Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300h 2014 Turning full makes hammering noise

My Lexus makes strange hammering noise on front passenger side when turning full for past two weeks. 

I have not been able to take it for a diagnostic due to COVID. 

I wonder what could be wrong and how much it would cost to fix? 

If this is at very slow speed and first thing in the morning then it might just be the cold tread blocks on the tyre skipping sideways - this happens because of the wheel geometry at full steering lock. Does it do it all through the day and even when the tyres are warm (after you’ve done about 10 miles)? Does it do it on both sides, full left hand lock and full right hand lock? If not this then is most likely steering related I would think? Impossible to say what this might cost if it is a fault.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If this is at very slow speed and first thing in the morning then it might just be the cold tread blocks on the tyre skipping sideways - this happens because of the wheel geometry at full steering lock. Does it do it all through the day and even when the tyres are warm (after you’ve done about 10 miles)? Does it do it on both sides, full left hand lock and full right hand lock? If not this then is most likely steering related I would think? Impossible to say what this might cost if it is a fault.

Especially Continental tyres, they used to be really bad for it

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, paulrnx said:

It does the noise even when warm but the sound comes from only passenger side at slow speed. 

Sounds like a worn track rod end bush or some other suspension bush. Or front suspension top mount. Someone needs to get it up on a ramp to see if there is any movement or play in any of the suspension and steering components. Guess it could also be the steering rack. Might also be worth looking at wheel alignment especially if you’ve got uneven tyre wear across one or both tyres because the noise you hear might still be crabbing of the tyre on extreme lock. I think you’ll have to book it in somewhere. I guess the car isn’t under warranty because you’re trying to diagnose yourself and wondering how much it might be. What mileage is your car?

Edited by paulrnx
Typo
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Sounds like a worn track rod end bush or some other suspension bush. Or front suspension top mount. Someone needs to get it up on a ramp to see if there is any movement or play in any of the suspension and steering components. Guess it could also be the steering rack. Might also be worth looking at wheel alignment especially if you’ve got uneven tyre wear across one or both tyres because the noise you hear might still be crabbing of the tyre on extreme lock. I think you’ll have to book it in somewhere. I guess the car isn’t under warranty because you’re trying to diagnose yourself and wondering how much it might be. What mileage is your car?

The car is not under warranty. It has 115k on the clock 

Something in the suspension or steering has worn or broken then I would think. Might even be a broken front suspension spring so I’d get it checked out if I was you. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Shada said:

Whole lot of could be's here but go. Check the wheel isn't loose before anything else! 

Wheel can't be loose as last week i have done over 700 miles on mixture of road types. 

Quite a few miles on the clock so could be something worn but don't discount the people who say it could be the tyres.

Low profile tyres when cold especially often cause this, had it on several cars, noticed it more in the cold when I used to set off for work at 6.30 in a morning in past years.

Must say that it is quite noticeable on the IS, and as for only on the passenger side, on full lock, the inside and outside wheels will be doing completely different things, ie try it full lock one way then the other, you may find the sound moves to the other side.

Vince

• Thanks 1

I get a noise (not hammering) when I pull out of my drive, doing a sharp left .  It feels more like the tyre scrubbing or bouncing.

A lot of people say they get this. The car has only 28,000 on the clock, with not much wear on the tyres. I put it down to the

rough road surface.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

I get a noise (not hammering) when I pull out of my drive, doing a sharp left .  It feels more like the tyre scrubbing or bouncing.

A lot of people say they get this. The car has only 28,000 on the clock, with not much wear on the tyres. I put it down to the

rough road surface.

I get it on the old Merc when turning right out of the drive.

Both of my Michelin tyres are wearing on the inside edges.

• Thanks 1