Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Members,

i have had my Lexus RX 300 for 191,000 miles.it has served me well and I want to buy a used RX 300. I have found, what I consider a to be a too good to be true used car. It is a 2005 and only done 39000 miles. However, I went to see it today and apart from a few minor scuffs it looks in mint condition but, the service history is only up to 2013 . The mot is valid up to 2021, but according to the service history the mileage was 31000 in 2013 and now it is 39000 but no service history since 2013 or proof of MOT’s in between. Also the central locking does not work and the garage say it just needs a new Battery and it is sold as seen. As a new Battery costs around £2.00 I’m a little suspect as to why they have not replaced it to prove the central locking works. I know this can be expensive. I have suggested an AA report and they told me the AA will probably not inspect it as it’s too old. I’ve contacted the AA and they say they can inspect any car. Apart from my own concerns as to the validity of the mileage could anyone tell me why the programming of the key may not work apart from the obvious faulty Battery ?

1C63D941-9EE9-4109-8962-258E83DA5478.jpeg

Service history may be missing but MOTs have been done and mileage recorded. Click this link for info

The lack of service history isn't too concerning. Previous owner may have been good with spanners and a hobby mechanic and more than capable of servicing it themselves, or they could have a mate who's a mechanic and did it for 'mates rates'.

Looking at the MOT history it's not done a great lot of miles each year so maybe the car Battery went flat and wasn't noticed for a while, which means the central locking may just need reprogramming/resetting, or maybe it really is just as simple as needing a new fob Battery.

Regarding the central locking. Does the central locking work by turning the key in the driver's door lock? 

If the fob Battery is dead the central locking will still work on the door lock. If not, then as Herbs suggested, it may need programming or simply a blown fuse. I very much doubt all the solenoids have blown - like my father-in-law's Citroen !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sasbambam said:

I have found, what I consider a to be a too good to be true used car. It is a 2005 and only done 39000 miles.

It's a common misconception that low miles is better when most of the time the opposite is true. Miles don't kill a car, years do. Low mileage is an immediate red flag as it'll either have done a lot of short trips which isn't ideal or worse has been sat not driven for extended periods. A 2005 with 150k on it would be a much better buy as it'll have done a fair bit of motorway mileage which keeps the oil clean and the engine healthy.

• Like 2

Well, as declared elsewhere on the Forum I've recently bought an (06) IS250 with just 29k on the clock. Since my purchase it's been put through a comprehensive check and a service. Oil was remarkably clean, filters weren't bad, suspension, brakes, water pump etc all cleared as fine, so I guess it's been well looked after and probably garaged too. The only requirement is two tyres that are showing signs of age-related cracking. ☺️

So yes, maybe age is more of a factor to some than mileage but I chose not to rule out a low mileage vehicle despite that fact that it too didn't appear to have had a full service or an oil change for over 6 years! 🤔

Horses for courses I'd say ... but only if the price is right and there are no obvious defects. 😉

PS ... I did check that it had been used inbetween MOT's rather than sitting idle for long periods, that would have made me think twice. 🤨

• Like 1

I prefer low mileage Lexus cars. Less wear on ALL components.

Just my opinion but my THREE examples confirm my position. Having said that, look at condition FIRST and service history. A lower mileage car does not necessarily mean a well looked after car. V8orbust has a car for sale with a higher mileage but it has been very well maintained. Mileage on these Lexus cars is not everything ..... it is how well they have been looked after. Even a low mileage example can be rough. Look first at the overall condition, number of owners, mileage, service history and then decide.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, katabrontes said:

If it is that one it looks expensive to me.  I reckon my 2006 RX350 with 60K is probably worth about £4K max.

+ 1

I'd check underneath for rust and behind the rear trim for rust and corrosion.

Is it an SE?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Regarding the central locking. Does the central locking work by turning the key in the driver's door lock? 

If the fob battery is dead the central locking will still work on the door lock. If not, then as Herbs suggested, it may need programming or simply a blown fuse. I very much doubt all the solenoids have blown - like my father-in-law's Citroen !

Yes the central locking does work i you out the key in the door . 

14 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

If the fob battery is dead the central locking will still work on the door lock. If not, then as Herbs suggested, it may need programming or simply a blown fuse. I very much doubt all the solenoids have blown - like my father-in-law's Citroen !

Garages are sometimes very reluctant to fit a new Battery if the screw is worn. If they mess up the key, they are then liable to supply you with a new one. Lexus have refused to replace my Battery and I believe that to be the reason. I just use the lock, not as convenient but nothing that I can't live with on both my cars.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sasbambam said:

Hi Members,

i have had my Lexus RX 300 for 191,000 miles.it has served me well and I want to buy a used RX 300. I have found, what I consider a to be a too good to be true used car.

Can you post the ad for it?

3 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Thank you.

It does 'look' nice - had a great valet. ( Worn key knob? )

have to say a few scratches on the wood and driver seat?

But yes, a LOT of £ for a car that's 15 years old...

4 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I do not deal with Organisations that conceal Reg Nos.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PCM said:

Oddly, entering the car reg., into the AA Inspection price check website, it says;

Unfortunately we are unable to inspect that vehicle

See our Terms and Conditions

If you would like to discuss this further please call us on 0800 056 8040

I could not see the Reg, Piers !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links