Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New owner - First thoughts and fault.

Larry David

I have had my LC500 for 3 weeks now, coming from a 991 Carrera S and previous F Type. Thought I would share my first thoughts. Bought the car from Lexus Guildford, 2018 with only 12k on the clock. Test drove drove a C63S before the LC but ultimately although a great noise and engine it did not seem special enough outside a normal AMG C class. Audi R8 V10 not at my price point yet.

The LC won it for me with the engine / looks, I had to scratch the V8 itch before these are extinct. Love the fact it is two cars in one, comfortable cruiser or muscle car dependant on mood / conditions. It really does sound great once wound up although with all the rain I have only had a couple of dry outings. I specifically wanted the stealth look and found the black on black I wanted, at the time it was the only one around and had the Levinson and HUD.

Never had so many people comment when out, either nice car or what is it. The infotainment is not as bad as the press reviews would make out, yes its not intuitive but once set up I do not need to change much, just wish the climate was simpler and apple Car play was a retro fit. 

The Mark Levinson is the best stereo I have had in any car, when not booting it, this is a great sound to listen to. Interior is of a very high quality. The alloys are a bit bling for me but work with the car and no choice, just hope I don't kerb them.

Car has had the fuel pump recall done before purchase and today I found I had the stuck fuel cap whilst trying to fill up, perfect! Call to local dealer, parts on back order, with 1 other customer and will be replaced Monday. Until then need to fill up with 2 people...... 

Small known issue just hope this is the first and last as I sold the Porsche due to two major water leaks in a year and lost confidence in the car. 

Apart from this really enjoying it, be interesting to see how bad the depreciation over years 3-5. Alex.

B2AE49E2-D4AE-467C-9761-8A279422A439.heic

• Like 3

Congrats,

As far as I am aware apple Car Plays is retrofit (update) on LC, I haven't seen anyone showing how they done it, but many owners claimed it is not available on post 2018 Models. 

ML and HUD were standard on all LCs, thought. Climate is apparently automatic (Lexus Climate Concierge) in LC, so in theory you don't need to change anything - set temperature and car will decide which vents to use and when to heat or cool the seat. Cannot comment how well it works in long term thought. System is newer version of one fit in LS:

https://blog.lexus.co.uk/what-is-lexus-climate-concierge-and-how-does-it-work/

Hi Alex and welcome,

I can echo most of your thoughts .

As discussed in another thread,the fuel flap is a known issue and may or not be sorted with the revised parts.Mine has been good all summer and its definitely a temperature related fault.

Levinson is great as you say when not listening to the exhausts!

Enjoy.

A J.

2 minutes ago, AJ500 said:

ML and HUD are not standard on any LC.

Technically... although please show me the UK delivered car which does not have ML. Same for RC-F and GS-F... they all have it fitted. As for HUD, I am less confident, but most cars have it and thus I assumed it was as well fitted to all, I am yet to see one without. 

Dont want to derail this thread but there are at least 2 cars on Autotrader which dont have ML and one of the main dealer cars I looked at last year didnt have it.

No doubt most will have been specced with it as its so good.

Mine doesn't have ML or HUD. I didn't order the HUD from new as the F-style digital speedo is just fine. We have the HUD on our NX and, while this is nice, I am not really bothered about it. As for the ML, well, I only listen to talk radio (or the exhausts).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Larry David said:

I have had my LC500 for 3 weeks now, coming from a 991 Carrera S and previous F Type. Thought I would share my first thoughts. Bought the car from Lexus Guildford, 2018 with only 12k on the clock. Test drove drove a C63S before the LC but ultimately although a great noise and engine it did not seem special enough outside a normal AMG C class. Audi R8 V10 not at my price point yet.

The LC won it for me with the engine / looks, I had to scratch the V8 itch before these are extinct. Love the fact it is two cars in one, comfortable cruiser or muscle car dependant on mood / conditions. It really does sound great once wound up although with all the rain I have only had a couple of dry outings. I specifically wanted the stealth look and found the black on black I wanted, at the time it was the only one around and had the Levinson and HUD.

Never had so many people comment when out, either nice car or what is it. The infotainment is not as bad as the press reviews would make out, yes its not intuitive but once set up I do not need to change much, just wish the climate was simpler and Apple Car play was a retro fit. 

The Mark Levinson is the best stereo I have had in any car, when not booting it, this is a great sound to listen to. Interior is of a very high quality. The alloys are a bit bling for me but work with the car and no choice, just hope I don't kerb them.

Car has had the fuel pump recall done before purchase and today I found I had the stuck fuel cap whilst trying to fill up, perfect! Call to local dealer, parts on back order, with 1 other customer and will be replaced Monday. Until then need to fill up with 2 people...... 

Small known issue just hope this is the first and last as I sold the Porsche due to two major water leaks in a year and lost confidence in the car. 

Apart from this really enjoying it, be interesting to see how bad the depreciation over years 3-5. Alex.

