Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shifting with paddles

Hey all. I've noticed since I've owned the beast, that sometimes I click to shift gear and nothing happens. It can take a couple of clicks to change gear.

Has anybody else noticed this?

It also frustrates me i don't seem to have full manual control, even with the lever shifted over to M,  it changes for me sometimes, rather annoying.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Arqum said:

Is this when the engine is cold?? I wouldn’t manual shift the car till it’s fully warmed up and have 2 bars on the oil display.

No definitely not. This is after a long cruise up the m1.

I treat the engine like its made from glass until its warm.

13 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

Hey all. I've noticed since I've owned the beast, that sometimes I click to shift gear and nothing happens. It can take a couple of clicks to change gear.

Has anybody else noticed this?

It also frustrates me i don't seem to have full manual control, even with the lever shifted over to M,  it changes for me sometimes, rather annoying.

Cheers

I’m guessing the set up in the RCF is the same as the GSF. 

I have noticed on our GSF that there is sometimes a bit of a delay when shifting with the paddles in Normal mode when the car is in Auto. However the car doesn’t shift up when in manual mode. Even when it is in auto and I’ve down shifted with the paddles, it doesn’t seem to shift up again afterwards, as I’ve been caught out a couple of times. 

1 minute ago, Arqum said:

Then no never had it.... does it do the same paddles and gear lever?

I think it is more paddles than using the lever, but tbf I don't really use the lever to shift.

Sorry I forgot to say RCF, but I guess could also apply to GSF.

The 8 speed ZF on my Alfa was just so much more crisp on the shift.

It definitely isn't a delay, its a... "what did you want again?"... click a second time, "oh right" here you go thing.

I find it frustrating especially when I'm enjoying a spirited drive.

Love the car, but this is one of very few negative points for me.

Not noticed anything on mine, she will downshift on her own when slowing BUT that’s only for better acceleration when heading back up the range, if in normal mode when I paddle down I sometimes feel the need to downshift once or twice for better lift.

I've not taken her out for a while, if we get some better weather, I'll do some experimenting with it.

It might be harsh comparing her with the Alfa which is a renowned drivers car, but its my last car experience so its natural to compare.

Cheers all for comments 👍 

I think it is more paddles than using the lever, but tbf I don't really use the lever to shift.
Sorry I forgot to say RCF, but I guess could also apply to GSF.
The 8 speed ZF on my Alfa was just so much more crisp on the shift.
Yes, I test drove a 2.0 Giulia and the gearbox on that is a revelation. It is incredibly quick to shift and made the ISF shifting seem lethargic. However my ISF always changes up and down when I request it to do so.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

She is under the extended warranty, so if I notice it again, I will mention to Lexus. I guess it could be an electrical or software gremlin.

I think you should contact your local dealer as it is not normal, I never had such problem with my RCF in fact mine is very responsive unlike some people complain maybe it depends on model year of the car but do reach them and keep us posted 🙂 

I can't say that I have ever had an apparant "issue" with any of the 3 F's that I have had.

From what I recall with the ISF if I ever got over excited with the downshift and shifted in quick succession the car may only drop one gear as opposed to the elected two or two as opposed to the three. I never felt that the car was been unreasonable however, at the time I was driving XKR, Vantage and for a short stint, GTR and in comparison, in the downshift, those gearboxes were by far so much more responsive to rapid inputs. But as I said earlier, I never felt that the ISF was been unreasonable and for a road car with fair inputs all was quite acceptable.

Maybe set up a go pro around the passenger headrest so that you can review the footage and see what is in fact going on.

Do you come from a German / DSG background?

6 minutes ago, Fair and square said:

I can't say that I have ever had an apparant "issue" with any of the 3 F's that I have had.

From what I recall with the ISF if I ever got over excited with the downshift and shifted in quick succession the car may only drop one gear as opposed to the elected two or two as opposed to the three. I never felt that the car was been unreasonable however, at the time I was driving XKR, Vantage and for a short stint, GTR and in comparison, in the downshift, those gearboxes were by far so much more responsive to rapid inputs. But as I said earlier, I never felt that the ISF was been unreasonable and for a road car with fair inputs all was quite acceptable.

