Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Licence plate lamps 2005 facelift sc 430

david foster

My LED lamps have both failed, wiring checked and power to the lamps is fine.

Apparently lamps cannot be replaced individually, complete assembly needed [part number 81270-24041] priced aT £133.

Does anyone know of such a model being dismantled.

Thanks for looking,

Dave F.

There was one being broken on the forums recently but appears to have gone now, one on eBay but no year details.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breaking-Lexus-SC430-Black-leather-Convertable/283776017464?hash=item42125e6438:g:se8AAOSwszVePtMq

If you are still stuck I would be happy to see if I could replace the LEDs for you.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 11:52 AM, steve2006 said:

There was one being broken on the forums recently but appears to have gone now, one on ebay but no year details.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breaking-Lexus-SC430-Black-leather-Convertable/283776017464?hash=item42125e6438:g:se8AAOSwszVePtMq

If you are still stuck I would be happy to see if I could replace the LEDs for you.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

I have just looked at the one on E bay and by the rear lamp cluster housing it seems to be an earlier car.

Mine was at Wigan Auto Electrics last week who tell me that the lamps are sealed unit LED's with no connectors.  They tell my that if I aquired a complete assembly they could fit entirely which would mean removal of the rear bumper or they could cut the lead and form a connection which would not require the bumper to be removed.  The complete assembly is available from Lexus Parts [81270-24041] at £133 odd.

I am intrigued as to how you could fix and would be happy to travel to Derbyshire.

Cheers
Dave.

Odd if both LEDs have failed. The connector is behind the trim inside the boot Can you gently pry one of the lamps from out of the bumper and take a picture of the sealed unit? There's not much wire to allow it to move until it is disconnected within the car.

I remember swapping the assembly into my custom rear bumper and cutting the holes left and right for them but I don't have any pics of the lights themselves close up. I'm not sure that it does need to be removed but the bumper has fixings behind the wheel arches, at the back, on the corners within the boot and on the sides in the form of a plastic strip. It's not too difficult but takes time and best done with help to avoid scratching the paintwork. 

Actually if I get time tomorrow I will remove the spare wheel and take a look myself.

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest.  I have looked on the USA Lexus Owners club where the have been similar issues.

I managed to extract the lamps and I can see that there are no external connectors but there is a length of wires sufficient to allow for a connection if I could obtain lamps with wires attached.  It would however be better to make any connections inside the boot.

I attach some photos to display

1972221010_20201117_1009201.thumb.jpg.3579adf90ac4b5e535dd3abc05e17c08.jpg

20201117_101055[1].jpg

20201117_101126[1].jpg

• Like 1

Good work. ! So they do appear to be sealed units.

I'm sure the electrical engineer has done this but have you located the plug connector in the boot and do you have access to a multimeter to test for power and earth to confirm their findings? I just wonder why both lamps have failed. 

On the US site it seemed that with some effort, it might be possible to fit new lamps without removing the bumper. 

I have just bought from e-bay an assembly with lamps off a 2005/9 GS 300 which appear to be LED's wired directly into the lamps.

These are not an exact match but for £20 I will see if I can compromise.  However I have just noticed that they are rated as .85w whereas the fuse is .75.

I will let you know how I get on.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links