Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering problem

Hi all, only just joined the forums.

RE: IS300h 64 plate 42k miles.

On 22/9/20 I changed my two front tyres to Michelin Pilot Sports 225/45/17 91Y (the same tyre I had on the fronts before) and got the wheel alignment done, everything seemed ok, but my steering has become stiffer when turning the wheel, especially when I turn to the right and hold. Its got so stiff that my right upper arm is aching from turning the wheel. I've done a bit of research on the forums and I havent been able to find anyone with similar symtpon's. I read something about the TSB on the steering and a possible hydraulic software which controls the gears in the steering, but I'm not that clued up on what the problem could be.

Can anyone help me out on why the steering has become so stiff suddenly? The steering use to be so easy to maneuver before this problem started.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, only just joined the forums.
RE: IS300h 64 plate 42k miles.
On 22/9/20 I changed my two front tyres to Michelin Pilot Sports 225/45/17 91Y (the same tyre I had on the fronts before) and got the wheel alignment done, everything seemed ok, but my steering has become stiffer when turning the wheel, especially when I turn to the right and hold. Its got so stiff that my right upper arm is aching from turning the wheel. I've done a bit of research on the forums and I havent been able to find anyone with similar symtpon's. I read something about the TSB on the steering and a possible hydraulic software which controls the gears in the steering, but I'm not that clued up on what the problem could be.
Can anyone help me out on why the steering has become so stiff suddenly? The steering use to be so easy to maneuver before this problem started.
Thanks in advance.

I would be inclined to visit your dealer when possible and have them look at it for you.
They would be able to advise of any TSBs as well

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 1:18 PM, JJ86 said:

I read something about the TSB on the steering and a possible hydraulic software which controls the gears in the steering, but I'm not that clued up on what the problem could be.

As far as I'm aware there are no hydraulics in the power steering of hybrids, it's all electric.

Are there any OBD2 codes showing?

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 11:55 PM, Herbie said:

As far as I'm aware there are no hydraulics in the power steering of hybrids, it's all electric.

Are there any OBD2 codes showing?

Hi , thanks for the reply.

I've got no warnings at all on the dash. The strange thing is that after driving the car throughout the day, suddenly the steering can easy up a bit, maybe once the tyres have warmed up it eases up but not always, but its still not the same as before. I use to be able to steer with two fingers, but I have to proper grip the wheel now with my whole hand and hold on firmly. Its maybe like the power steering is cutting out, I'm not sure whats going on tbh. 

On 11/19/2020 at 11:20 PM, Jayw13702 said:

I would be inclined to visit your dealer when possible and have them look at it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks for the reply. I rang Lexus UK and they said that there isnt any recalls at all on the car.

4 hours ago, JJ86 said:

I've got no warnings at all on the dash.

You won't get OBD2 fault codes "on the dash" - you need an OBD2 code reader like any of these here or Techstream to find out what's going on.

It may be that no codes have been generated anyway but if they have, that makes the job ten times easier because the codes are the first step to logically diagnosing what's wrong. Without a code as a starting point it's just complete guesswork.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Herbie said:

You won't get OBD2 fault codes "on the dash" - you need an OBD2 code reader like any of these here or Techstream to find out what's going on.

It may be that no codes have been generated anyway but if they have, that makes the job ten times easier because the codes are the first step to logically diagnosing what's wrong. Without a code as a starting point it's just complete guesswork.

Hi Herbs, thanks for your reply.

That is strange that I'm not getting at least a warning on the dash if there is a problem, with every other car I've had if there is a problem I would usually get a warning light on the dash. I will have to check this out then. 

Cheers.

On 11/19/2020 at 11:20 PM, Jayw13702 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 

If not, take it to Japex in Kings Langley?

Personally I would be making a return visit to the place that did the tyre change and tracking, if all was OK before what has been done to cause the problem now?

Did they actually adjust the tracking or just check it and it was within specification?

Also check the tyre pressures are correct.

There is a TSB applying to your car regarding a steering problem but only up to 2013 models.

34492EB5-C73C-424D-817F-BDDCD34798C1.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Personally I would be making a return visit to the place that did the tyre change and tracking, if all was OK before what has been done to cause the problem now?

Did they actually adjust the tracking or just check it and it was within specification?

Also check the tyre pressures are correct.