B2AE49E2-D4AE-467C-9761-8A279422A439.heic 2.66 MB · 9 downloads

As mentioned HUD and ML is a option, although i think most of the initial LC's brought into the country were for the dealership demonstraters so full spect out, sport+ models which is why you don't see many basic models for sale 

fuel cap has been done, haven't had a problem since.

fuel pump does not need doing on a 2017 year, seems odd as you would have thought that the very first models would have needed to be done so what changed from 2018 i don't know.

latest software is number 17. i did have a slight problem with the screen freezing but this update has seemed to have solved that. update number 19 will be out by the end if the month, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wendle said:

As mentioned HUD and ML is a option, although i think most of the initial LC's brought into the country were for the dealership demonstraters so full spect out, sport+ models which is why you don't see many basic models for sale 

Yes , sorry - that may have been where I gone wrong. As I remember in the beginning all cars definitely had it. I assumed this would continue (like it did on RC-F).

21 hours ago, AJ500 said:

ML and HUD are not standard on any LC.

Correct, they are in fact the only two options available to Sport+ models.

My MY2019 fuel flap has started sticking now it’s cold and I am fairly sure I will have the revised design. I’m going to spray WD40 into the hinge area and stick some rubber pads to the back side of the flap to give it a bit more spring. 

Stuart,

I used 3 in 1 Silicone Lubricant as I thought WD40 might evaporate off and not keep lubricating.The foam pad is probably the key here to gently force the flap open.
A J.

On 11/10/2020 at 4:19 PM, Linas.P said:

Technically... although please show me the UK delivered car which does not have ML. Same for RC-F and GS-F... they all have it fitted. As for HUD, I am less confident, but most cars have it and thus I assumed it was as well fitted to all, I am yet to see one without. 

I also came across a couple GSFs without the ML fitted. Initially my ideal specification  was a white exterior with full black leather and the ML. The only GSF I could find in 2 years of looking  with this exterior-interior combination came without the ML fitted. 

personally i don't think lubricant will help, nothing is sticking, its just the spring which is not strong enough, which has been mentioned is what back in the mechanism, i don't understand why owners of a 90k car are sticking pieces of rubber in the flap to make it work propley when there there is a free fix

@Wendle

Just to be clear, I have had the "fix" done. The flap is better but still stays closed about 1 in 3 operations even with my bit of foam rubber.

When the new flap mechanism was fitted, my car was in the dealer for an extended period as they needed an additional part. I just couldn't be bothered to go through this again.

51 minutes ago, wendle said:

personally i don't think lubricant will help, nothing is sticking, its just the spring which is not strong enough, which has been mentioned is what back in the mechanism, i don't understand why owners of a 90k car are sticking pieces of rubber in the flap to make it work propley when there there is a free fix

I was assuming mine already has the revised mechanism as a MY2019 - is there any way to tell?

4 minutes ago, Stuart-S said:

I was assuming mine already has the revised mechanism as a MY2019 - is there any way to tell?

no not by just looking at it, if you sign into your Lexus link app it will show you all the work / services done on the car

I think the latest replacement flap mechanism was released during early 2020,so you probably dont have it.

malcolmw on here said on another thread that he had the latest one fitted under warranty but it is now sticking again.

The lubrication worked on mine last winter and I backed it up with the tiny piece of foam.2 minute job.If it now fails I will speak to Lexus but its a back seat and trim out job and I have just gone through that with the fuel pump.

A J.

16 minutes ago, wendle said:

no not by just looking at it, if you sign into your Lexus link app it will show you all the work / services done on the car

Nothing in there about the fuel flap, but I would've thought if they revised the mechanism at some point they would've started manufacturing them with the new mechanism as standard surely?

Edit: Never mind, I see AJ said my car pre-dates the latest revision.

Just now, AJ500 said:

I think the latest replacement flap mechanism was released during early 2020,so you probably dont have it.

malcolmw on here said on another thread that he had the latest one fitted under warranty but it is now sticking again.

The lubrication worked on mine last winter and I backed it up with the tiny piece of foam.2 minute job.If it now fails I will speak to Lexus but its a back seat and trim out job and I have just gone through that with the fuel pump.

Ah right, I've literally just had the fuel pump done so I am loathed to send it back to the dealer and have it pulled apart again so soon, especially if even the new mechanism is prone to sticking.

I did also think about vertically widening the hole where the retaining bolt slips in, but I will go non-destructive to begin with!

Agreed.Non destructive is the best bet,or it may cause issues getting the warranty repair if you need it.

Hope the lubrication works but you need to get the flexible spray tube right round the hinge.Mine certainly swivels more smoothly afterwards ,which must help.

Good luck.

A J.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:43 AM, wendle said:

fuel cap has been done, haven't had a problem since.

fuel pump does not need doing on a 2017 year, seems odd as you would have thought that the very first models would have needed to be done so what changed from 2018 i don't know.

latest software is number 17. i did have a slight problem with the screen freezing but this update has seemed to have solved that. update number 19 will be out by the end if the month, 

Chris, software updates... Do they automatically download to the car...? I have set up the wifi on my car... thanks Kevin

My fuel filler car seems fine, it was done in Dec 2019

IMG_2260.PNG

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links