Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where's my nearest Tesla dealer?

My IS let me down last night. Flat 12V Battery. Lexus - I expect more of you. I know I've only done 2,300 miles since December 9th 2019 but come on - this is totally unacceptable. Luckily I have one of those fast charger USB jump starter things which got me started. Double lucky was the Battery being in the boot, so my neighbours weren't aware that I had a problem. It's shocking, absolutely shocking. I'm even tempted to go German.

Two takeaways from this:

1 - a flat IS is significantly easier to break into than a flat iQ
2 - my tongue is firmly in my cheek.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Not sure I can agree with you - although car is nearly new, the acid Battery going flat in a year is not unusual. One thing for certain - this is not Lexus specific issue and does not indicate in anyway overall car quality. Yes I find it silly that Toyota has not figured out how to use hybrid Battery instead of relying on old good acid technology, but to be fair all hybrids from all companies still have them. My assumption - this is done for specifically the same reason, when acid Battery goes flat it could be replaced (like AA batteries in remote), if they fully eliminate acid Battery and your hybrid Battery goes low, there would be literally no way of starting the car.

Funny enough, my old IS250 had new Bosch S4 fitted when I sold it off ~December 2019 and new owner told me about a month ago it gone flat as he drove only ~1000 miles. Again this is just in line how acid batteries works. If you not planning to use the car for over a month then it is better to take the Battery out or if possible to put it on Battery charger. For the same reason you will see that many "seasonal" or weekend queens have Battery disconnector for exactly the same reason - to preserve batter when they go into storage. 

Do you have any parasitic power drain somewhere? e.g. lights left on or dash-cams?

Besides - good luck driving Tesla on "one of those fast charger USB jump starters" 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't surprised Linas - I hadn't driven it for a while. My wife's Ioniq has a button to press when the 12v Battery goes flat and it sucks some juice from the hybrid Battery to start the car, so she was quite smug about this event.

There's a dashcam and I've got a Carista OBD plugged in. The dashcam is a Lexus dealer fitted one and I could take the OBD out, but I think the moral of the story here is: I should drive more!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Mincey said:

There's a dashcam and I've got a Carista OBD plugged in. The dashcam is a Lexus dealer fitted one and I could take the ODB out, but I think the moral of the story here is: I should drive more!

Absolutely!

Driving a Lexus is a privilege to be enjoyed, not a chore, so get out there and drive it every chance you get - and if chances don't occur naturally, create them! :laughing:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Absolutely!

Driving a Lexus is a privilege to be enjoyed, not a chore, so get out there and drive it every chance you get - and if chances don't occur naturally, make them! :laughing:

and if you don't drive it ensure Battery remains sufficiently charged by using appropriate trickle charger.  If you allow a Battery to go flat you shorten its life of kill it.

I note you say 'tongue in cheek', so you are doubtless aware of this anyway.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

I note you say 'tongue in cheek'

@Mincey I think that is where I gone wrong... and answered it far too seriously 😁

The camera could easily suck the Battery, I assume Lexus fitted one has a sensor to switch it off when Battery goes down, but I found that usually it is not sufficient. OBD scanners are as well good source of parasitic losses.

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

My wife's Ioniq has a button to press when the 12v battery goes flat

yeah, I really would expect that to be more common, but Ioniq is PHEV right? I guess that is where difference lies - PHEVs could afford such system as if both batteries are flat, then you still have option to simply charge the hybrid Battery and start the car.

I would even thing that it would be more sensible if hybrid Battery would be used as primary source for 12v and acid Battery only as back-up and start-up (probably I need to apply for engineer job in Lexus).

7 hours ago, Mincey said:

My IS let me down last night. Flat 12V battery. Lexus - I expect more of you. I know I've only done 2,300 miles since December 9th 2019 but come on - this is totally unacceptable. Luckily I have one of those fast charger USB jump starter things which got me started. Double lucky was the battery being in the boot, so my neighbours weren't aware that I had a problem. It's shocking, absolutely shocking. I'm even tempted to go German.

Two takeaways from this:

1 - a flat IS is significantly easier to break into than an iQ
2 - my tongue is firmly in my cheek.

Good luck trying to jump the tesla if it's Battery goes flat🤔🤣

15 hours ago, Linas.P said:

@Mincey I think that is where I gone wrong... and answered it far too seriously 😁

The camera could easily suck the battery, I assume Lexus fitted one has a sensor to switch it off when battery goes down, but I found that usually it is not sufficient. OBD scanners are as well good source of parasitic losses.

yeah, I really would expect that to be more common, but Ioniq is PHEV right? I guess that is where difference lies - PHEVs could afford such system as if both batteries are flat, then you still have option to simply charge the hybrid battery and start the car.

I would even thing that it would be more sensible if hybrid battery would be used as primary source for 12v and acid battery only as back-up and start-up (probably I need to apply for engineer job in Lexus).

Her ioniq is a petrol hybrid, not a plug in one.

12 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

A while ago I read on the LS boards some worrying reports of bulbs having to be replaced on the '89-'00 400. These stories will only push more drivers towards German marques.

1990-Lexus-LS400-101.thumb.jpg.7e586114e4d1fe46037ec2b6f87157fb.jpg

1980312181_NewBMWiXelectricSUV2020-11.thumb.jpg.d4c7390db628bbaf62f0be2997de95fe.jpg

Brilliant!  I know which one I would choose!

I don't mind big grills, as well I still prefer BMW new style over Tesla, especially inside. Tesla is just bland... That does not say anything about the technology in the car, but if we talking purely aesthetics then I find Tesla least appealing car - they could probably win against Pontiac Aztek, but that is about it - no really a high bar there.

6 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Thank you James. I`d have guessed Dacia !

I've only been to the US once so far, and there were hundreds of them out there. I was glad to get back to Dear Old Blighty.

8 hours ago, rich1068 said:

It is truly foul and I don't know if you've been following their social media campaign but they've done a pretty good job of upsetting their core market too. 

Well, its an achievement designing a car that is so incredibly hideous, ugly, unbalanced, and apparently build from 3 deifferent cars! Not everyone can do that!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links