Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake pads

Zuke

Passed it MOT today with two advisories .

brake pads getting low on the front and a tyre .

So, albeit it will have been done to death , I would be grateful for any recommendation of both please chaps .

I see on the Lexus genuine parts site ,pads for £ 45    ??

Ill look tomorrow at the tyres but if they are all low, then all four at once me thinks.

Cheers !

Alan.

Usually, I get them form eurocarparts, carparts4less, https://www.buycarparts.co.uk or similar places when they have 25-50% discounts. Just recently ordered rear pads for £19 and front ones were something like £22 with 50% discount. Now they are little bit more with 28% discount:

image.thumb.png.9e38e38c20fffbdfa19475ec65ab7155.png

And I usually get brembo pads which are somewhat better quality then Lexus OE, by no means they are great - still too much dust, but at least they do not squeal like low dust pads. And brembo in a sense is considered "premium" brand, although in case of generic parts like pads I don't feel they are that much better than OE... at least they are cheaper.

As for tyres, as always I advise to only look at premium tyres, because that is most economical option. Yes Michelins may cost £120 per tyre, but they last 4 times as long and that is not the place where I would take chances. All major brands makes good tyres - Dunlop, Goodyear, Conti so just find the size which fits and go for it.

• Thanks 1

I wasn't comparing.....however he only needs them on the front so £4.50 difference..... whats the delivery charge on buycarparts ..oh yeah £8.45

Eurocarparts is free delivery. 

• Thanks 1

yeah you right, although I would be surprised if only front pads needs changing. Probably I am not the most efficient person, but I would just replace all pads if say fronts are 2mm and rears are 4mm. Alternatively, I would still buy all 4 and keep the rears until they need replacing. Either, way up-to OP to decide what he does.

As well Blackcircles is generally good shout for tyres and let's you choose your preferred local fitter which is always nice.

• Thanks 1

yeah you right, although I would be surprised if only front pads needs changing. Probably I am not the most efficient person, but I would just replace all pads if say fronts are 2mm and rears are 4mm. Alternatively, I would still buy all 4 and keep the rears until they need replacing. Either, way up-to OP to decide what he does.
As well Blackcircles is generally good shout for tyres and let's you choose your preferred local fitter which is always nice.

Rear pads wear much much slower than fronts.
I would check the rears but even it they were at 4-6 mm I wouldn’t replace yet.

I used to run Continental tyres on my SE, I would get close to 30k out of a set at a cost of about £300 for all 4, about 18 months ago my tyre centre struggled to get my contis and recommended falkens instead, with the guarantee that if I wasn’t happy with them they would swap me back to continentals no questions asked.
I never went back to them, last as long as the contis, as quiet and give just as good economy, and £20 per tyre cheaper.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, but for £4 more you get actually excellent Goodyear Asymmetric 5s or £8 equally as good Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2s. Both award winning tyres...

In term of rear pads, it may have been just my issue (potentially sticking calipers), but even after fully refurbishing all caliper my rear pads still disappeared quite quickly. Rear disks... yes indeed those last forever. The only other thing I can suspect - as I was driving quite aggressively, rear brakes often engage due to stability control, so that might be another reason why they were wearing at the same rate as fronts.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, but for £4 more you get actually excellent Goodyear Asymmetric 5s or £8 equally as good Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2s. Both award winning tyres...
In term of rear pads, it may have been just my issue (potentially sticking calipers), but even after fully refurbishing all caliper my rear pads still disappeared quite quickly. Rear disks... yes indeed those last forever. The only other thing I can suspect - as I was driving quite aggressively, rear brakes often engage due to stability control, so that might be another reason why they were wearing at the same rate as fronts.

I suppose i look at the fact that I get through 8 tyres a year, so it all adds up.

And as I said if comfort/noise and grip and economy are the same grading then it’s all down to ££

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Which particular Flakens you run?

Because in terms of the options there are either Ziex ZE310 Ecorun Which is the cheaper £74 tyre (looking at 225s) and it is rated E for fuel economy, so I don't see how it could be better than aforementioned Dunlop or Goodyear tyres which both have B for economy. And the best Falken has on offer is C rated Ziex ZE-914B Ecorun and Azenis FK510, but both are more expensive - respectively £80 and £83.

So I am not against mid-range tyres, but as many times as I tried to find good ones - they always costs more then premium then. Good example is Uniroyal Rainsport 3 (excellent tyre actually made by Michelin) or even it's improved version Rainsport 5... yet it is third most expensive tyre on sale just after Michelins and Contis... Same here Falken Ziex ZE-914B Ecorun and Azenis FK510 looks like decent tyres, but they are more expensive then already better Goodyear and Dunlop options.

If you really want to go cheap, the only alternative I can suggest is Sava Intensa UHP 2 and Debica Presto UHP 2 (both owned and made by Goodyear/Dunlop) ... you will often see Dunlop tyres made in Slovenia and Poland and this is because they made in same factory as Sava and Debica, which sells at significant discount.

That said - again I always had reliable performance from premium tyres, wheres mid range brands tends to be hit and miss, so whatever savings you make once, you will lose double that next time. That is at least my experience.

• Thanks 1

Sadly they have stopped doing the tyre for the LS400 for the last 12 years.  It was a great tyre. I have enough in the store cupboard for one more complete change then I need to find another one.

• Thanks 1

Hi my take on this topic ,I have been servicing my car for a few years now ,used brembo pads on the last 2 sets ,no problems at all but I find them dusty ,this time I have gone for Textar as I have seen good reports but not done many miles on these yet due to the current fiasco ;Textar available front £30 rear £26 eBay ; Tyres ,as they say you pays your money ,takes your choice ! I currently run Asymmetric 3 all round good tyre very quiet (you notice this more with the hood down ) for me much better than either the Dunlops or Bridgestones used previously

Dave

• Thanks 1