Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 to Rx450h advice

Hi guys 

I currently own an rx300 (2004) and I have loved it for 4 years now. I have a new job and the old girl is just a bit too thirsty. I’m only achieving 17mpg atm. 
so my budget will likely get me a 2010 rx450h with between 80-100k on the clock.

1- what real world mpg are people getting on a 450h of this age? 
2- are there any issues with the hybrids being 10 plus years old? Does the battery still hold charge well or Anything to look for?

3- is the mileage a big issue? My current rx300 has just turned 90k and runs like a dream. 

4- what should I be checking has been done at this mileage?

thank you 😊 

I used to average 28-29 mpg on my 2009 RX 450h. That was driving 'normally' as I like to enjoy my cars, 50% motorway (25k miles per year). I am sure some will tell you you can easily achieve low 30s if you are careful and keep the car in ECO mode, but I'm my view enjoyment is more important than a few extra miles per gallon which, in the grand scheme of things are not going to make a huge difference cost wise.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Not sure it compares to your prospective purchase but I went from a 2005 RX300 to a November 2013 RX450h Advance with 30k on the clock that averages about 32mpg over the year in 'normal' mode - ECO mode really doesn't do much at all except annoy me.

As long as the Battery passes a hybrid health check (£59) then Lexus will warranty it for 12 months. This can be repeated every year until the Battery is 15 years old with no mileage limit.

• Like 1

There are many factors that affect mpg, not least the type of roads and the sort of speed you drive at and how much acceleration you require. Summer use gives slightly better mpg than in winter.  I find I drive my 2015 RX450h in a more relaxed manner where it excels, than my 3l BMW 5 series. When I bought it used, the car was showing 31.4 mpg I think.  It's quite hilly here in Devon which does tend to lower mpg. Over a normal year with 50% local with mix of minor roads and 50% motorway, I reckon about 30 mpg  pa would be quite close.  I drive up to permitted speed for roads, conditions permitting.

• Like 2

I'm in Glasgow so there are a few hills around but i average 31/32 mpg. Eco mode is pointless, makes barely any difference to consumption, and as Herbie says, it's annoying. On relatively flat A roads circa 60mph you can easily get late 30s. Fantastic reliabilty and easy to drive, my wife loves it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

Hi guys 

I currently own an rx300 (2004) and I have loved it for 4 years now. I have a new job and the old girl is just a bit too thirsty. I’m only achieving 17mpg atm. 
so my budget will likely get me a 2010 rx450h with between 80-100k on the clock.

1- what real world mpg are people getting on a 450h of this age? 
2- are there any issues with the hybrids being 10 plus years old? Does the battery still hold charge well or Anything to look for?

3- is the mileage a big issue? My current rx300 has just turned 90k and runs like a dream. 

4- what should I be checking has been done at this mileage?

thank you 😊 

You aren't kidding the RX300 is a thirsty beast only used to get about 20mpg.

1. Real world mpg 31/32 per tank with a best of 35. I don't use eco mode and like to 'make progress' on the road. If you like the traffic light grand prix you can get it down to 25, if you have a full Battery and are in traffic you can get the mpg off the chart. The car is running Bridgestone Duelers which are rated 'E' for economy and I often have lots of kid stuff in the boot.

2. No issues with hybrid Battery, but car does have full main dealer history. Lexus will perform a check every service and give an additional 1 year warranty until the car is 15 years old. The essential service is good value and often cheaper than taking the car to an independent then paying to get the hybrid Battery check done at Lexus afterwards. 

3. Mileage isn't  an issue, but like any pre owned car, you want to make sure you aren't purchasing somebody elses headache. The 450h does seem to perform well in the warranty wise and reliability surveys. 

I required a 12v Battery, went to Lexus Woodford, they rolled out the red carpet. Never been treated so well at a dealership, so smooth and slick, they even valeted the car for  me.

4. I avoided air suspension as it's not cheap to repair, the air shocks were nearly £1k per corner when I last checked. LED headlights are £££ as officially you can't replace individual bulbs, need a whole new unit, but you don't hear of them failing 

Edited by Prince Bob
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Herbie said:

Not sure it compares to your prospective purchase but I went from a 2005 RX300 to a November 2013 RX450h Advance with 30k on the clock that averages about 32mpg over the year in 'normal' mode - ECO mode really doesn't do much at all except annoy me.

