Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Chain

Sorry if this has already been covered, I have done some searching, but can't find any posts on it. 

IS300h timing chain. Does it need changing? All I have found is that they last the life of the car. Which as far as I am aware is Lexus speak to 100k. With mine being a high mile car 117k. Does it need changing?

The only timing chains I've replaced were cars that has been run low on oil which in turn "stretches" the chain. If your oil changes are regular and levels checked. I wouldn't worry about it. It'll be obvious also as they will rattle against the guides and quite prominent. Not a cheap job as I would recommend to replace the chain, guides and tensioner. Of course if something catastrophic happens to the valve train components its hard to predict. But I wouldn't lose sleep over it

• Like 1

A well designed timing chain will last the life of the car. There are no reports I've heard of converning any issues with the setup on the IS300H.

Most of the Japanese engines are fine but that's not the same everywhere and some makes that use timing chains have a terrible reputation for their longevity. The Opel/Vauxhall Corsa comes to mind as do some recent Seat Ibiza's (VW Polos) where the timing chain looks like it came from a kids bike. The V6 GM engine that Alfa used in their Brera and 159 is also known for stretching the chain. And then there's the infamous BMW N47 2.0 diesel engine which would regularly pop the chain from when it was introduced in 2007 to when they eventually solved it in 2011.

36 minutes ago, route66 said:

A well designed timing chain will last the life of the car. There are no reports I've heard of converning any issues with the setup on the IS300H.

Most of the Japanese engines are fine but that's not the same everywhere and some makes that use timing chains have a terrible reputation for their longevity. The Opel/Vauxhall Corsa comes to mind as do some recent Seat Ibiza's (VW Polos) where the timing chain looks like it came from a kids bike. The V6 GM engine that Alfa used in their Brera and 159 is also known for stretching the chain. And then there's the infamous BMW N47 2.0 diesel engine which would regularly pop the chain from when it was introduced in 2007 to when they eventually solved it in 2011.

Reading this, I am so pleased I have a Lexus.

Unfortunately Lexus is not immune to timing chain stretch problems. It is a known problem with V6 & V8 engines causing a cam timing error code after 100K plus miles. Fortunately it is unusual for the chain to snap possibly because of the engine management light, and error code producing corrective treatment.

John.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Britprius said:

Unfortunately Lexus is not immune to timing chain stretch problems. It is a known problem with V6 & V8 engines causing a cam timing error code after 100K plus miles. Fortunately it is unusual for the chain to snap possibly because of the engine management light, and error code producing corrective treatment.

John.

Glad to hear that you also haven't heard of timing chain issues on the IS300H (4 cylinder engine also used on GS300H) 👍

I've read about timing chain issues on the V6 GS, but only the MK III (S190) and not the MK IV (L10). I've also read about some issues with the V8s - with one guy looking at a wallet crippling £6K quote from Lexus to remedy 😲

• Like 1

Although not in the workshop manual it is possible on the V6/V8 engines to change the timing chain without dismantling the front of the engine, but just by removing the drivers side "RHD cars" cam cover.
Obviously the timing chain in a 4 cylinder engine is under much less load than 6 & 8 cylinder versions with less cams to drive. The chain is also much shorter so that link pin ware is multiplied less by there being fewer links. 

John.

• Like 1

I know that the timing chains can stretch and can snap on the big Nissans .......  and when they snap cause a £6k bill ...  destroys much around it

Replacing the timing chain before " snap " is possibly a sensible and ££££ economic course to take

At least one knows that a timing belt has a service change date and or miles

I think you could get a sensible estimate from a competent and trusted garage to replace your now quite old, timing chain

Malc

On 11/10/2020 at 1:28 PM, LexIS200Sport said:

Was it a diesel engine?

No it was a petrol, 1.4 I think, at the time we couldn't afford to do anything about it, eventually it got scrapped as cost more to fix than it was worth and her parents bought her a car to replace it, this was tell help her as she needed a car to start a new job.

Now several years later she's driving a Toyota Yaris, its a great car.

Vince

Sorry if this has already been covered, I have done some searching, but can't find any posts on it. 

IS300h timing chain. Does it need changing? All I have found is that they last the life of the car. Which as far as I am aware is Lexus speak to 100k. With mine being a high mile car 117k. Does it need changing?

High mileage is not 117k, yours is just getting into its stride.

I have 173k miles on my 2014 IS300h and no issues with the timing chain.
Service regularly and as required and I honestly believe that is part of its longevity

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links