There is a TSB applying to your car regarding a steering problem but only up to 2013 models.

34492EB5-C73C-424D-817F-BDDCD34798C1.png

Now this is interesting! Mines a 2014 so only a year out!

I went back to the place that did my tracking 6 times. When they originally tracked the car before any adjustments, the rear right tyre was out, so they adjusted that and they said it would knock  the front left out so they adjust that too. When I drove out of the garage, I started to get a slight pull to the left but the steering was ok not stiff. Over time the steering has started to become stiffer. So i went to Lexus Hatfield and they tracked it, and the wheels were a bit out still even after I tracked it orginally, so they made more adjustments, but it took them 4 times to do it as my steering wheel was off centre. But i still wasnt happy and Lexus Hatfield gave up in the end and refunded me. So now I'm here for help as my IS300h tracking/steering is buggered and car pulls to the left. The car was fine before I got it tracked drove straight, but after straightening all the wheels on a Hunter machine originally then going to Lexus Hatfield, the wheel alignment has been messed up, but all 4 wheels are straight. It feels like something is knocking the alignment out on the left side, hence the pull. I'm a bit stuck with a sore right arm from holding the wheel to the right all the time. 😞

• Sad 1

Has a zero point calibration been done on the steering? After tracking adjustment has been carried out this is required so that the electric power steering ECU knows where the strait ahead position of the steering is. You may be fighting against the power steering if calibration is not done.

John.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Has a zero point calibration been done on the steering? After tracking adjustment has been carried out this is required so that the electric power steering ECU knows where the strait ahead position of the steering is. You may be fighting against the power steering if calibration is not done.

John.

Hi John, thanks for your reply.

When i took the car to Lexus Hatfield to do the wheel alignment, they did mention that the Steering Wheel Sensor software had been updated? Is this the same as calibrating the electric power steering rack/ECU? I would of thought that Lexus would of done this after i went back their four times. 

Cheers

Morning,

Well as of the past few days, my steering has become much lighter to turn as if its almost back to normal, it seems that the Steering ECU may have auto-calibrated itself maybe?? Would it do that? 

2 hours ago, JJ86 said:

the Steering ECU may have auto-calibrated itself

I have not heard of this happening, but it "may" be possible. It is a requirement however that the steering ECU be reset each time the steering is tracked. Please keep us informed of any developments with this.

John.

3 minutes ago, Britprius said:

I have not heard of this happening, but it "may" be possible. It is a requirement however that the steering ECU be reset each time the steering is tracked. Please keep us informed of any developments with this.

John.

Hi John, thanks for the reply and for your helpful advice.

I have an appointment tomorrow with a local garage who did the wheel alignment on my car using a Supertracker machine, which seemed to be very good and more accurate than the Hunter machines. I rang them this morning and told them about calibrating/resetting the Steering ECU. They told me that they are going to ring Lexus and get back to me. 

The steering is much better now though and isnt hurting my arm when steering, thats how stiff it was before to cause such aching in the arm.

As soon as I get any developments I will get back to you.

Cheers.

19 minutes ago, JJ86 said:

I have an appointment tomorrow with a local garage who did the wheel alignment

The reason the steering ECU has to be reset is for the following reason.
If the wheel alignment is out, but the car drives strait with the steering wheel strait it may be that only one wheel on the car is out of specification. This may be on the front or rear of the car. Lets imagine it's a rear wheel that is out of position "but could just as easily be a front". The wheel is adjusted, and now the rear of the car will steer slightly in one direction or the other from it's original setting.
The steering wheel will now need to be turned one way or the other to run the car strait to compensate for this, but the power steering ECU believes the steering wheel is out of the strait ahead position adding power effect to the steering when it should not. I hope that makes sense.

John.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Britprius said:

The reason the steering ECU has to be reset is for the following reason.
If the wheel alignment is out, but the car drives strait with the steering wheel strait it may be that only one wheel on the car is out of specification. This may be on the front or rear of the car. Lets imagine it's a rear wheel that is out of position "but could just as easily be a front". The wheel is adjusted, and now the rear of the car will steer slightly in one direction or the other from it's original setting.
The steering wheel will now need to be turned one way or the other to run the car strait to compensate for this, but the power steering ECU believes the steering wheel is out of the strait ahead position adding power effect to the steering when it should not. I hope that makes sense.

