Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 to Rx450h advice

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/7/2020 at 7:19 PM, Herbie said:

CDs are soooo yesterday :laughing:

I never had a 400h but I'm almost sure that they have the facility to play music via a USB pen drive, but I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Not on my 2007.

• Like 1

What do you guys think about buying extended warranty?

the dealer I’m looking at is offering RAC platinum warranty for £290 for a year. From my understanding they only cover mechanical failure not wear and tear (which they use to get out of most things I thought) not sure wether to just bank the money for any issues that may occur? 

I went for it on my 2014 RX when the Lexus approved warranty ended after its first year. It's low mileage and showed no signs of the warranty being necessary, but I felt it was worthwhile for peace of mind.

The MoT test fees get paid, and the two years of AA European breakdown cover is useful to me as we visit France each year (well, usually).

• Like 1

One must be very careful about terminology.

A Lexus Extended Warranty from a. Official Lexus Dealer is like a Gold Clock and covers ALL MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL FAILURES OF A PROTECTED PART.

An extended warranty from a motor dealer is often not worth the paper it is written. So, read every line extremely carefully.

Nigel`s appears to be the former and Nicky`s, the latter.

One pays one`s money and one makes a choice!

• Like 3

The Lexus warranty is more embracing so you get better cover.  If you keep a car long enough parts will need replacing on any car, even a Lexus where some of the parts and the labour cost if done by Lexus is high.  Those that benefit most are the ones that do up to permitted miles as cost of the warranty is the same whether you do say 5,000 miles per annum or 10,000.  The Lexus warranty also covers premature failure of parts other providers may argue  are fair wear and tear.  If you do salt away something to cover a major item it is true that you may not need to spend this money during you period of ownership.  It comes down to how an individual sees it.  The Lexus warranty gives peace of mind at a fixed price but if an owner has a friend who will competently replace parts at 'mates rates' you might be prepared to risk paying for the parts and saving on the cost of any warranty. 

I do wish that there was separate cover offered for replacement of catalytic converters so not affecting other part of insurance policy.  The potential financial hit would then be spread but at what cost to premium?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

One must be very careful about terminology.

A Lexus Extended Warranty from a. Official Lexus Dealer is like a Gold Clock and covers ALL MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL FAILURES OF A PROTECTED PART.

An extended warranty from a motor dealer is often not worth the paper it is written. So, read every line extremely carefully.

Nigel`s appears to be the former and Nicky`s, the latter.

One pays one`s money and one makes a choice!

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/thewarrantygroup.com

• Like 1

Sound advice from John and Barry.

I have had excellent value from my Lexus Warranty ( about £7,000 ).

I suspect any other warranty, Gold, Platinum, Aardvark etc., would have paid nothing?

• Like 2

I can’t afford to buy direct from Lexus so won’t get their warranty.
Most dealers I’m looking at are RAC extended warranty. I think it may be more worth saving the money to cover a potential issue however I do think that it comes with a years breakdown so it depends how good that is too. 

18 minutes ago, Nickyt211 said:

I can’t afford to buy direct from Lexus so won’t get their warranty.
Most dealers I’m looking at are RAC extended warranty. I think it may be more worth saving the money to cover a potential issue however I do think that it comes with a years breakdown so it depends how good that is too. 

Read and digest this Nickyt211.  https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/problems-with-a-new-or-used-car-your-consumer-rights/

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would give you guys an update, I brought this in the end, a lovely Honda.

I will be back for a 450h in a few years  maybe but definitely someday though.

thanks for your help 

have to say it’s a great car for the money 🙂

325CFBF1-C019-4CAC-855F-6F4A2DF66965.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

Just thought I would give you guys an update, I brought this in the end, a lovely Honda.

thanks for your help 

Thanks for the update

• Like 1

Hi there

As I see it, no one has installed on the audio system Mark & Levinson an USB adapter.

Well i did it personally so i would recommend it to all members who drive a RX400H.

The Y cable needed around 25 euro :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Y-Adapter-Compatible-with-Toyota-since-2004-MP3-CD-Changer-Satnav-Radio-Small/191969914080?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Electronic box needed  around 55 £ :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yatour-USB-SD-Aux-MP3-Adapter-for-Toyota-Lexus-Corolla-Avensis-Highlander-Car/284110172516?hash=item4226493164:g:WhcAAOSwbd5eqVa-

I did the installation myself, so I didn't need assistance.

On the other subject, regarding the petrol consumption / 100km, I mounted on the RX400h LPG system, so running on LPG I cover 100km(62 miles) with 5.5 £, that would be around 8p/mile.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

thanks for your help 

She is gorgeous Nicole, congratulations. Nice to have had you on here albeit temporarily.

Do enjoy the CRV--auto?