As long as the battery passes a hybrid health check (£59) then Lexus will warranty it for 12 months. This can be repeated every year until the battery is 15 years old with no mileage limit.

There is an Annual limit of 10,000 miles Herbie.

9 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

There are many factors that affect mpg, not least the type of roads and the sort of speed you drive at and how much acceleration you require. Summer use gives slightly better mpg than in winter.  I find I drive my 2015 RX450h in a more relaxed manner where it excels, than my 3l BMW 5 series. When I bought it used, the car was showing 31.4 mpg I think.  It's quite hilly here in Devon which does tend to lower mpg. Over a normal year with 50% local with mix of minor roads and 50% motorway, I reckon about 30 mpg  pa would be quite close.  I drive up to permitted speed for roads, conditions permitting.

Barry, reading this reminds me....................do you now have the protection of the Lexus Extended Warranty ?

12 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Barry, reading this reminds me....................do you now have the protection of the Lexus Extended Warranty ?

Yes John,  I got the 'two year for the price of one' offer that seems to be becoming a permanent one.  I will probably keep this car for a long time if the accident damage is properly repaired. See my post 'Rear ended by A3' 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Yes John,  I got the 'two year for the price of one' offer that seems to be becoming a permanent one.  I will probably keep this car for a long time if the accident damage is properly repaired. See my post 'Rear ended by A3' 

Thanks.I`ve just read the other Post and responded. Sad news.

Stay safe.

• Sad 1

My 2010 RX450h Premier was 20k miles when I bought it at 4 years old, serviced by Lexus Snows every year. Now 80k, still serviced there every year, not expensive and 15% discount with Lexus Club - and they clean it and lend a new car, even with just MOT. With the service the main Battery warranty is 15yrs. I had to buy a new 12v Battery last year. Have seen 34mpg rarely in summer, but generally 30-32 over time. I don't use Eco, but didn't notice much difference anyway. Runs on Michelins which work well. All round it does the job very well; works, tows well, comfortable, smooth, but has plenty of power if needed, even if a bit lacking in feel. Gripes? Absurd costs to upgrade maps, but I use Waze or Google Maps. Low fuel indicator only comes on when 20 miles left. Cruise control + & - only goes in 5mph steps. (Nothing of much importance really).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mbmvw said:

Low fuel indicator only comes on when 20 miles left.

I've never let mine get that low.

I never let it get less than 1/4 full and it's only been that low twice in my almost three years of ownership.

• Like 5

On 11/4/2020 at 9:36 PM, Nickyt211 said:

Hi guys 

I get 24-29mpg from my RX300...on a variety of urban roads and occasional motorway.

• Like 1

CDs are soooo yesterday :laughing:

I never had a 400h but I'm almost sure that they have the facility to play music via a USB pen drive, but I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.

@Nickyt211

Something just randomly plopped into my head - if it's literally just the poor fuel economy that's causing concern but you like the rest of the car, it may make sense to have it converted to LPG.

I'll see if I can find my figures to back this up but I remember doing a comparison a long time ago (we traded in the 300 almost 3 years ago). You don't get as many miles per gallon with LPG so you have to fill up more often but because it's cheaper you come out winning.

Because of this anomaly it's better to talk in terms of 'cost per mile' when comparing LPG to petrol and if I remember correctly, my comparison showed that a straightforward petrol RX300 like yours was the most expensive, coming in at about 26p/mile. Next was the RX400h (note 400h - I didn't look at 450h) which returned about 19p/mile, and finally my LPG RX300 at about 13p/mile.

LPG is definitely better for the engine, better for the environment and better on the wallet/purse and I think the conversion cost was about £1,300 at the time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

Do any of you guys have any issues with the CD player? my rx300 mark levinson can be tempermental lol

Mine is fine...

Still love cassettes...

16 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

Do any of you guys have any issues with the CD player? my rx300 mark levinson can be tempermental lol

That's one thing I miss going from my 2011 RX to this 2017.

The 2011 had a 6 CD changer but the 2017 only can put one in.

I have just started putting my CDs that I want to play in the car onto a USB memory stick.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links