Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New owner - First thoughts and fault.

Larry David

1 hour ago, Kevin Williams said:

Chris, software updates... Do they automatically download to the car...? I have set up the wifi on my car... thanks Kevin

My fuel filler car seems fine, it was done in Dec 2019

IMG_2260.PNG

Hi Kevin

Sorry Kevin but i am not very tech savvy, so not 100% sure on that, but my gut tells me, No it doesn't automatically download to your car, the reason i say that is...

My update took just over 2 hours and the car had to be left running while this was done, i assume because the ignition needs to be on and if the engine is not running the ignition will automatically turn its self off after a short time 

I am not sure what downloads i had done, i know they did a software download no 17 ( 19 is due out soon ) i don't know if map updates are free with a service while the car is in warranty, but i was not charged anything for whatever update they did.

My map now shows me the name of the road i am traveling on at the bottom of the screen which i am sure is wasn't before, plus i have a new speed camera icon on the bottom right of the screen ( see photo below ) which if you click on it you can add a new or temporary  speed camera which defiantly  was not there before, now i don't know if this was added with a new map update or a systems update.

i asked about a update next service ( car will be out of warranty ) and was told that there would be a cost involved as they need to put in a pin number which would be supplied with the update pack which you have to pay for, now again i don't know if this was for a map update or a system update, i certainly would not be happy to pay for a system update as these are normally done because of some issue with the systems running software. the same as you don't pay for a software update on your Iphone, so we will see when the time comes.

IMG_1698.thumb.jpeg.30ef869f07acc69e382ec335ed590836.jpeg

21 hours ago, wendle said:

Hi Kevin

Sorry Kevin but i am not very tech savvy, so not 100% sure on that, but my gut tells me, No it doesn't automatically download to your car, the reason i say that is...

My update took just over 2 hours and the car had to be left running while this was done, i assume because the ignition needs to be on and if the engine is not running the ignition will automatically turn its self off after a short time 

I am not sure what downloads i had done, i know they did a software download no 17 ( 19 is due out soon ) i don't know if map updates are free with a service while the car is in warranty, but i was not charged anything for whatever update they did.

My map now shows me the name of the road i am traveling on at the bottom of the screen which i am sure is wasn't before, plus i have a new speed camera icon on the bottom right of the screen ( see photo below ) which if you click on it you can add a new or temporary  speed camera which defiantly  was not there before, now i don't know if this was added with a new map update or a systems update.

i asked about a update next service ( car will be out of warranty ) and was told that there would be a cost involved as they need to put in a pin number which would be supplied with the update pack which you have to pay for, now again i don't know if this was for a map update or a system update, i certainly would not be happy to pay for a system update as these are normally done because of some issue with the systems running software. the same as you don't pay for a software update on your iPhone, so we will see when the time comes.

IMG_1698.thumb.jpeg.30ef869f07acc69e382ec335ed590836.jpeg

Thanks for your post Chris. My map doesn't show the name of my road at the bottom, and neither a speed camera... I also checked the updates my car has had... Photos below.

My car has had two Navigation Updates, the last was on 23.01.18. I will ring Lexis Plymouth and ask about any updates it should have. I need to ring them because I will be buying an Extended Warranty, thats due before 31.01.21. I think our cars are of a similar age...!

I see your map shows you were travelling near Bexley Heath Golf Course. I worked for a company based in Gravesend for a few years.

Its great to have a Lexus again after nearly 20 years, the LC 500 is a great car to drive...!

Current Map.jpg

Update History.jpg

18 minutes ago, Kevin Williams said:

Thanks for your post Chris. My map doesn't show the name of my road at the bottom, and neither a speed camera... I also checked the updates my car has had... Photos below.

My car has had two Navigation Updates, the last was on 23.01.18. I will ring Lexis Plymouth and ask about any updates it should have. I need to ring them because I will be buying an Extended Warranty, thats due before 31.01.21. I think our cars are of a similar age...!

I see your map shows you were travelling near Bexley Heath Golf Course. I worked for a company based in Gravesend for a few years.

Its great to have a Lexus again after nearly 20 years, the LC 500 is a great car to drive...!

Current Map.jpg

Update History.jpg

Yes looks like you need a update, may be worth waiting until version 19 comes out, i believe it to be around the end of the month.

also be prepared for them to have the car for a couple of hours, and a full tank of fuel, as i said my update took 2 hours with the engine running

6 hours ago, wendle said:

Yes looks like you need a update, may be worth waiting until version 19 comes out, i believe it to be around the end of the month.

also be prepared for them to have the car for a couple of hours, and a full tank of fuel, as i said my update took 2 hours with the engine running

Thanks for your post Chris... Blimey, that's very strange to have the engine running for 2 hours... after all, it is a Lexus...!

