Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just seen one of those videos on You Tube about how brilliant WD 40 is at degreasing windscreen wiper blades.

As I'm not very busy at the moment I thought I'd give this a go. However I've just discovered that I can't swing the wiper arms up as the bonnet gets in the way ( 4thgenRX). I lifted the bonnet but still no go. I then tried pressing the retainer button to remove the whole blade assembly but couldn't budge it. If I turn the ignition off when the blade is upright then the wiper arm just returns to its rest position.

Duh !!  What am I missing here ?

Alan

40 minutes ago, stringbender said:

If I turn the ignition off when the blade is upright then the wiper arm just returns to its rest position.

Not being funny but are you sure?

I've never heard of any car in my 40-odd years of driving that can do this. Every car I've ever seen or owned, including my 3RX450h (2013) will stop mid-wipe if you turn off the ignition.

• Like 2

Hold the wiper stalk in the up position, intermittent wipe, for a couple of seconds immediately after switching the ignition/engine off. Wipers will move to clear the bonnet. This is for the latest model.

30 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I've never heard of any car in my 40-odd years of driving that can do this. Every car I've ever seen or owned, including my 3RX450h (2013) will stop mid-wipe if you turn off the ignition.

In our Nissan Leaf, the wiper always returns to its rest position regardless of when the ignition is switched off. True story.

On a separate note, @stringbender please let us know how effective WD40 is at cleaning the wiper blades. My initial thoughts is that the WD40 residue itself would smear across the windscreen?

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Does the Handbook offer any advice Alan ?

Duh !! never even thought to look there !  I'll try Colin's trick ( if I can tear myself away from this computer) and report back. I also wasn't convinced it  (WD40) would work but will let you know if it does.

Alan

9 minutes ago, stringbender said:

Duh !! never even thought to look there !  I'll try Colin's trick ( if I can tear myself away from this computer) and report back. I also wasn't convinced it  (WD40) would work but will let you know if it does.

Alan

Page 295 and Page 650 my friend !

Must say I am surprised that WD 40, which is a thin oil, is recommended for blades touching windscreen even if a water dispersant.  I have always cleaned my wipers with windscreen wash and not had any trouble.  I appreciate that there are applications to help preserve rubber on the market but WD 40?  

Let us know how you get on if you are able to apply. 

16 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

Let us know how much replacement windscreen wipers are if you are able to apply. 

:biggrin:

I'll be honest Alan, I think you've dodged a bullet not being able to get the wipers up.

2 hours ago, C Mclean said:

Hold the wiper stalk in the up position, intermittent wipe, for a couple of seconds immediately after switching the ignition/engine off. Wipers will move to clear the bonnet. This is for the latest model.

Yeeeeeh !! Wipers spring upright . Thanks so much Colin. I don't think this is in the manual so how did you get to know this ?

4-3. Operating the lights and wipers 347
When the windshield wipers are not being used, they retract to below the hood. To enable the windshield wipers to be lifted when parking in cold conditions or when replacing a windshield wiper insert, change the rest position of the wind- shield wipers to the service position using the wiper lever.
■ Raisingthewiperstotheserviceposition Within approximately 40 seconds of
turning the power switch off, move
the wiper lever to the   posi- tion and hold it for approximately 2 seconds or more.
The wipers will move to the service position.
■ Liftingthewindshieldwipers
While holding the hook portion of the wiper arm, lift the windshield wiper from the windshield.
  Changing the windshield wiper rest position/Lifting the windshield wip- ers
      RX450h/RX450hL_EE_OM48F86E

Found this by pure luck rather than expertise..

51 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

:biggrin:

I'll be honest Alan, I think you've dodged a bullet not being able to get the wipers up.

Oh dear ! Was so excited to get the blades up I got the WD out before seeing your reply. Much filth came off but maybe that was the blade material. Won't know till I take her out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stringbender said:

Manual for the 4RX finishes at page 245. The only mention I could find about wipers was the de-icer ( if equipped).

T`was from the MY LEXUS website for RX450H manufactured in 2016..

I was only trying to help, don`t shoot or kidnap me or set Attorney General on me please.  :):)

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I was only trying to help, don`t shoot or kidnap me or set Attorney General on me please.  :):)

When you're as daft as me you need all the help you can get!  I've now found this information in the 4RX owners manual on page 89 under "driving". Who'd have thought it eh ?

Thanks everybody

Alan

5 minutes ago, stringbender said:

When you're as daft as me you need all the help you can get!  I've now found this information in the 4RX owners manual on page 89 under "driving". Who'd have thought it eh ?

Thanks everybody

Alan

Roy 1 Stringbender 1. An honourable draw methinks.

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

My ES does this and my previous NX.  Both return to park if you turn off the ignition part way through the sweep.

They also don’t spray the windscreen if a door isn’t fully closed.  The headlight washers operate but the windscreen doesn’t even if the door is mostly closed.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Roy 1 Stringbender 1. An honourable draw methinks.

No need for any scoring. There was never any competition.

Glad of all the advice received. Just hope I haven't dissolved my blades !

Alan

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I think we should employ Rudy Giuliani to launch a recount !!

12 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

No that was Ruud Gullit as I am sure you no full well!

Indeed I do Barry. A little bit of fun does wonders for the Soul, but I`m sure that I could not have spelt (?) it without Google.

T`was watching too much M & W wot did it ! 

WD40 eh !  surely residue oily stuff will cause lasting damage maybe ?

I really don't know

in olden times my father used to use a cut potato to wipe across the screen and wiper rubbers to remove crap

Malc

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links