Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potentially future isf owner

Hi everyone.

I've been browsing through this forum a while  now.

I'm really drawn to the lexus isf, the combination of a reliable v8 that makes an awesome noise with lexus reliability is hard to beat.

A few questions please 

1. Are there any owners in the south london area where I could take a look around your isf :). I'm based in purley cr8. (I used to live in selhurst and one would rumble past my flats most mornings, it sounded amazing, anyone on here?)

2. I've read about the transmission radiator  fault, are there any other common faults that can flare up on these cars (I appreciate the youngest are about 8 years old now!).

3. What is mpg like on the motorway? Low thirties? I used to have an alfa 147 gta so I'm used to high running costs lol.

Thanks all

Jez

I can't help with the viewing being in the north east I'm afraid.

I've had mine about 3 months and did the radiator as a precaution about a month in. It seems they can either fail between the transmission fluid cooler/heater and the coolant radiator or the hose lugs the transmission lines attach to can break off. Radiator is about £280 and you only need that and coolant to swap so it's a relatively cheap one. In the USA every ISF seems to get a bad coolant leak from within the V under the inlet manifold, not really heard of that over here, maybe something to do with the higher temps over there. The other thing is the water pump, but most have been replaced now, mine was done quite early on in its life and I checked it again when I did the radiator and all is well. 

MPG has been great for what it is, it's hardly any worse than my previous golf r32's/ golf r estate. I've not done a long motorway journey yet but regularly get high 20's on a 40 mile each way trip on single carriageway national speed limit roads without trying. I'm sure it'll do low 30's on a long motorway trip sat at 70/80. 

When I was looking people seemed to mention check brakes for wear as they can be expensive, they are only expensive to do discs and pads if you go to Lexus, else they are very cheap. OE brembo discs I've just bought for £114 an axle as an example! OE brembo pads are very dusty so I'll be choosing an upgrade alternative, the brakes aren't lacking as standard but the dust does my head in! 

1 hour ago, Twellsie said:

i was getting around 32 MPG with cruise control set at 70mph, its a little better after the remap and now get around 36 MPG

Sounds like good man maths for a remap haha who did you manage to find to do it or was it via the remote RR Racing method? 

3 hours ago, scott-o said:

Sounds like good man maths for a remap haha who did you manage to find to do it or was it via the remote RR Racing method? 

a friend/former colleague of mine, he has a company called Stage-X Motorsport

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jezpatel said:

Hi everyone.

I'm really drawn to the lexus isf, the combination of a reliable v8 that makes an awesome noise with lexus reliability is hard to beat.

A few questions please 

1. Are there any owners in the south london area where I could take a look around your isf :). I'm based in purley cr8. (I used to live in selhurst and one would rumble past my flats most mornings, it sounded amazing, anyone on here?)

2. I've read about the transmission radiator  fault, are there any other common faults that can flare up on these cars (I appreciate the youngest are about 8 years old now!).

3. What is mpg like on the motorway? Low thirties? I used to have an alfa 147 gta so I'm used to high running costs lol.

Thanks all

Jez

Common faults, as you said, include the trans radiator. Also be aware that water pumps can leak and steering racks can needing replacing (approx £4k) - L-SB-0016-11. I've also heard of brake servos failing.

Originally, IS-Fs were pretty much bullet proof, but as you've rightly pointed out, the IS-F is getting old now, so they will of course get more and more expensive to maintain due to reliability issues. As some have found out, parts can be expensive (and rare).

I’ve got a 13 plate and apart from a few minor niggles (im quite a demanding customer) I totally love it.

22-3 odd mpg generally, 30-33 on a run in 8th gear.  

Issues....  The Battery went a few months ago, but it was 7 years old apart from that it’s been perfick.

I would say it’s worth getting a warranty on any car, especially one older than 6 years, even a Toyota/Lexus.  

Mine came with 3 years from Lexus Swindon, so easy for me to say that.

It’s like anything really. It’s just luck

My IS-F had a fair few things go wrong (and it was low mileage FLSH). Water pump, air con & steering rack.

My RC-F, nothing went wrong at all.

Not sure how much an ISF warranty is these days, but they used to be very cheap. Worth looking into now that the ISF is an old car.

On 11/7/2020 at 10:11 AM, Jezpatel said:

Hi everyone.

A few questions please 

Thanks all

Jez

Good choice Jez,

ive owned 2, never had an issue.

once you’ve had one, you’re gonna wish you bought one sooner.

simply all round great car, I used mine on weekends only. Drive as a cruiser.....then off into sport mode and paddles it’s another f****** animal 

p.s excuse my French 😂😂

You can only take the warrantys out up to 10 years old, but can buy for as long as you are willing at that point so look for an early 12 plate or later if you want to take a warranty out.

Manifolds corroding at root and causing a tick at idle is another issue that I imagine they will all do at some point and worth a check when tyre kicking. My 59 plate 45k mile example is fine so far in that area so again not common more age and mileage related. Nothing lasts forever and aftermarket alternatives are available for that one.

Any car that was £50k+ new comes with risks of expensive parts as they age, but I think we are at the bottom of the depreciation curve now for older good quality examples. I purchased mine from lexus for the warranty, but had I purchased privately I think I would be getting about £2k less than I paid right now after 3 years ownership, which I cant complain at!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links