Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

P0016 and P0017

Dave Peate

Hi, new member, hoping to get some advice. 2006 gs450h, seemingly a well talked about subject so apologies if this is not too exciting! I get either one of these codes from time to time, clears itself usually within a few days, in the meantime the car drives perfectly. However, I also get the cold starter vvti noise that people mention a lot, and it's got more frequent, in line with how often the codes come up. I spoke to Dave at lextech some while back, before the world went covid mad. He was one helpful chap and suggested the vvti mechanism on the inlet side of either bank is well known to fail. My question is, has anyone had this issue and resolved it without great expense? The eml only comes on after a cold start or when the engine had been off long enough for the oil to drain back from the vvti system. Might be grasping at straws here but is it possible the code is triggered by the temporary lack of oil pressure on start up? I also read one post where a mod was created to eliminate the cold start chatter, not been able to find the write up, although that might be me being stupid! Any help is appreciated folks, frustrating issue with an otherwise sublime car. 

18 hours ago, Dave Peate said:

My question is, has anyone had this issue and resolved it without great expense?

Hi Dave.
The codes you are getting is almost certainly due to timing chain ware. The start up rattle is likely to be the cam phasers draining of oil, and not being locked by the locking pins. You can change the timing chain without dismantling the front of the engine, but without replacing the chain guides. The cam phasers could also be changed this way if you undo the cam bearings, and lift the cams.
Fitting a pre-lube system cures the problem of the startup rattle, and has another beneficial attribute of reducing engine ware. If I can be of any assistance just ask.

John. 

5 hours ago, Britprius said:

Hi Dave.
The codes you are getting is almost certainly due to timing chain ware. The start up rattle is likely to be the cam phasers draining of oil, and not being locked by the locking pins. You can change the timing chain without dismantling the front of the engine, but without replacing the chain guides. The cam phasers could also be changed this way if you undo the cam bearings, and lift the cams.
Fitting a pre-lube system cures the problem of the startup rattle, and has another beneficial attribute of reducing engine ware. If I can be of any assistance just ask.

John. 

Thanks John. I'll get booked in with lextech, Dave there seemed to suspect vvti and suggested timing chains weren't unheard of but less common. I can't complain really, only paid 3200 for it with a full history etc. Dave at lextech said c.1100 for a new chain and if it is that and I get it done, I imagine the car will be fine for many a year. I only do 6-7k a year. I'll have a read up on your pre-lube system too.

Dave