John.  

Yes that makes sense, thank you. 

My only concern now is, the car is driving almost perfectly now but I still feel the steering is not completely back to normal and can be improved, as when i turn to the right and hold there still feels like there is too much pressure going to the left of the steering. But I'm worried that they might make things worse. 

I still haven't heard back from the alignment garage who said they were going to contact Lexus about resetting the Steering ECU. I will call them back before end of business if I dont hear anything.

Thanks again John.

On 11/24/2020 at 11:55 AM, Britprius said:

Please keep us informed of any developments with this.

John.

Hi John,

Just been on the phone to the garage who did the wheel alignment and they have contacted the wheel alignment company (Supertracker) regarding resetting the Steering ECU. They said the only time the reset would be needed if a light comes on the dashboard or if one of the axle sensors moves out of place and needs adjusting which would bring up a warning light on the dash. They also mentioned that they are still waiting to hear back from lexus who they also called. 

I will be going to the garage at 2.30pm this afternoon anyway to speak to the technician who did the tracking. I will get back to you after my visit.

• Like 2

The zero point calibration does not issue an error message or code if it is not set correctly. The method of setting the calibration is through the Toyota software called "Techstream". Most standard code readers cannot access this. You can buy a devise, and the software to connect your car to a laptop running Windows to the car. This will give dealer level of service actions, and code reading for a few pounds if you are interested in any DIY work on your car.
I can give more details if you are interested.

John. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Britprius said:

The zero point calibration does not issue an error message or code if it is not set correctly. The method of setting the calibration is through the Toyota software called "Techstream". Most standard code readers cannot access this. You can buy a devise, and the software to connect your car to a laptop running Windows to the car. This will give dealer level of service actions, and code reading for a few pounds if you are interested in any DIY work on your car.
I can give more details if you are interested.

John. 

Hi John, Ok right I didnt know that only techstream can do the calibration. They are a 3rd party garage, so they wouldnt have such a device, just a general one for all makes of vehicles. I suppose I will have to drive the car as it is for the moment then.

Hi,

Yesterday I was driving my car for most of the day and the steering became quite stiff again with the car pulling to the left. At the end of the day my right arm has started aching again due to holding the steering to the right most of the time.

So I've had no choice but to book the car in at Lexus Edgware Road and their earliest appointment is the 8th December. They said that they will need the car for the whole day to fully investigate the problem and are charging me £186 + £15 for the loan car.

Not much else I can do really, I will be taking the above TSB posted by Steve above, as I feel the symptoms of the TSB is very similar to what I am experiencing.

Cheers.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Read about all your posting. Have the issue been resolved yet ?  Cos I m having similar problem. my steering wheel pulls to the left and a reset on calibration was done after alignment using hunter.  But now it feels like after I step on the brakes at some point it pulls left . I m confused…

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 4:59 PM, JJjis said:

Hi,

Read about all your posting. Have the issue been resolved yet ?  Cos I m having similar problem. my steering wheel pulls to the left and a reset on calibration was done after alignment using hunter.  But now it feels like after I step on the brakes at some point it pulls left . I m confused…

Hi,

After months and months of stress I eventually sorted the problem out! I went to Lexus Edgware Road and was told that all IS300h naturally pull to the left, due to the heavy cambers on UK roads. The master diagnostic technician (Sunny) did the 4 wheel alignment and had to play with the front two wheels on the tracking system to make the car go perfectly straight in a line. The car drives perfectly in a straight line now, however the steering wheel sits at 11:59 when going in a straight line (in other words sits slightly to the left). I've had to get use to this now, but the car drives perfectly. 

I hope that helps you out!

It drove me nuts for months and I lost quite a bit of sleep over it! 😐

Bloody cars! Had the same problem with my Honda Accord as they have the same hydraulic suspension issues!  

I have now learnt over the years that when doing a 4 wheel alignment on any car, you dont just straighten the wheels, they should do the tracking according to the wear and tear of the cars suspension due to the heavy cambered roads in the UK! One side of the suspension will have more wear than the other side and should be tracked accordingly. But unfortunately, most 4 wheel alignment garages wont go to these lengths as it takes too long. After they track the car, they need to take it for a test drive and adjust the car again and again until it drives perfectly in a straight line. Motorway testing is the best.

Good Luck!