maintenance and all of the usual faults attended to by now but few will have been kept in 'tip top' condition. Because they didn't receive the attention the lesser Supra did, they fell prey to those who couldn't afford to either restore them or maintain them for very long and so only the fortunate few survive.

I would try to find a nice one and then budget perhaps £4k to get it just right. I've been tempted to take on one more Soarer as a project but it would have to be a V8TT or something equally 'wild' when really more effort should be made to restore and preserve them.

Check the AC, power steering pump, alternator and door hinges, door cards, all suspension arms. bushes, air suspension if it still has it.

Fuel pump ecu is a common failure, coil packs too but don't let my knowledge deter you as these things are easily fixed if you can find the parts. I sold mine with way over 200k miles on it and it was still in good order with no loss of power or poise. De-cat it to release a little extra power. 

The key to the full V8 Soarer grand tourer experience is to glide in one at high speed with all of the suspension in a perfect state. It's a coupe LS400 afterall.

you mentioned  fuel pump ECU is that a costly part sounds it? 

Are bushes readily available or would it be a case of new arms. Check for leaks on power steering pump, check actually cold, what best way to check alternator. Air bags how quick should they go up or down. 

You mention 4k is that to get it a high standard excluding buying the car. 

The power steering pump is known to fail and leak onto the alternator which in turn fails. I doubt you will find a good V8 that hasn't already been attended to.

I would guess £5-6k for a decent UZZ31 and then (if it was me) I would be allowing £4k (doing some work myself) to deal with any wear and tear that hasn't already been addressed. The fuel ECU is quite a small item that lives behind the trim in the near side rear passenger panel. Back in the day I bought 2 used spares for about £60 each and carried one in each car just in case. There is also a temporary fuel ECU bypass that can be done with a jumper wire. I would need to check the facts as I'm a bit hazy on it but I think the ECU switches between a 9V and 12V mode. When it fails it defaults to 9V and you lose power but can get home in slow mode. 

The air struts should only change when you adjust the ride height in the car. They sit at normal level except for when some extra ground clearance is required. The pump kicks in as required and raises the car gradually. I can't remember how quickly but would guess it takes about 20 secs to raise it. Running them any lower than the normal setting risks damaging the units. If you want to go 'low' then go for aftermarket units designed for the task.

If the car is in an excellent state suspension wise and it's on standard wheels and tyres, it will be the smoothest ride you ever took. On a par with any LS I've driven, in fact, as much as I like them, better and quieter than the 3 LS600s I've driven. BUT remember that most Soarers are very tired old buses now. It costs a lot of money to keep them in good order. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Neil E said:

The power steering pump is known to fail and leak onto the alternator which in turn fails. I doubt you will find a good V8 that hasn't already been attended to.

I would guess £5-6k for a decent UZZ31 and then (if it was me) I would be allowing £4k (doing some work myself) to deal with any wear and tear that hasn't already been addressed. The fuel ECU is quite a small item that lives behind the trim in the near side rear passenger panel. Back in the day I bought 2 used spares for about £60 each and carried one in each car just in case. There is also a temporary fuel ECU bypass that can be done with a jumper wire. I would need to check the facts as I'm a bit hazy on it but I think the ECU switches between a 9V and 12V mode. When it fails it defaults to 9V and you lose power but can get home in slow mode. 

The air struts should only change when you adjust the ride height in the car. They sit at normal level except for when some extra ground clearance is required. The pump kicks in as required and raises the car gradually. I can't remember how quickly but would guess it takes about 20 secs to raise it. Running them any lower than the normal setting risks damaging the units. If you want to go 'low' then go for aftermarket units designed for the task.

If the car is in an excellent state suspension wise and it's on standard wheels and tyres, it will be the smoothest ride you ever took. On a par with any LS I've driven, in fact, as much as I like them, better and quieter than the 3 LS600s I've driven. BUT remember that most Soarers are very tired old buses now. It costs a lot of money to keep them in good order. 

Looks like Its more of a ongoing restoration project that requires deep pockets.. Are parts readily available if so what other cars share the same parts? 

The V8 Soarer UZZ (30, 31, 32 Active) is really a coupe version of the LS400. 