I have emailed Lexus Plymouth with several questions... Thanks again...

Kevin,

Noticed your comment about Lexus extended warranty.

I cannot understand why the cost is so high when compared to the very competitive cost of the 2 years for one warranty on other models,including the V8 RCF.

I wonder if dealers are prepared to share some of the inevitable commission that these products generate for them.

Interested to hear what they charge you.

A J.

5 minutes ago, AJ500 said:

Kevin,

I cannot understand why the cost is so high when compared to the very competitive cost of the 2 years for one warranty on other models,including the V8 RCF.

I wonder if dealers are prepared to share some of the inevitable commission that these products generate for them.

A J.

I have had a big discussion with Lexus about the warranty for the LC, its been taken right to the top but they are not going to move on the £2350 for 2 years.

i too cant understand why its so high when the RC-F is £995 for two years, along with the engine a lot of other warranted parts are the same.

So i have just put £100 extra in to my car tax/insurance/service pot and keeping my fingers crossed, 

I would be surprised if its not insurance company backed so ultimately the decision of some underwriter regarding cost.There will always be a brokerage or commission paid to Lexus and the dealer which means they could,if they wanted,make some form of reduction to individual customers.

Maybe its too early for Lexus to guage takeup as the earliest cars have only recently hit 3 years and a lot of them have gone back to the dealers to be resold as their lease agreements have finished or owners just want a new car.

Does the cost include 2 years full recovery etc?

A J.

11 minutes ago, AJ500 said:

I would be surprised if its not insurance company backed so ultimately the decision of some underwriter regarding cost.There will always be a brokerage or commission paid to Lexus and the dealer which means they could,if they wanted,make some form of reduction to individual customers.

Maybe its too early for Lexus to guage takeup as the earliest cars have only recently hit 3 years and a lot of them have gone back to the dealers to be resold as their lease agreements have finished or owners just want a new car.

Does the cost include 2 years full recovery etc?

A J.

Yes you get 2 years Breakdown cover, which would be worth £100 per year, but then you get that with all the Lexus warranties.

I managed to get full AA breakdown cover for £50 this year as the AA came out as the cheapest car insurance and they were doing a deal.

On 11/16/2020 at 8:47 AM, wendle said:

Chris, for your info... I have heard back from Lexus Plymouth...

As for software update, there is software available to update your MM17 system to the latest MM19 setup which includes apple car play & Android auto functionalities, this is a chargeable update but in this car case I can offer a free update, I will however need the car for approx. 5 hours to do said update.

Do you use the Speech Command System, and if so, is it easy to use...? Thanks Kevin

4 minutes ago, Kevin Williams said:

As for software update, there is software available to update your MM17 system to the latest MM19 setup which includes Apple car play & Android auto functionalities, this is a chargeable update but in this car case I can offer a free update, I will however need the car for approx. 5 hours to do said update.

Do you use the Speech Command System, and if so, is it easy to use...? Thanks Kevin

5 Hours WOW, you better take a spare fuel can with you. lol.

I find the Speech Command System works quite well, i mainly use it for the telephone, but recently put in a address that worked better than i expected, i believe it takes a while to learn your voice, and i think i found somewhere, deep in the menu system a voice training section ( or perhaps i was dreaming ).

Chris

As for software update, there is software available to update your MM17 system to the latest MM19 setup which includes Apple car play & Android auto functionalities, this is a chargeable update but in this car case I can offer a free update, I will however need the car for approx. 5 hours to do said update.

Hold up, they’re offering you the CarPlay update?

11 minutes ago, Stuart-S said:

Hold up, they’re offering you the CarPlay update?

Stuart, I haven't spoken to Lexus Plymouth, I just exchanged emails... MM19 reads to include Apple car play... I will know in a couple of weeks...

I have never used apple car play, is it good...?

Your local Lexus dealer should be able to sort the update MM19 for you. I think Chris said in a post that his dealer would charge for it...

Do you use the voice commands in your LC500, and if so, are they easy to use...?

Yes MM19 is a update, but you have to pay for the apple Car Play part of the update unless you have a nice dealership.

can take up to 5 hours to do ( with the engine running ) if you're only running at MM17 part 1, there is a part 2 & 3, them MM19 and then the apple Car Play part.

I am not sure if my 17 plate car can take the apple Car Play part, to be honest i am not really interested in it

40 minutes ago, wendle said:

Yes MM19 is a update, but you have to pay for the Apple Car Play part of the update unless you have a nice dealership.

can take up to 5 hours to do ( with the engine running ) if you're only running at MM17 part 1, there is a part 2 & 3, them MM19 and then the Apple Car Play part.