Maybe set up a go pro around the passenger headrest so that you can review the footage and see what is in fact going on.

Do you come from a German / DSG background?

Never had a DSG, I had a 640d and after that the Alfa Giulia (2.0 not 2.9).

I may have just been spoilt by my alfas box, but I will mention to lexus.

28 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

Never had this with my RCF. Sounds like a bit more experimentation is in order, then a trip to a dealer

Yep, oh dear, I'll have to go out for a blast, what a shame 😄

Just took her for a blast, let the redline move around to 7000, oil temp showing 25% and moved to M and sport +. 

2 or 3 times i went to upshift at over 2000 rpm from 5th-6th but it took 2 or 3 attempts to change,  downshift was fine on every selection.

Tried using the lever and probably a coincidence it shifted each time perfectly.

After those 2 or 3 occasions it worked flawlessly, I was regularly shifting up and down through different rev ranges and it shifted each time.

It down shifts automatically during low speed manoeuvring just in case you're an idiot and forget lol 😆 

I have noticed it gets confused occasionally when flipping from M to D and it remains in D but seems to want me to continue shifting manually. It appears to stay like this until I switch between the 2 modes again sometimes.

7 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

Just took her for a blast, let the redline move around to 7000, oil temp showing 25% and moved to M and sport +. 

2 or 3 times i went to upshift at over 2000 rpm from 5th-6th but it took 2 or 3 attempts to change,  downshift was fine on every selection.

Tried using the lever and probably a coincidence it shifted each time perfectly.

After those 2 or 3 occasions it worked flawlessly, I was regularly shifting up and down through different rev ranges and it shifted each time.

It down shifts automatically during low speed manoeuvring just in case you're an idiot and forget lol 😆 

I have noticed it gets confused occasionally when flipping from M to D and it remains in D but seems to want me to continue shifting manually. It appears to stay like this until I switch between the 2 modes again sometimes.

Upshift!

No experience on this at all, sorry!

Up shift in sport @ 2000 rpm possibly wouldn’t respond due to being in manual sport mode?.....the car is wanting u to drive it, possibly slots in once it’s realised u actually want a higher gear at low rpm, as for sliding over to D from M I think it takes around 30 seconds to register that you want to change driving modes from sport to daisy 😉......I’d check the gear response at higher rpm like 4K.....could just be driving styles and wrong modes for the car 

4 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

Up shift in sport @ 2000 rpm possibly wouldn’t respond due to being in manual sport mode?.....the car is wanting u to drive it, possibly slots in once it’s realised u actually want a higher gear at low rpm, as for sliding over to D from M I think it takes around 30 seconds to register that you want to change driving modes from sport to daisy 😉......I’d check the gear response at higher rpm like 4K.....could just be driving styles and wrong modes for the car 

Yeah I did consider that, however it started to suggest shifting up at similar revs shortly after 😆

I was stuck behind a slower car 😄

It may or may not help but is an ECU reset possible ? 

There's a thread here where further down the page a poster with a GSF mentions I've found it resets the throttle position sensor and the gearbox shift points. If the car has started to feel a little lazy, this spices things up a bit. 

What driving mode do you experience this in?

Mine definitely does not work properly in Normal mode....but Sport & Sport+ it is very responsive - excellent changes actually 🙂

I also notice the redline in Normal mode moves around the rev counter as the car warms up....anyone else?

9 minutes ago, BillNick said:

What driving mode do you experience this in?

Mine definitely does not work properly in Normal mode....but Sport & Sport+ it is very responsive - excellent changes actually 🙂

I also notice the redline in Normal mode moves around the rev counter as the car warms up....anyone else?

Yes the redline moves around as she warms up, its a nice touch 👌 

Neither of my Fs ever did this.

However, both, on several ocassions made a clunk going in to first.

I don't think Lexus got the F gearboxes at all right. In auto, pain in the bum deseperate to get in to eighth gear. In manual, unecessarily jerky. Real shame.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links