The 3.0 NA  and 2.5 TT or VVTi single T in the same chassis has some common ground with the Supra too. In the US they were LHD SC300/400 models with some conventional dashboards and a lesser tech level. 

1991 - 1997 so the car is at least 23 years old. There's a small following in the UK, a lot in the US on clublexus, a wealth of knowledge in Aus on Soarer Central (Planet Soarer) and Lextreme is also a place that 1UZ owners visit, particularly if they want to go faster.

Some people still seem to be able to get parts but I am aware that it's becoming harder. I'm sure if you acquired a Soarer and set up a build thread on here there would be a good deal of interest and help. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Neil E said:

The V8 Soarer UZZ (30, 31, 32 Active) is really a coupe version of the LS400. 

The 3.0 NA  and 2.5 TT or VVTi single T in the same chassis has some common ground with the Supra too. In the US they were LHD SC300/400 models with some conventional dashboards and a lesser tech level. 

1991 - 1997 so the car is at least 23 years old. There's a small following in the UK, a lot in the US on clublexus, a wealth of knowledge in Aus on Soarer Central (Planet Soarer) and Lextreme is also a place that 1UZ owners visit, particularly if they want to go faster.

Some people still seem to be able to get parts but I am aware that it's becoming harder. I'm sure if you acquired a Soarer and set up a build thread on here there would be a good deal of interest and help. 

I was planning doing that if I find the right car. Thanks for the advice Neil. 😊

• Like 2

... the air suspension went on mine. became a bit of a , 'low rider'.

JEM ( North London ) sourced one from another Soarer they were breaking.

Used parts was becoming the norm...

• Like 1

I had no trouble obtaining parts through Toyota within a couple of days for most things and had a good source through a South Coast breaker/importer but that business has moved on. They would still be an excellent resource for repair and maintenance but not for spares. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neil E said:

I had no trouble obtaining parts through Toyota within a couple of days for most things and had a good source through a South Coast breaker/importer but that business has moved on. They would still be an excellent resource for repair and maintenance but not for spares. 

Neil & PCM would you guys be willing to advise if I had any issues, as I think taking it to a local garage would be an issue not wanting to touch it. That's my main worry.. 

Always happy to help and advise. The good thing is the amount of searchable info available.

If you hit a major problem there are still some people on hand with the knowledge and skill but you may need to take the car to Worthing or Gloucester for any major surgery. 

28 minutes ago, Neil E said:

Always happy to help and advise. The good thing is the amount of searchable info available.

If you hit a major problem there are still some people on hand with the knowledge and skill but you may need to take the car to Worthing or Gloucester for any major surgery. 

Major Soarer surgery. Who's in Worthing and Gloucester

Rich Walker Lexusman in Gloucester, you already know and Hillsons, (Worthing Van Centre) in Littlehampton, I've used for more than 20 years. The older I get, the cleaner my hands stay. 🤣

John in Littlehampton has greater facility with full garage workshops and a small team. Rich still has spares, can do most jobs and trace/fix faults with a wealth of experience. He would use others nearby for work best done on ramps, etc. There may still be others and people closer to you who can do routine stuff if you already know what the problem is.

What are your aims and how would you intend to use the Soarer?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ever since Neil recommended John at Roundstone Van Centre I don't go anywhere else, we take our three cars there and are always more than pleased with his knowledge and prices. He's done jobs on my Celsior that others wouldn't do and without giving it a second thought.  Always worth travelling for the right (and often rare) mechanic.  He's also in the process of converting one of his workshops into an MOT station, always good to get a trustworthy MOT.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Neil E said:

Rich Walker Lexusman in Gloucester, you already know and Hillsons, (Worthing Van Centre) in Littlehampton, I've used for more than 20 years. The older I get, the cleaner my hands stay. 🤣

John in Littlehampton has greater facility with full garage workshops and a small team. Rich still has spares, can do most jobs and trace/fix faults with a wealth of experience. He would use others nearby for work best done on ramps, etc. There may still be others and people closer to you who can do routine stuff if you already know what the problem is.

What are your aims and how would you intend to use the Soarer?

Boring and keeping it stock😁

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Neil E said:

+1

• Like 1