I am not sure if my 17 plate car can take the Apple Car Play part, to be honest i am not really interested in it

So Chris, Lexus Plymouth are being nice to me...!

I don't know anything about using apple Car Play... I will have to youtube it...!

Hopefully Stuart can advise me what's good about it...!

• Haha 1

So Chris, Lexus Plymouth are being nice to me...!

I don't know anything about using Apple Car Play... I will have to youtube it...!

Hopefully Stuart can advise me what's good about it...!

I don't use voice control currently, but I will when the CarPlay update is available because you basically get Siri in your car - you'll be able to say things like "take me home" and the navigation will automatically pull up your home address and start guiding you.

For me, the main benefit of CarPlay aside from Siri is being able to use whatever navigation apps you use on your Iphone, right there in the dashboard, because for me, Lexus navigation is pretty terrible and always has been. I'm curious to see if that also extends to the HUD though, because currently I do like the turn-by-turn directions being displayed there.

On 11/16/2020 at 3:03 PM, AJ500 said:

Kevin,

A J.

A J, I have paid 1,495 for a 1 year extended warranty. 2 years is 2,395. I paid for 1 year, because the Convertible should be here in March/April...

Thanks ,

I understand this includes the full Recovery cover.

Is your existing LC due to be put in to the supplying dealer in Scotland as a px when the convertible arrives?

A J.

4 hours ago, AJ500 said:

Thanks ,

I understand this includes the full Recovery cover.

Is your existing LC due to be put in to the supplying dealer in Scotland as a px when the convertible arrives?

A J.

I am not sure what I will do with my current LC. My son will probably buy it, as he is collecting classic cars, and the LC 500, will no doubt, become a valuable classic car...

The Convertible, and my Honda e, will be all I need. I don't do a lot of driving because of my helicopter accident...

I normally have 3 cars, but I am going to only have 2 cars... I have just sold 1KSW... I have my wife's plate on the Honda e, which she unfortunately cant drive for medical reasons...

K W 

IMG_2265.jpg

Taycan 1KSW.jpg

22 hours ago, Stuart-S said:

I don't use voice control currently, but I will when the CarPlay update is available because you basically get Siri in your car - you'll be able to say things like "take me home" and the navigation will automatically pull up your home address and start guiding you.

For me, the main benefit of CarPlay aside from Siri is being able to use whatever navigation apps you use on your iPhone, right there in the dashboard, because for me, Lexus navigation is pretty terrible and always has been. I'm curious to see if that also extends to the HUD though, because currently I do like the turn-by-turn directions being displayed there.

Stuart, My LC is booked in on 8th December. I will let you know what the update MM19 does, when I have the car back. I haven't got HUD fitted on my current LC... 

I have never used apple Car Play, so I have been looking on YouTube...

If you search 'Northside Lexus' on YouTube, there are several Tutorials on most Lexus's...

I haven't looked at my Owners Handbook, because there are several Tutorials about the LC, on YouTube...! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 9:34 AM, Kevin Williams said:

A J, I have paid 1,495 for a 1 year extended warranty. 2 years is 2,395. I paid for 1 year, because the Convertible should be here in March/April...

A J, I have just noticed, not that I will be keeping either LC 500's, for 10 years...!

The Warranty can be extended for up to 10 years or 140,000 miles...

I don't know of any other car manufacturer that provides this...

I think knowing this, alone, is a good reason to be driving a Lexus...!

Kevin 

Kevin,

I think Porsche offer upto 15 years and 125k miles.Their servicing is much more costly and has to be kept up to date by official dealers with strict conditions regarding parts etc,eg batteries,brakes and even wiper blades!

I hope to extend my warranty in a years time although I just cannot understand why Lexus will not offer the same very good deal as applies to most of the range.

A J.

Oh to dip my feet into this forum. I wish one day to be able to call myself an owner, but I did have the fortune to drive an LC500 last year when IS was being serviced. I was able to get child car seats in the rear and the car comfortably accommodated 2 adults and 2 children with ease, though I'm sure it would've become more cramped with teenager or older in the rear seats. 

The drive and feel of the car was great and I have yearned to drive it again. I agree, the looks and comments were a great confidence booster. 

IMG_20190517_123116.jpg

I will be stunned if you get CarPlay installed - see the other thread on this - Lexus have backtracked on CarPlay for the LC and LS on their official UK blog.

Looks like spending £100k on a car doesn't guarantee you features of an Aygo...